• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. snamelc

Timing chain tensioner

I'm putting an aluminum billet timing chain cover with seal on my Series II. My mechanic is replacing the chain tensioner and he says the one Rick sent is all rubber with the steel leaf spring in the center such that the chain runs against the rubber. It's been so long since I've had a timing...
  2. snamelc

Timing Chain Cover

I'm getting ready to pull the engine and transmission from my Series II and would like to take this opportunity to install the new aluminum timing chain cover with the oil seal. Before I do this, I'd like to hear from others about the acceptance of this conversion. Also, I can't tell from the...
  3. snamelc

Gas gage sending unit

The gas gage in my '62 Series II Alpine jumps all over the place and is not reliable. Apparently the sending unit circuit relies on the pivot shaft that the float is hooked to for ground. I have no idea what (if any) method the designers used to ensure that this makes a good ground but right...
  4. snamelc

Windscreen Wiper System

Probably the majority of us do not venture out in the rain in our little British cars. But when we get caught in it, we want our wipers to work. The wipers on my Series II have been intermittent for the past couple of years. The last time I got caught in the rain was the last straw! I was...
  5. snamelc

Anti rattle springs

My 1961 Series II had springs that went under the pins that held the front brake pads to keep them from rattling. It worked very well. Now my 1962 Series II brake pads rattle incessantly... no springs. I haven't been able to find a source for these, and apparently Rootes used different...
  6. snamelc

Torque Head

I'm getting ready to put my head back on. The WSM gives the bolt tightening sequence but doesn't go into the method. I plan to use anti-sieze compound on the threads and go around several times, sneaking up on the (new) 45 ft-lb spec in 10 ft-lb increments. I'm sure you all have your own...
  7. snamelc

Coolant reservoir repair

The cast aluminum coolant reservoir on my Series II has boogered threads where the screws hold the pressure relief valve in place. A PO used sheet metal screws as his solution to the problem. I plan to use heli-coils for SST 10-24 socket head cap screws to set it straight. Before I possibly...
  8. snamelc

Head Gasket

I'm replacing a blown head gasket in my Series II engine. The new gasket isn't labeled "this side up" nor is it symetrical. There is a water circulation hole on one end that isn't on the other. If the gasket is placed one way, water can get through the gasket to the manifold heater. Placed...
  9. snamelc

Radiator drain

The radiator drain on my Series II won't open. The bar that is supposed to open it just spins and does nothing. There's a hex "nut" up against the radiator shell but I don't want to damage my radiator by twisting on that if it is welded or soldered into the shell. If it's not, then there has...
  10. snamelc

Head bolts

What's the conventional wisdom on replacing head bolts when replacing a head gasket? This is on a 1592 engine bored 0.060 over. The gasket blew between 3 & 4 about 5 years after re-build.
  11. snamelc

Shifting into overdrive

I know there was a thread a few weeks ago concerning how to shift into overdrive but I haven't been able to find it. There were many opinions on it but I don't remember this one: Shift into OD as if you were simply shifting from 3rd to 4th... push in the clutch, let up on the gas, flick the OD...
  12. snamelc

Over-heating

All you guys and gals who contributed to the over-heating thread, thanks. I do believe I've solved the problem in my Series II. A couple of months ago, it quit running right... no power when I hit the gas. I limped home and let it sit until now. I discovered that the drain tube in the intake...
  13. snamelc

Cloth Top Series II, Tan

I have a tan cloth top for a Series II that has never been installed. Idiot PO had not stored it properly so it needs a good cleaning but otherwise OK. $50 plus shipping will take it off my hands. I'm located in Kennewick, WA.
  14. snamelc

Radiators and over-heating

I haven't seen this subject addressed in the forum so here goes. My Series II has always had an over-heating problem. It's been bored out 0.060 over so I've assumed that was the cause, but upon further investigation, I'm not so sure. I pulled the radiator out and inspected it and it seemed...
  15. snamelc

Thermostats

Has anyone successfully used one of those Stewart/Robert Shaw high performance thermostats? My stock thermostat is due to be replaced and I'd like to reduce the flow restriction from that of the stock unit. Wide open actually presents very little in the way of an opening. Bill
  16. snamelc

Anti-rattle springs

I bought a Series II off the show room floor in 1961 and it had anti-rattle springs that pushed against the brake pads to prevent them from rattling in the calipers. They were "H" shaped and slid in under the top and bottom retainer pins. My current Series II doesn't have them, nor does my...
  17. snamelc

Front brake pad springs

My first Series II, purchased new in 1961, had springs that went in behind the pins that hold the front brake pads in place and kept the pads held snugly against the calipers so they wouldn't rattle. My current Series II doesn't have these and none of the manuals that I have makes any reference...
  18. snamelc

Window Regulator

For some reason, my window regulators on my Series II had no stops and the window could be cranked beyond the fully up position. It hasn't been a problem for a number of years... I just paid attention to position and knew about where to stop. Last night we were jabbering after car club meeting...
  19. snamelc

Rear Window Chrome

Grrrrrr! Whoever put my hard top together didn't get the chrome that covers the window seal put on right. The only things holding it on are screws through the corner covers into the seal. I think it's supposed to pop over the seal. I seriously doubt that the screws were factory installed...
  20. snamelc

Rear window gasket

My Series II is in the shop being painted its original wedgewood blue. The aluminum hard top will also be blue. My paint guy says the rear window gasket needs to be replaced. I've looked in all my usual sources to no avail. How have others solved this problem? There are other gaskets such...