• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. Jay Laifman

Brake Master Cylinder Return Spring

I had an odd thing going on with my brakes. At unpredictable times, after the car sat for a day or so, when I first got into the car, the pedal would depress a little further than other times. The very next time I'd press the brakes, they'd be fine. And the master was not showing any lost...
  2. Jay Laifman

Brakes long pedal

I'm a little at a loss here and wondering if anyone has a suggestion. I put on Dan's fantastic rear disc brakes. I absolutely love them. They work great. Every once in a while, in the morning, my pedal is longer that it should be. My feeling is that one of the brake pucks is getting stuck...
  3. Jay Laifman

Harrington Steering Wheel?

We got this steering wheel with a bunch of other parts. We are not sure what it is for. I just noticed it looks very similar to a Harrington Le Mans wheel - with the extra openings for the thumbs. This wheel is a "Spyder" wheel. Spyder also made wheels for Elvas.
  4. Jay Laifman

SV Clutch Cover - New, rebuilt or rebuildable

I'm looking for a SV clutch cover. As indicated, new, rebuilt or rebuildable. Thanks, Jay
  5. Jay Laifman

Le Mans Alpine

This did not sell at 115,000 pounds bid. Now at buy it now for 165,000 pounds. https://www.iconicauctioneers.com/1962-sunbeam-alpine-rec12968-1-nec-1123
  6. Jay Laifman

DCOE Weber Chokes

I am particularly looking for DCOE chokes (for 40 DCOE, sized 32 mm). I want only the factory originals. I need only two. I realize that I'll only find them if I can find some guy who's hoarded them all these years and willing to sell. Any suggestions? Thanks.
  7. Jay Laifman

Alfa engine transplant?

As most probably know, Rootes was exploring putting in an Alfa engine - before they went the Tiger route. I think the Alfa engine is probably too high to fit without a hood modification. Has anyone actually ever done it?
  8. Jay Laifman

Tony Walsh's Race Car in the UK?

Anyone know anything about a S2 race car that belonged to Tony Walsh in the UK? Possibly raced in the 60s, definitely raced in the 70s. In the late 90s or so, may have been prepped to do the Le Mans Classic.
  9. Jay Laifman

Zenith 42 WIA carbs

These are not for the Alpine originally. But if anyone happens to have a pair to sell, let me know. They tended to be on 6 cylinders, Humbers,
  10. Jay Laifman

BAT Alpine - V6 in need

Listen to the videos (including the 2023 one that the link seems to only work in the seller's post). There is a light clacking on acceleration. I agree with the seller that the top is rattling. But the sound that is heard only on acceleration I think is either pinging from being too advanced...
  11. Jay Laifman

Most Beautiful Alpine Model

I've always loved this ad. About 15 years ago, I tried to use the internet to find out who the model is. I did not succeed. Can anyone do better now? I even found people from Peck and Peck. But I could not reach them. I note she is also in the picture of the car at the bottom. Does she...
  12. Jay Laifman

James Bond Alpine Article

Here is an article about the James Bond Alpine that I've never seen before. Interestingly, it notes that there were two of them - one in Jamaica (on the road scenes) and one in England (at the studio lot with the fake driving shot close ups)...
  13. Jay Laifman

Parts ID

Anyone recognize any of these? The black one looks so familiar. Like a heater valve mount. But I don't see it on pictures I've looked at.
  14. Jay Laifman

Pointy fin not peaked fin

Which do you prefer? Ha. The silver one is here: https://www.motortrend.com/features/1964-sunbeam-alpine-ls3-engine-mecum-auctions It does not appear to be a 1964 or a S3. It has a S1/2 windshield and presumably doors. So in addition to the engine and frame (etc.) being swapped, either the...
  15. Jay Laifman

New Bumpers

I just came across this. https://groupharrington.com/brand/sunbeam/
  16. Jay Laifman

Electric Sunbeam

Anyone doing it yet? Here is a great video of James May talking about a very fancy MGB that is electric. He makes some great great points. The part I think I like the best is when he said the MGB engine never did sound good to begin with. That's always been my thought and something I like...
  17. Jay Laifman

Cigar or Cigarette Lighter

I just notice on an XKE that it labels the lighter as "Cigar." I'm seem to recall that's what the Alpine one was called. Yet I always called them cigarette lighters growing up. Is that an England/US thing? Or were cigars considered fancier or more masculine at the time?
  18. Jay Laifman

Short Master Cylinders for Space Limits (Specifically Holbay Webers)

For those of you who have their master cylinders hitting the side of the Webers (or other engines), I just found these very short masters. https://howeracing.com/collections/howe-g3-master-cylinders
  19. Jay Laifman

14" wire wheels

Due to the troubles in finding the right tires, I'm now thinking about the 14" wire wheel option. Here are my thoughts/questions, if anyone knows: I've long understood that the 14" MGB wire wheel hub is longer than the Alpine hub. So the spinner doesn't get a lot of threads when tightened...
  20. Jay Laifman

Strombergs, Solexes, Webers and SUs

Wondering if anyone has had success mounting SUs on Alpines. Strombergs get worn out with throttle shaft leaks, and have a bad reputation. Webers are great but expensive and some say hard to dial in and overcarb’d. Is it even sacreligeous to put SUs on an Alpine? Also don’t know how...