• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. Andrew

Rear Frame Rails

Hi Guys, It has been way too long and I hope everyone is well. I am finally using my SolidWorks 3D software to help me with my S3. I am almost finished designing up the model of the Rear Frame Rails so that they can cut them with the CNC. I hope to make this as easy as possible to fabricate...
  2. Andrew

Reverse light

i just found these in storage, are these correct for the Alpine? What would the correct location be to install the if they belong on an Alpine! Thanks Andrew
  3. Andrew

Overdrive Gear Box

I would like to ask the opinion of the group about the Overdrive Gear Box Option. If one had access to an overdrive, is it worth the trouble doing the conversion. I have access to one but I am not sure if it will work in the S3. I would need to shorten my drive shaft but I believe I have all...
  4. Andrew

Rotisserie Design Using SolidWorks

Hi Guys, I thought it would be fun to put SolidWorks to the task of making a full 3D model of the Sunbeam Rotisserie as posted on TEAE web site. I should be able to show a little more detail and a full set of drawing of each part (to include parts to be bent or cut). If anyone is interested...
  5. Andrew

Rear Spring Frame / Mounts

Well not sure if this is a problem area or not. The passenger side of my car look pretty good, a few bad spots but nothing that I am really worried about. The uni-body of my car is great from the front and straight back to the front leaf spring mounts. Yes, the front two spring mounting areas...
  6. Andrew

Rebuilding S3 Leaf Springs Today

Receive all of my parts way up here in the North. Quick question, should the thrust buttons push and stay in place? They fit into the relief of.the spring but they do not snap in and stay. Should a glue be used and what kind? Any insight would be great.
  7. Andrew

Why a spacer or ferrule?

This may be a silly question but why is there a spacer or ferrule used at the top of the centre bolt holding the leaf springs together. Is this really needed? When rebuilding can one just use a grade 5 standard hex head centre bolt and nylock to hold things together at the top of the assembly...
  8. Andrew

The oil is going out the back? Maybe!

Under high rev at high speed I have the idea that my engine is blowing oil out the rear of the engine. Is this possible? Could it be from high crank case pressure, is there a seal behind the flywheel for the rear of the crank shaft that may be my problem? I am unable to find such a seal at SS...
  9. Andrew

1/2" or 5/8" BPT Oil Cooler Lines

Can anyone tell me the BPT size of our fittings for the oil / filter coolers base adapters are? I would imaging they are 1/2 or 5/8 BPT.
  10. Andrew

Work on rear suspension / frame support

Hi Guys, I am rebuilding my Leaf Springs and see a bit of a problem with the rear mounts. I will need to do a little cleaning and possibly some welding/support work. Is this a typical problem with our Alpines? I remember seeing an article about the Tiger Guys fixing the mounting points for...
  11. Andrew

NOS Head Lamp Trim - not sure what car they are for

Hi Guys, Just found a few NOS Chrome Trim/Head Lamp Rings. I am not sure what they are all off of but there are 4 different rings. I will have to look at the number stamps and see if I can track down what car they would have been used on. One is the same as used on my S3 but not sure about...
  12. Andrew

Switch to wire wheels

Hi Guys, I have never had wire wheels on my S3 but I think they would be nice to have. Is it a big deal to switch over the hubs and use the wires? What would be a reasonable price for a good used set of Sunbeam Wires, Hubs and Knock Offs. Any pit falls or is it best to just stay with the...
  13. Andrew

Is eBay getting stupid?

Wow, either I am getting old thinking about prices back in 2004 and that there has been a rapid increase in Sunbeam Alpine car parts or parts and things posted on eBay are getting stupid. At this rate, my S3 Should be worth around $19,000 before I put her to paint. Maybe is it is one eBay...
  14. Andrew

I am sure many have watched this!

I am sure that most of us have watched this but I just had to look it up again today. Love, Love to do this some day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP-VqF9kaNA All the best, Andrew
  15. Andrew

Diagnosing the play acceleration drive line at low speed

I am looking to drop the rear axle in the S3 to redo the leaf springs that are tired but I have another possible problem that should be addressed. I noticed when I was driving the car at low speed there seemed to be a lag in the drive train under load. Driving slow was irritating as to keep a...
  16. Andrew

Tiger Grill

Hi Guys, I am working on some mechanical drawings to make a Tiger Grill. Can anyone tell me how many squares there are in the grill and the height and width of each square. Some photos would be great but may be too much to ask for. I will cut the parts using polished stainless. I hope...
  17. Andrew

SI-SII-S3 Bumpers Needed

Looking for a Set of early bumpers for my S3. The past owner cut holes for lights and I really would like a set without holes. Now, the big problem is that I am up in Ontario, Canada (too long a distance to ship so I would have to do some traveling). It there is someone in Ontario with a...
  18. Andrew

Engine / Pumpkin-Diff / Rear Springs / Paint

I have finally had enough. I was looking at the Alpine this morning and it is time to pull the engine, drop the rear, replace or rebuild the rear springs(add a leaf?) and check the diff as I have some slack in the drive line that almost drives me nuts when running slow. I will be sure to check...
  19. Andrew

Ringing (bits) in my head

Its is a sad way to learn but I will share in my failure. Here are some photos, tell me what you see. Can you tell me what I did wrong? Ring gap?
  20. Andrew

Rebuild S3 Engine........Again!

Hi Guys, Yes, its me again and after a long time away I am back and ready to rebuild my S3 engine. Yes, again. I will share some pictures with you showing what happened and what I am left with after my first rebuild. I hope to post some photos tonight showing cylinder #1, you are free to...