• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. P

Diff bearings

I've learnt to cope with many surprises during the restoration of my series 111 Alpine but this one has left me gobsmacked! In the process of refurbishing the diff I went on the hunt for the bearings. When it came to sourcing the outer pinion bearing I could not find one locally so went on the...
  2. P

Hard top fittings

Hardtop parts Sorry Mark. Got the email address wrong. It should be pauldomoney64@gmail.com :confused:
  3. P

Hard top fittings

Hi Mark Yes I really do live in Zimbabwe! I don't know what a PM is but there is no reason why you cannot email me. In fact I look forward to that. pauldomoney@gmail.com is good. I did ask Rick but he could not help.
  4. P

Hard top fittings

I am in the process of restoring the hard top on my series 111 Alpine. What is missing is the aluminium frame for the perspex quarter lights. Can anyone help please?:):( Paul
  5. P

Hard top parts

I am in the process of restoring the hard top on my series 111 Alpine. I have managed to get all the rubbers and the glass but what I need is the aluminium frame that goes around the perspex quarter light. Please can anyone help.:)
  6. P

Overdrive relief valve

It has taken a long time and the gear box and overdrive have been out three times but I think I have solved the problem of the slipping overdrive. As I suspected it was the relief valve or rather the spring in the relief valve. I always suspected that the spring was too short even though it was...
  7. P

Overdrive relief valve

Thanks Mike. Look forward to hearing from you. I have looked at all the previous threads on this subject but have not come accross any discussion on the relief valve.:confused:
  8. P

Overdrive relief valve

I have still to resolve the slipping overdrive problem but having replaced the overdrive unit and gearbox for the third time I think I have narrowed down the problem to the relief valve. If this is the case then at least I don't have to remove the gearbox yet again!! I am suspicious of the...
  9. P

Manifold gaskets series 111 Alpine

I test ran the car as advised and she runs well. Since then I have been told by a local "expert" that I should have put the tin gasket to the block and that the RTV gasket maker may not last as the heat on the block is higher than the rated RTV. Pity Rootes doesn't tell us?
  10. P

Overdrive wiring route

Be careful when wiring up the overdrive switch on the gearbox. If you get the wires the wrong way round you will get a dead short.
  11. P

Manifold gaskets Well thanks for the various bits of advise. This is what I decided to do. I installed fibre gasket to block and tin gasket to manifold, dimples facing fibre gasket. We only get RTV gasket maker in Zimbabwe so I plastered that on all sides. Would love to know where to get...
  12. P

:confused:I have just received the manifold gaskets for my series 111 Alpine. The books all show two gaskets but do not tell you which goes where. To explain, one gasket is fibre and the other is metal. So the question is, does the metal one go against the block or the manifold? I tried using...
  13. P

Weber carb

Hi Rich. Thanks for that. I suppose the thick spacer (insulating washer) between manifold and carb is essential and should not be removed?
  14. P

Weber carb

It seems that most owners change their Solex carb for a Weber and my series 111 came with a Weber carb. However there is barely enough room for an air filter on top of the carb as it sits very high and I suspect that it is the wrong Weber or a very old version. The number is 28/36 DCD23. Can...
  15. P

Brake cable length

Thanks Mike for your quick response. My parts list does not give the cable length unfortunately. Maybe you have a different parts list. Life here is still good as long as you don't get involved with the politics. Lovely place for a holiday. Even my sister is coming out from UK next week for...
  16. P

Brake cable length

Hi folks The hand brake cables on my R.H.D.series 111 have stretched. We have people in Zimbabwe who make up new cables using the existing fittings but I was wondering if any one could tell me what length the cables should be. The part numbers are 254 (long cable) and 273 (short cable) in the...
  17. P

Overdrive question

Overdrive slip Hi Robin Did you ever sort out the problem with the overdrive slip? I have the same problem and would welcome any suggestions. Like you it happens after a while. The gearbox is full of oil. Cheers Paul Domoney
  18. P

Steering drop arm removal

There are four notches so it is possible to be 90 degrees out. You have to centralise the the drop arm in the steering box.
  19. P

Not sure what NASCAR is but you are welcome in Zimbabwe any time. Cheers Paul
  20. P

Many thanks for all advice. I had to apply heat and getting a good swing from under tha car proved difficult, having no pit, but now it is out and have adjusted steering. Can turn left and right now. What a relief.