• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. hartmandm

Turn signal assembly for SV

Hi Dan, I have a series 4 turn signal unit in my parts collection. Here is a picture of what I have: I can take more photos of the assembly, but I am not sure if they will be helpful for what you are trying to reassemble. Mike
  2. hartmandm

Coloured Wiring Chart for SC Alpine

I do appreciate the British spelling given the subject matter!
  3. hartmandm

Coloured Wiring Chart for SC Alpine

Hi Dan, Not sure what an "SC" alpine is :) but there are links to colored wiring diagrams here: https://sunbeamalpine.org/electrical-components/ Series I Wiring Schematic – DOWNLOAD Series II Wiring Schematic – DOWNLOAD Series 3 Wiring Schematic – DOWNLOAD Series IV Wiring Schematic – DOWNLOAD...
  4. hartmandm

Tire Recommendations 13”

Same Milestars: The white walls needed some cleaning. Mike
  5. hartmandm

No spark frustration

Looks like an aftermarket solenoid. I think I might have one of these given to me from a fellow forum member. Sounds like you have some customizations to the wiring to reverse engineer. :) Mike
  6. hartmandm

No spark frustration

If you have an ammeter, as Don is inquiring, then it would be reasonable for the #4 wire on the starter solenoid to be disconnected from the starter solenoid and not connected to something else. Mike
  7. hartmandm

No spark frustration

British wiring convention was that brown wires were always hot and unfused. I'm not quite following your comment about no connectors on the brown wires and just disappearing back into the bulkhead. Here is a picture of my series V starter solenoid before I modified my wiring to add an ammeter...
  8. hartmandm

Dashboard switch installation

Try a web search on "bezel tool for Lucas switches" Mike
  9. hartmandm

No spark frustration

Great news! I am curious about your replacement starter solenoid. The replacement starter solenoids usually aren't setup to support the cold weather starting circuit provided by the original starter solenoids. Do you have the white + green wire that goes from the starter solenoid to the...
  10. hartmandm

No spark frustration

Did you diagnose why the starter continued cranking? It could be your starter solenoid and not the ignition switch. I'd start with some continuity tests on the ignition switch with the key in the various positions. You should disconnect the power connection (brown wire) to the ignition switch...
  11. hartmandm

Distributor install

WSM 145 (for series 5 - https://sunbeamalpine.org/original-tech-manuals/) has instructions on installing a replacement distributor. Last page in the Engine-B2 section: https://sunbeamalpine.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/5-Engine-B-2.pdf Mike
  12. hartmandm

Heater Valve

I expect it will have a high probability of leaking. Good thread on replacement heater valve woes: https://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?threads/series-5-heater-water-valve.27207/ Mike
  13. hartmandm

Slave Cylinder

Yes.
  14. hartmandm

Slave Cylinder

I think the photos are inverted. I see the bleed screw is closer to the starter than the hydraulic pipe, so I think the clutch slave orientation is ok - the bleed screw is above the hydraulic pipe connection. Mike
  15. hartmandm

Slave Cylinder

Fixing the clutch won't have any impact on whether the OD works or not. The black cap is attached to the bleed screw end. You need to remove the black rubber cap from the bleed screw so you can attach a hose to the bleed screw and collect the brake fluid into some container during the bleed...
  16. hartmandm

Slave Cylinder

The bleed screw is circled. That is a black rubber dust cap on the bleed screw. You can probably pry it off with your fingers. The clutch hydraulics came from the factory with brake fluid - DOT 4. Do you know what is currently in your car? You'll want to use the same fluid as what is already...
  17. hartmandm

Slave Cylinder

Here is a picture of the clutch slave on my series V. The slave is below the starter. Bleed screw is directly above the hydraulic pipe connection (or at least it needs to be on top to bleed properly). Also pay attention to which side of the bell housing it is mounted. It needs to be on the...
  18. hartmandm

Sunbeam Alpine: Changing the Gearbox and Overdrive Oil

Maybe we are wandering a bit off original thread topic now ... :) I recall some threads on the forum about refreshing old hard rubber bits. Wintergreen oil was mentioned I think? I have a spare tunnel plug that was a bit hard. I coated it using Meguiar's rubber cleaner & conditioner and...
  19. hartmandm

Alpine Series 3 GT new owner

Hi Ken. Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have some fun ahead of you. There was a thread last year about car shipping, which might be of interest: https://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?threads/car-shipping-interstate-alpine-transport.31843/post-233643 Mike
  20. hartmandm

Hardtop color?

There is no soft top installed currently. It is on my to-do list. My father purchased a white soft top to install when he was restoring the car, but it was not installed and is still sitting in a box in my garage. I did pull the white top out of the box to check its condition and of course a...