• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. Wombat

Filtered Tappet Cover?

Rootesracer, Sounds plausible. I have rechecked the parts book and it is inconclusive about what air filters and crankcase ventilation happenned when. I didn't see any other changes that happenned at the same body numbers. I guess it was different markets with different regulations at...
  2. Wombat

Filtered Tappet Cover?

Jim I have checked my parts book. It shows that filter on the tappet cover for some series 3. Applicable for Series 3 GT from B9203887 and Series 3 soft top from B9204718 to Series IV. I do not know if there is any advantage over the other systems. I suspect it was a change that was made to...
  3. Wombat

Head Question

No, the series V head is different. It has bigger valves, and the combustion chamber is a little bigger. They will probably interchange. The other difference that you should check for is the water fitting at the rear of the head. Series II had a water heated inlet manifold and this was connected...
  4. Wombat

loctite and/or anti-seize

I might be a bit contrary here. I acknowledge the experience of the other posters (far greater than mine), however on my Alpine's last journey under its own power, there were strange rattling noises from the gearbox/clutch area. Later on the same trip the engine failed. When I pulled the engine...
  5. Wombat

Sugestion for a concours forum catagory

Some random thoughts about concourse/originality. We are dealing with cars that are 40 to 50 years old. Most of them have been through multiple owners, with repairs and "restorations" being carried out before we acquired the cars (there will be exceptions - there are some here that have owned...
  6. Wombat

Gearbox OD number...

Did60, Two Ways to pick the all synchro gearbox: There is a bulge in the casing for the reverse idler gear; The all synchro box has this on the left and towards the front; The non synchro box has this to the right and rear, The other clue is the location of the bias spring (this is the spring...
  7. Wombat

Oil leaks, go figure

The Dipstick goes straight into the hole - there are no seals. If you are getting oil coming out of the dipstick hole, you may have too much blow by. Also make sure your oil level is not too high. Other oil leaks that happen with these engines occur around the side plate gasket, and the air...
  8. Wombat

Removed from a 1725cc Engine...

Definitely Iron head Rootes engine, and a relatively early one. The later engines has the screw down oil filler cap and a vent pipe at the end opposite the oil filler. Cheers Robert
  9. Wombat

Exhaust mounting questions

There are three places the exhaust mounts to the body. There is the one above the back axle you mention, there is one on the rear of the X frame under the car. My SIV has a bracket welded there. There is also one at the rear ot the tailpipe. On the SIV (and probably S3 and SV), there are two...
  10. Wombat

A post

Maybe item WS53 from Sunbeam Specialties? http://www.rootes.com/catalogindex.html See under "Windshields and Seals". These fasten with the same screws that hold the side trim on the windshield frame.
  11. Wombat

Front Brake Rotors

Disc Brakes Australia (www.dba.com.au) list replacement discs for the Humber Super Snipe. These are available slotted or cross-drilled, but they are still solid discs. The only other Rootes listing they have is for the Hillman Hunter. There is also a company called Rotors and Drums Australia...
  12. Wombat

Questions about adding overdrive

Sam As others have said, the important part is the overdrive mainshaft. This is the big difference between the overdrive and non-overdrive transmissions. The other thing to be carefull of is that if the overdrive came out of anything other than a Rootes vehicle, it will be a whole lot more...
  13. Wombat

Engine ID

John Here is a link to a listing of Rootes engine numbers. On a quick look through, I couldn't see the number you have, but it may be there. http://www.team.net/www/rootes/chassis.html The letter group "LSX" means Left Hand Drive, Saloon (or Sedan) and Non Standard. I think your guess...
  14. Wombat

First start problems

Can't be exactly sure about the Alpine, but the Borg Warner 35 behind the 1725 in a Hillman Hunter has two tangs or "fingers" (for want of the correct technical term) on the back of the torque convertor that engage in two slots in the front pump of the transmission. The manual says to turn the...
  15. Wombat

69 alpine gas tank

Chuck My Arrow range manual says 15 Gallons (Imp) or 18.3 Gallons (US).
  16. Wombat

Crank rebuild specs

Robert If you haven't already found it, here is what the online 1725 manual says about crankshafts: http://www.rootes1725cc.info/wsm145/wsm_ii/page17.htm I have checked all the documentation I have (including the Chrysler OZ factory manual for the 1725 Hillman Hunter) and cannot find...
  17. Wombat

eBay and PayPal

This may not have made the news outside of Australia. eBay in Australia is changing its payment policy. The only forms of payment that will be possible are PayPal and cash on collection. It seems that Australia is being used as guinea pigs to test the change prior to a wider roll out. Don't know...
  18. Wombat

First start problems

Von Starter motors go the same way regardless of positive or negative earth. This is because they use a wound field that reverses in polarity along with the armature if the current goes the other way through them. When you get the starter out, make sure it turns freely and that the brushes...
  19. Wombat

Please Clear this Up for us.....

Should definitely be moving air from the outside through the radiator. There was some debate about the best location for the electric fan (in front of or behind the radiator). As I recall the consensus was that they are best installed behind.
  20. Wombat

Driving & Rally lights

There is a set of originals on ebay UK now. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=260239844964&Category=36090&_trksid=p3907.m29 Difficult to say how big they are, but you can get an idea of what they look like.