• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. C

Push Rod Slip

Yes I have. Limped home on 3 cylinders and discovered the problem. I also discovered that the valve-clearances were way too big; since I re-adjusted them and straightened the pushrod, all has been well, Cheers Charlie
  2. C

1725 Engine Rebuild.

"Once I started looking into actually doing this, I think I was looking at about a $5000 engine or more. " Jimjordan2 That seems to be about the normal price over here. I have just finished assembling a Rover V8; machining was $3500, parts at least $1500. Most of the machining cost was fitting...
  3. C

New Member - and threw a rod

If anyone is thinking of assembling an engine, there is heaps of useful advice here. http://engineproblem.com.au/procedures/details/5/1.html Cheers Charlie
  4. C

Engine break-in?

Good idea to change the oil if it has been sitting for that long. If you don't have one, fit a magnet to the sump plug as well.
  5. C

Engine break-in?

The piston rings will need bedding-in. The best way is a variety of throttle openings on a hilly road; going up hill, use a high gear with the throttle wide open, whilst the revs are moderate, this apparently puts maximum gas pressure on the rings helping them wear to the shape of the bore...
  6. C

MGC Heater Control Valve

"Tim, To clarify, the modification is for the internals of the valve, not the hose connection point? Thanks, Mike" Yes, the modification Tim mentioned, was to control bad leaking at the control arm end of the valve. It appears that the valve is a dud at both ends! Cheers Charlie
  7. C

bearings shedding metal

I agree with Rootes 66; a crank ground in the wrong direction will also cause damage to a bearing. I remember reading an article in an "Institute of Australian Mechanical Engineers" newsletter, which showed a microscopic photograph of the surface of a freshly ground journal. Imagine stroking...
  8. C

better alternatives to leaky slip fit exhaust joints?

No I have not, but roof and gutter silicone, or high-temperature silicone for the manifold end, does seal all of the joints very well, Cheers Charlie
  9. C

Introduction.. and broken engine?

I have a S1 with the 1600 engine; it is such a delight to drive behind, think seriously about replacing it with the 1725. Nothing wrong with the bigger engine, but because it is not square, it doesn't rev nearly so freely. Welcome to the forum, I love your car! Cheers Charlie
  10. C

Schoolboy error

Old Captain Forgetful here, ties surveyors' tape onto prominent locations, with a note written on them to do something, such as; "fill gearbox". Makes it rather hard for me to forget :) Cheers Charlie
  11. C

Leaking Zenith

David, The way those hoses and pipes are clamped together is asking for trouble; the one crossing the others, will eventually wear through either itself, or the other. Try and hold them apart, or tie them together in parallel, to maximise the surface contact and reduce the effect of...
  12. C

What's your ride height?

Ride heights can be a pest on leaf-sprung cars. What is definitely worth doing, is removing the leaf-packs and giving them a birthday by separating and de-rusting; radiusing the top edge where each spring rubs on the one above; sanding down any wear steps with a flap-wheel in an angle...
  13. C

Some like it hot!..So does my Alpine Mark V

Definitely fit a thermostatic fan for slow-speed work, Cheers Charlie
  14. C

Clutch, Gasket

A thin smear of Loctite Anti-seize on the splines works well, Cheers Charlie
  15. C

LOP & Main Bearings

Pressure in a fluid system, can be defined as a resistance-to-flow. By fitting the washers you increased the force exerted by the spring and therefore; the resistance-to-flow and therefore the gauge reads higher. Whilst doing this may have increased flow to worn parts of the engine, it has...
  16. C

metal dust and glitter in oil during breakin

Looks fine to me as well! :)
  17. C

Single Carb Setup??

If "none of the electrics" worked but the starter did, inspect the fuses and connections. Clean all earths(grounds) and do some testing with a continuity meter. Having the low-tension leads to the coil reversed, will result in a weaker spark. If you buy a new coil, get one which does not...
  18. C

Door alignment

Yes it is; in fact all sorts of techniques are used by metal-shapers to get perfect gaps, such as: * Shimming the hinges - make your shim the shape of the hinge and drill holes to suit the fasteners. Use galvanised steel to avoid rusting and a variety of thicknesses. * Brute-force, as...
  19. C

steering center cross tube removal

David, When you have the separator installed and tight, give either the head of the bolt a whack with a hammer, or hit the side of the ball joint. The jarring of the blow usually frees the bond. Sometimes it is necessary to hit the joint on one side, while supporting the other side with a...
  20. C

Gear box story.

Well done indeed Sir! :)