• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. Mark B

Overdrive Issues - Engagement

Hello all- over the past few years, my overdrive became finicky, and would usually only start to work after everything warmed up, maybe 10 to 15 mins of driving. Before it warmed, hitting the OD stalk produced a dim light on the OD versus a bright light, and a decent draw on the Amp meter...
  2. Mark B

Gaskets-Tappet,Dizzy and Oil Block

Hello all- I attempted to staunch the flow of oil coming out of my leaky tappet cover, and in doing so, I had to remove the distributor and the oil block (Series V). The question is do I use some gasket glue, (Permatex or similar) when replacing them, or just the gaskets themselves. The tappet...
  3. Mark B

What are these? Tappet cover bolts.

Hello all- In light of being on lockdown, I have found the time to dig out an old engine to re-furbish/re-build, which has been somewhere low on the to-do list for a long time. In taking in apart, the tappet cover had these style of screws/fasteners which I was not familiar with. Just 2 of them...
  4. Mark B

Timing Issue

Hello All- I have a fun one that challenged me all summer. I was having trouble starting the car, and after the usual list of fuel, spark, etc.. I decided to really look at the timing, as it seemed off. I pulled the valve cover, pulled plug one, and confirmed TDC and the set the distributor...
  5. Mark B

Head gasket

Hello all- I started the Alpine this morning and it sounded like it was missing on a cylinder so I popped the hood to see if a lead was shorting or off. After pulling a few to determine which was not firing, I realized old number four was firing, just not with the same gusto as the others. I...
  6. Mark B

Need a decent Choke Cable from SV

Hey all- I am looking for a decent choke cable from a Series V to replace my broken one. Thanks, Mark B mburkley@ipeoplesolutions.com
  7. Mark B

Puddle of gas

All- My Alpine has been sitting in a garage since early December and a brief unseasonal warm day allowed me to fire it up on Saturday. We had previously had some lows in the negative digits and I wanted to just run it up to temp and air it out. It took a few extended cranking and waiting...
  8. Mark B

Sports Car Forum

Steve- Excellent article in Sports & Exotics. Well done! I learned a lot about the #74 cars and the pictures are very cool. Mark B
  9. Mark B

Lucky break

I had an interesting turn of events while driving yesterday. The drivers side lower ball joint failed from lack of lubrication over time, and fortunately I managed to stop the car with a fair amount of control and did an unbeliveable zero damage to the car. The tire sort of flopped over and the...
  10. Mark B

A Le Mans nearly ready to go

I had the chance with the weather getting nice to go to a local Brit repair shop and saw tucked in the corner a Harrington Le Mans body and associated parts. This car was dismantled and repainted about 12 years ago and the last time I saw it in this shop it had just returned from the painters...
  11. Mark B

Light in the Trunk

Hello all- I was looking through some photos of various SIVs on this site and some others, and have found a couple of pictures with what appears to be a courtesy light in the trunk on the drivers side up in the corner. Its mounted on the panel that covers the gas tank and looks very similar...
  12. Mark B

Late Style Overdrive Relay 6ra 33199

I know these are few and far between, but I thought I would ask if anyone has one of the Lucas relays for the later overdrive, in any condition, available. Many thanks, Mark B
  13. Mark B

Overdrive Relay

Hello all, I have begun to experience a situation where my overdrive will only remain on if I hold the self cancelling stalk in the on position. Its an SV, ans so I suspect the relay. Are these relays available anymore? Any advice from those who have experienced this before. Is more than...
  14. Mark B

Front Disc Brake Pads

Hello All- Great day and decided to go for a spin. I heard and felt a bit of grind in the front left brakes and decided to peek and see if it was just from overwintering or another issue. Turns out the inboard pad is shot. Being impatient, I called a few of the local parts stores and went...
  15. Mark B

Exhaust Stud Nuts

I thought I remembered a recent thread regarding the exhaust nuts that are on the studs from the exaust manifold to the double downtubes being brass. Is this correct? If so, is there a source for them? Also, is there a gasket in between the manifold and the downtubes? Thanks. Mark B