• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. S

Series V Cylinder Head Questions

I like the look of those tires quite a bit actually. Are they still available from anywhere? I don't anticipate needing new tires any time soon, but you never know! The spoiler/air damn is something the previous owner made because he thought that area and being able to see the muffler was...
  2. S

Sorry it has taken so long for me to report back... We've been busy enjoying the car! Compression wasn't as good as I had hoped it might be, 130 120 138 128. Cylinder #2 is down more than it should be relative to the others, this is the same cylinder that had the damage to the head. From...
  3. S

6700 mile trip planned

Some trouble is to be expected, glad to see it is nothing major so far! Keep us posted and have fun!
  4. S

Help! Stuck Hood Latch

my PO saw fit to install a redundant pull wire as well. I'm starting to see why... :D
  5. S

Big thank you to Tom H for stepping up to the plate and parting with a few of his spare adjustment screws. Completed the cold lash tonight, and then the hot lash... Yes, that means I GOT TO DRIVE MY CAR! :D I had to tighten up the adjuster screws more than I expected between the cold...
  6. S

The tops of the studs were certainly very soft. Maybe just the round (bottom) end was hardened? It may be possible to start with something like a grade 8 bolt, but I don't know how that would compare in terms of hardness. I don't suppose the hardness is something there is a known spec for...
  7. S

Well, you guys may be interested to know, the rockers studs seem to be no longer available. Sunbeam Specialties has it in their catalog but has stocked out, has no idea when (or even if) they'll order up another batch made. Classic Sunbeam doesn't carry that part. I did find an ebay seller...
  8. S

I do have a tap/die set, but the one stud is in really really bad shape. I can't even separate the nut from the stud (either direction) without putting it in something like a vice. And if I did manage to remove it without stripping something completely, I don't think I'd trust what was left...
  9. S

When lashing the valves, I found that two of the adjuster screws and nuts had threads that were badly damaged. I was not able to get them tightened down properly since the thinner head gasket lowered the head to where the nut is into the damaged threads. Is there a known equivalent part to the...
  10. S

Got my head marked up last night, plan is to start cutting on it tonight. As I think someone mentioned, the template in the pdf doesn't print off to exactly the right size. In my case, I found it was 1/4" too small measuring longways across the combustion chamber vs the actual measurement...
  11. S

Another inconsistency I noticed with the vizard diagram is the shape of the combustion chamber. If I'm reading it right, it shows a different original shape that is more "peanut" like for the 1725 engine, vs the "bathtub" shape it has listed for the 1500 and 1600 engines. My head clearly has...
  12. S

My wear bars look to be .035", maybe a bit more (with the slope and rough casting it is hard to be exact) which should mean no more than .030" has been shaved from this head since new. From your figure of 1cc per .0114", I come up with 2.63 CC lost from shaving using the wear bar method...
  13. S

Just measured my combustion chamber and I seem to be coming in at 36cc pretty consistently. From what I've read, 39.2cc is normal? Is it possible I'm that far off (it seems like a significant difference!) just from shaving the head? Tested with brand new NGK BP6ES plugs installed in the head...
  14. S

I understand it may not be strictly necessary, I've replaced a head on my motorcycle without it and been fine too. But, both the machine shop and a few people on here said to use it, and I figure it can't hurt? Besides, the can is $10, if it helps even a little, it's worth it.
  15. S

Tom - I had the same thoughts on #2. Piston is covered heavily in carbon, but no signs of impact such as is in the head. Will try to clean it up a bit for a better look. No derbies visible on or around the piston, nor scoring in the cylinders, although I will turn the engine by hand to get a...
  16. S

Got the head back from the machine shop today: Sure looks a lot different than when it went in: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-PA2AdV7YlxI/UdqmYmGJixI/AAAAAAAATug/FHViT7VO4xo/s800/IMG_3643.JPG Welded, decked, thimble/diverter installed, new valve seats, and...
  17. S

For the shop to do it, it would be at their hourly rate. By the time I dropped in near closing on Friday, the guy who would be doing it was already gone so it will be Monday before they can get back to me with an estimate for the work. As for the bottom end, I must confess I have not had any...
  18. S

The engine "ran ok" but I've always though it was a bit of a dog. No where near as fast as a 2300lbs 100hp car should have been. I have both a 1500lb bugeye with a stock 1275 making ~65hp, and a 2500lb 106hp civic as reference points. Both of those cars feel significantly faster than the...
  19. S

A quick update and a couple more questions. The machine shop got a chance to look at the head today. The head is warped, twisted, but not too bad. They will have to remove no more than 6 thou, but probably only 5 and possibly even get by with just 4. Just an estimate at this point based on...
  20. S

Nickodell - Not sure what you mean by "disconnect the HT leads", but we disconnected the leads to the coil, pulled the plugs, and did it at WOT. I'll dump some oil in the cylinders when I get home, but they actually look pretty good. RootesRooter - Ran down and talked to the guy over lunch...