• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. JonPiz

Whining noise

I get a whining noise when driving but when you come off the gas it goes. Is this the rear end or the gearbox. Its a series 2 with non-overdrive gearbox (no syncro on 1st)
  2. JonPiz

Clutch keeps going soft

The clutch hydraulics are all new but something is at fault. The clutch is bled correctly and the slave is fitted with the bleed screw at the top however, the pedal needs pumping a few times to get pressure to open the clutch. Is it the master or the slave that's faulty?
  3. JonPiz

jet help

Just finished the and have a 32/36 DGV. The car ticks over just fine but the engine stalls when accelerating unless the choke is out. Which jets do I need to change?
  4. JonPiz

Trunk spare wheel strap fitting wanted

Im after a small bracket part 258 in the attached diagram. The strap that holds the spare wheel in place in the series 1&2 goes through this bracket to hold he wheel tightly in place. It attaches to the trunk floor by two small bolts.
  5. JonPiz

Trunk pictures

Does anyone have some pictures that show how the jack and wheel brace fit in the trunk of a series 2 please.
  6. JonPiz

Hood stay

The very last bit of my 13 year series 2 rebuild is to fit the hood stay. Where does the top of the stay locate when the hood is up? Does any one have some photos please?
  7. JonPiz

Series 2 hardtop bolt

I need the bolt that attaches the hardtop to the b pillar. Mine was just rechromed but they managed to strip some of the thread in the process.
  8. JonPiz

Front suspension height difference

I cannot work out why my series two front suspension is about 1/2-1" difference in height from one side to the other. I fitted brand new springs which were identical. The rear height is the same both sides.
  9. JonPiz

order waiting 3 months so far

Has anyone had problems with Sunbeam Specialities lately. I ordered a soft top seal for my series 2 in March and unless I chase up there is no communication from Rick. Im tempted to cancel the order but I always hear good things about this supplier
  10. JonPiz

Gas returns to tank affecting starting

If I leave my S2 a few days it takes about 10 seconds of cranking to get the car started. Its a mechanical fuel pump thats new. I wondered if there should be a breather on the fuel tank as could there be a vacuum created in the tank that is pulling the fuel back. There are no leaks anywhere.
  11. JonPiz

Series 2 soft top

Does anyone have some detail photos of their soft top in the upright position. Im interested in how it attaches to the body by the B post and also some inside pictures of the cross bars. Ive just got a new top but the car was without the original.
  12. JonPiz

Weber 32/36 stalling

I have an issue on my 1600 which dies on acceleration. If I apply the gas slowly it picks up. I have run through all the suggestions but need some advice now. No vacuum leak Coil tested and fine New dizzy cap and leads new points timing 11 deg BTDC idle screw set at 1.5 turns weber 32/36...
  13. JonPiz

soft top

Im now at the point on the rebuild where I need to get a soft top (rag top). Im fitting it myself seeing as I did everything else and relish the challenge. I just wanted to know if mohair is worth the money and has anyone fitted this material before. I understand its a bit more flexible to fit...
  14. JonPiz

Sunbeam letters

I need to get the spacing correct for the letters in front of the bonnet. Its had a replacement panel without the holes. What is the overall width of the word measuring from the outside of the letters?
  15. JonPiz

Brake caliper question

Im rebuilding my calipers on my series 2. There is a bolt missing that holds the two halves together. Its the one with the slightly larger head. Anyone know what size this is so I can order one?
  16. JonPiz

Tachometer

Im having an issue getting my tachometer to work. I have run a live from position 2 on the ignition swith to give a live feed to the gauge. I have also run a wire from position 2 that loops through the signal block on the back of the tacho and connects to the positive side of the coil. Still...
  17. JonPiz

carb issue

I know this has been covered a million times as I spent this afternoon looking at all the past posts. Im still trying to get me 32/36 DGAV running correctly. The car starts well but seems to run rich all the time and blackens the plugs in no time at all. Can anyone tell me a good jet set up that...
  18. JonPiz

location of radio antenna

Ive searched everywhere as I remember seeing somewhere the measurements for locating the hole in the fender in front of the screen. Anyone got any clues?
  19. JonPiz

door lock bit

I need the link between the door handle and the locking mechanism so the door locks when you turn the key in the handle. Its for the drivers side (USA). Im in the UK so are happy to pay for this bit/postage
  20. JonPiz

ride height

Just changed the front springs from the original series 2 which were shot to a later set which were too high and finally to a set of MG Midget 1500 springs. The look is excellent with the front height 24.25" to the underside of the arch. What is the preferred height from people?