• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. RootesRooter

Ross Hulse RIP

I heard thru the Sunbeam grapevine over the weekend that Ross Hulse AKA "Commodore Blues" passed away about a month ago. No details except that he had been in ill health for some time. I know a lot of Sunbeamers who corresponded with him since the earliest days of Sunbeam message boards or got...
  2. RootesRooter

Valve covers

I have at least a dozen extra Series IV-V valve covers, which is about a dozen more than I will ever find a good home for. Is there any scrap value?
  3. RootesRooter

Odd misfire

I took my SV w/standard Weber carb out for its first spin in several months. It ran perfectly at first. Smooth. Good power. A mile from the house, just starting to warm up, I headed down a fairly steep windy road. As I approached the bottom of the hill and let off the gas I noticed the rpms...
  4. RootesRooter

Persistent oil leak

My SV has had an oil leak as long as I can remember, dripping from the hole on the bottom of the bellhousing. I don't think its the tranny front seal, as I should have run noticeably low on oil a long time ago. I have an aluminum pan. Over the years I've replaced the gaskets around the rear pan...
  5. RootesRooter

Sunbeam parts swap near Seattle

Saturday, May 14. 10 AM. Sunbeam Parts Swap Meet - Hosted by Pacific Tiger Club. It's time to pull out those no longer needed Sunbeam, Hillman or other Rootes parts and put some cash back in your pocket, or trade for other parts that fit your restoration plans. When: 9:00 AM set-up for vendors...
  6. RootesRooter

SUNI II video wanted

At SUNI II in Wisconsin, Doane Spencer and Don Sessler were the main speakers on a race car panel. It was videotaped but I've heard it was too dark in the room. I'd still like to hear the audio again. Does a copy still exist?
  7. RootesRooter

Warehouse full of Sunbeams

Whatever became of that giant warehouse full of Tigers, Alpines, an Arrow, plus tons of parts? Did Curt and Rick team up to buy it? Moss?? (just kidding?)
  8. RootesRooter

Racing photo collection

Per a FB Vintage Racing page, a link to a nice collection of racing photos that includes about a dozen Alpines and Tigers, with many drivers identified, plus entrant lists...
  9. RootesRooter

Fuel pump threads

Anybody know what size and kind of threads are on the intake side of a stock fuel pump?
  10. RootesRooter

"Members online now"

I see there are "6 robots" online currently. Should we be worried? :confused:
  11. RootesRooter

Whatever became of....?

Roughly a year ago there was a story (in TE/AE?) about a newly discovered field full of Sunbeams: Alpines, Tigers, fastback Alpines in various stages of decay. About 20 total. The exact location was undisclosed but I thought I heard later it was near D.C. What became of that?
  12. RootesRooter

Portland, OR ABFM

Advance notice for northwest Rootes enthusiasts: Paddy Hopkirk will be the featured guest at the Portland ABFM the 2nd weekend of September. Before winning the Monte Carlo Rally outright in a Mini, Hopkirk drove for the Rootes factory team for several years. Competing mostly in Rapiers, he...
  13. RootesRooter

1592 race cam?

A friend is planning to put a bigger cam in his 1592 for vintage racing. He'll probably go to Delta Cam. Besides Vizardizing the head, I don't think he'll be doing anything exotic, like Chevy rods or 12:1 compression. Any recommendations on a specific grind? Delta's KC grind was mentioned...
  14. RootesRooter

Wheel size

Has anyone mounted a set of 165-13's on 5-1/2" rims? (Stock steel rims are 4-1/2", right?) Did the tires look too narrow for the rim?
  15. RootesRooter

2019 Sunbeam Swap Meet - Lake Stevens, WA

Sunbeam Parts Swap Meet Saturday, March 23 10am - noon 6710 151st Ave. NE, Lake Stevens, WA Sponsored by Pacific Tiger Club Bring your Rootes parts, manuals & memorabilia to buy, sell and trade. Alpine owners Bill & Glenda Clemans will be the hosts for our fifth annual swap meet. Tables...
  16. RootesRooter

Diff Ring Gear Bolts

Does anyone know of a source for replacement ring gear bolts with the proper shoulder length? I bought a set from an SOACA member who advertised here several years ago but can't remember the name.
  17. RootesRooter

Sunbeam Rapier Ser 1 for sale

Rare Series 1 Rapier for sale near Seattle. The owner is a friend - and long-time Tiger owner as well. This is an excellent, original restoration candidate. Rust bubbles (no rot-thru) confined to a few square inches in the usual spots: just behind the front wheelwells and just in front of the...
  18. RootesRooter

Rare Sunbeam S cover

You don't see too many of the S covers come up for sale with the oil filler at the front. They do fit under an Alpine bonnet. No connection to seller. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunbeam-Alpine-II-Valve-Cover-Sunbeam-Script-Aluminum-Early-Alpine-Used-Orig-/391621949914?hash=item5b2e7cb9da
  19. RootesRooter

Hitachi alternator mounting

Decided to switch to the Hitachi unit to resolve a charging problem. I'd already done this to my other SV. On that one, a friend with a welder filled the existing holes on the stock mounting bracket and redrilled them right next to the old holes (think of a figure-8). That aligned the new...
  20. RootesRooter

Alternator exciter wire

I have a SV with a stock alternator that isn't charging the battery. Per the tests in the factory manual, the alternator is working (the headlights brighten with revs when certain wires are rearranged), ditto the regulator and relay, but still no charge getting to the battery. I've read of...