• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. T L Alfreno

Windscreen removal

Acollin, I'm happy that your dash pad project turned out well, and Hodee I hope your project turns out well. The work we perform on our Alpines are often times things that we have never done before and the satisfaction and good feeling we get from accomplishing them is ....why we do it.
  2. T L Alfreno

Windscreen removal

My experience replacing the dash pad was very different from what Acollin describes. Sounds as though Acollin had to glue it to make it conform to the metal dash. My replacement pad (sourced from SS) conformed very well to the metal dash, that very nice fit is what led to my conclusion that...
  3. T L Alfreno

Windscreen removal

Hodee, I installed a new dash pad 7 years ago. The only place that I used adhesive was on the trailing edge where it wraps underneath to meet the dashboard... No regrets and don't foresee any problems. My thought process at the time was that: You are not glueing the vinyl to the top of the...
  4. T L Alfreno

Nice substitute for the seatback cardboard

After quite a bit of research trying to find a substitute material to replace the seatback cardboard, I ran across this material at a home improvement center. It's called PolyWall, it's a plastic (I'm guessing polypropylene) wall panel, it's 1/16" thick and has a nice balance of flexibility and...
  5. T L Alfreno

A Question of Quality

Have you tried Classic Sunbeams? When I needed door seals, Sunbeam Specialties was out of stock and wasn't sure when or if he'd have it in. I called Classic Sunbeam and they still had it. SS & CS share a lot of the same suppliers.
  6. T L Alfreno

Tach series V

Very well done Tom. My tach (Alpine V) works intermittently. Tapping the bezel or hitting bumps turns it off & on. I've tried insuring that the ignition wire coil is making good contact and it seems to be. My next step was to go through the internals and see if I can find a broken solder joint...
  7. T L Alfreno

Windshield frame to body gasket

Yes, the underside of the pad. The hard part is to transfer the contour of back of windshield frame to the under side of the dash pad. I used masking tape on the top of the pad so I could trace the back contour of the frame to the top of the pad. Then I measure the distance every inch or so from...
  8. T L Alfreno

Yes, the underside of the pad. The hard part is to transfer the contour of back of windshield frame to the under side of the dash pad. I used masking tape on the top of the pad so I could trace the back contour of the frame to the top of the pad. Then I measure the distance every inch or so from...
  9. T L Alfreno

Andrew... I trimmed my dash pad to the front contour of the windshield frame and removed the padding on the back of the pad to the rear contour of the frame plus 1/8". When mounting the frame to the car I identified a few spots (mostly where the windshield curves the most) where the gasket...
  10. T L Alfreno

Andrew... My Alpine is going to be strictly a sunny day leisurely driver. I did not use any sealers when installing the windshield since I don't plan on having it out if it threatens rain. I did not glue the bead on the gasket to the windshield frame and didn't really have a problem with it...
  11. T L Alfreno

I'm sorry Andrew, I realized after I submitted my reply that I highjacked your thread. I'll start a new thread. Good luck with your project... Sorry
  12. T L Alfreno

Since you said you haven't glue the pad down yet, let me throw this out to the community for comment. I installed a new dash pad last summer. During the final dry fit it occurred to me that the pad looked good, it fit the contour of the dash well, the leading edge is trapped under the windshield...
  13. T L Alfreno

Grant Steering Wheel Adapter

After reading your reply, Hodee, I tried the Mazda adaptor (part #3597). It is a very nice fit. It has the matching taper to the steering shaft. Like you pointed out, the splined portion of the adapter is a little shorter than the splined portion of the shaft, but I don't see that as an issue...
  14. T L Alfreno

After looking harder at the steering wheel to shaft connection, I think I'm giving up on finding a Grant adapter that will work. The Alpine steering shaft has a taper in front of the spline that mates with a taper in the steering wheel hub. I'm not seeing that taper on images of Mazda RX7's or...
  15. T L Alfreno

I emailed Grants Tech Support and ask them for a part # for an adapter that would fit a 5/8" 36 tooth spline. They replied simply "kit 3196". I measure my shaft at .615 and although that is .010 under 5/8 I'm assuming that would be a 5/8 splined shaft, but I'm not sure. Any thoughts out there in...
  16. T L Alfreno

Thanks for the reply George. Moto-Lita does list a hub for Alpines w/adjustable column. I would like to find a way to use the Grant steering wheel and it doesn't appear that it will bolt up to a Moto-Lita hub.... Terry
  17. T L Alfreno

I realize this topic has been fairly well discussed but please bare with me. My son gave me his Grant steering wheel that I would like to put on my 67 Alpine V w/adjustable column. I'd rather not sacrifice my original steering wheel (although it is in very poor condition) to fabricate an...
  18. T L Alfreno

Which series is this carpet?

That's funny, I looked at the picture and thought... I have no idea what series that carpet belongs to but that grass is beautiful.
  19. T L Alfreno

Dash Pad from SS or SC ?

Thanks Tom & Paul for the replies, much appreciated. I've ordered the Dash Pad from Classic Sunbeam. Curt told me it is the same pad that Rick sells at Sunbeam Specialties. Thank you Paul for sharing your compiled tips. I’m sure it will be helpful once I start the fitting and have a...
  20. T L Alfreno

Dash Pad from SS or SC ?

I'm ready to purchase a Dash Pad and wondering if there's a difference between the Dash Pad's that SS & SC sell? I recently gave Rick a rather large order and would like to divide my orders between Rick & Curt as much as possible.