• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. O

gear lever - nylon ball/bush

The nylon ball/bush at the base of my gear lever is worn. In addition, the pin is not a tight fit in the lever/ball and tends to vibrate its way out, disrupting gear changes... (I've rigged up a small plate to stop it from completely falling out...) Are replacement balls available? I can't...
  2. O

No oil pressure after oil change...

Hi everyone, (edit - see below, now "fixed") I'm trying to troubleshoot a zero oil pressure issue, apparently occurring after a simple oil change... Engine was running well, took it for a quick spin, good oil pressure, while warm I decided to drop the oil and refill with new (20/50 as usual)...
  3. O

distributor pedestal o-ring/gasket?

Between the block and the distributor pedestal, is there supposed to be a rubber seal/o-ring as well as a gasket? There is bevel on my block (1725, not original) which would seem to be for an o-ring, and there is an old squashed deformed rubber thing on my (SII original) pedestal that doesn't...
  4. O

overdrive oil leak, what's this bolt/plug?

Great, thanks everyone
  5. O

overdrive oil leak, what's this bolt/plug?

I have a slow but persistent oil leak from the rear of my overdrive. It appears to be coming from this bolt/plug, next to the speedo drive but I'm not sure what it is and what will happen if I undo it... Does it locate/fix the speedo drive bearing or something? It has a copper washer. It looks...
  6. O

Vey clean little Imp, for sale in SoCal...

Wills rings aren't fitted to a "standard" Imp engine as the rings will dig in to the aluminium casting around the liners (liners are cast into the block), but it is common practice for engines where the liners have been completed removed and replaced with fully steel "wet" liners (ie to get...
  7. O

clutch fork and bearing ID

Quick update/closure. All is now well, following replacement of almost everything! I can confirm that reverting back to "stock" SII has resulted in a much better clutch operation than I have ever had. Turns out that my fork/pedestal were stock SII, but the pedestal was critically worn. Fork was...
  8. O

Spigot bush is a bit worn but not too bad, I don't think it was the issue, will replace anyway. I have managed to source a good used fork and pedestal, on its way from a very helpful chap in Queensland (thanks Bruce). Will report back once its installed.
  9. O

Thanks Bernd, thats exactly what I wanted (needed...) to hear. I'll start searching for a fork/pedestal. You read my mind re. the spigot bearing, I was thinking the same, i'll check tomorrow to see if its worn, but I'll put a new one in anyway. Flywheel should be good, I had it very lightly...
  10. O

Thanks guys for your input, much appreciated. I am still a little confused over early vs late bit, there seems to be conflicting info on small vs tall etc... but we are making progress. Photo of my 2 clutch covers attached for interest, both have metal centre thrust rings. You can see that the...
  11. O

G'day, I'm having clutch problems, still, mostly due to having mismatched components it seems. Car is an early SII but has been fiddled with, so I am not certain which bits are original. I need some help ID'ing the parts that I have/need please. Bottom line is that I may have to replace the...
  12. O

clutch master options - RHD

I'm looking for a replacement clutch master cylinder for my SII. 5/8". Its a RHD model, so the clutch master sits underneath the scuttle brace. The current cylinder has been on there for years, isn't original, needs rebuilding and is a right pain as its taller than original and the cap can't be...
  13. O

Oily exhaust ports

Thanks guys, I pulled the head today to investigate. Mostly good news, I found that the seals on the 3 oily ports were all "faulty", whereas the others are all OK. 2 of the seals were distorted and out of place (as if they are oversized but they could have just ben installed badly), and the...
  14. O

Oily exhaust ports

G'day folks, Its been a while, I still have the Alpine and its been running great for a couple of years, although it hasn't seen too many miles I admit. Pulled the engine/trans today to replace the clutch and give the engine a little bit of love. Engine has been running fine, and has good...
  15. O

Clutch choices SII

Thanks Steve (and George too) Yes the easiest option is probably a direct replacement of the same type, I'll talk to the local suppliers here. I am interested in the MGB version though. What's the benefit, is it simply cost/availability or does the diaphragm type lead to a lighter clutch action...
  16. O

Clutch choices SII

Hi everyone, its been a while, but I'm still Sunbeaming around northern Australia. I'm planning activities for our upcoming tropical Wet Season (the traditional time for vehicle layup and major works) and this year's project is to improve the clutch. I want to work out how best to configure a...
  17. O

Weber downdraft kit now available

I've recently fitted one of the Webcon manifolds, so I thought I'd share my experience. I travelled to the UK in September (and had business class luggage allowance for my return ;) so I decided to take the opportunity to bring back a few bits and pieces for my cars. I contacted Jerome ahead...
  18. O

Ozzie Humbers

Hi Michael, You've mentioned the Tigers before, but I haven't managed to track down any other Sunbeams in the NT, apart from a lovely early "Mark" Alpine. Someone beat me to the rego plate "Sunbeam" though... I once heard a rumour of another Alpine in Darwin, but the trail dried up. Perhaps...
  19. O

Ozzie Humbers

Took my old Super Snipe for a drive over the weekend to meet up with a friends "matching" Hawk for a sunset picnic on the (currently dry) floodplains up here in Darwin. We figured that such a meeting deserved decent champagne and suitable attire ;)
  20. O

50 years of the Imp

Spot on Michael! Here's a couple of photos of my Stiletto from the late 80's that I found just the other day. Not quite as shiny as the ones in your photos but it went like a rocket once I fitted a 998cc with big valves and a cam. Had a lot of fun in that car! It had a set of nice white...