• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. M

Vacuum Can Adjuster

My Cardone dizzy came with an adjustable vacuum can, well, not adjustable enough. Turning an adjuster inside the can would not get me fewer than 14 degrees of advance. For my application, 8-10 degrees of advance is all that’s needed. The solution is to drill and tap a hole into the canister...
  2. M

Holley 2 Barrel

I’ts winter, in most parts of the country, and the time of year when allot of classic car owners are either busy working on or anticipating what to work on for the Spring/Summer driving season. If your plans include installing a Holley 2 Barrel on your V6 here is how my install went. First...
  3. M

Not Charging

A while back I started my car and noticed the Amp gauge pegged to +30. A voltmeter reading at the battery terminals read 17.6 volts and I could smell the battery beginning to cook off. After looking around for loose wires etc., I started it up but now there is no charging whatsoever (amp gauge...
  4. M

Duraspark II conversion Ignition Coil vs Stock

This is the ignition coil recommend by The Ranger Station in they’re Duraspark II Conversion article. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MPEIC21SB http://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/ignition-charging-computers/2-8l-duraspark-conversion/ I noticed on the front of it is written ‘Use with...
  5. M

Borescope/finding V6 TDC

I always wondered how accurate my 33 year old damper and pointer could be. To me, finding true (I like to be exacting) TDC was a PITA. The #1 cylinder plug hole angle made using a piston stop a guessing game, same with bump turning the engine using the starter till my finger blew off the plug...
  6. M

Rarity

In the years before I got my SV back on the road it wouldn't be unusual to see 2 or 3 Alpines at car shows or events. Last year I finally was able to take my own Alpine to the same shows and I would see maybe 1 or 2 other Alpines. So far this year my Alpine has been the only one at these shows...
  7. M

Amp Gauge 'Adjustable'?

Just a nitpick but with all my other gauges reading correctly the Amp gauge kinda sticks out as being off a bit. Whether the key is off or engine running and battery fully charged the Amp gauge never zeros out but instead the needle always settles in just left of the center mark. Is there a...
  8. M

Amp Gauge 'Adjustable'?

Just a nitpick but with all my other gauges reading correctly the Amp gauge kinda sticks out as being off a bit. Whether the key is off or engine running and battery fully charged the Amp gauge never zeros out but instead the needle always settles in just left of the center mark. Is there a...
  9. M

How is the Solenoid grounded?

My SV still has its original solenoid. The other day when I turned the key nothing happened (well, the electric fuel pumped ran, good battery charge and connections) so from owning previous vehicles the have had this symptom I smacked the solenoid, tried it again and it the starter kicked right...
  10. M

Front Shocks Replacement

After reserecting my SV I've begun to put some miles on it. Last week I noticed there were a few drips of what looked and felt like motor oil below the drivers side front shock but I couldn't find a leak anywhere on the engine (not even the valve covers :D). After driving to a car show yesterday...
  11. M

Accelerator Pump Lever - Which Hole?

I have a 2150A carb on my stock (no smog) 2.8. My Ranger/Bronco II manual says the Accelerator Pump Lever Location is supposed to be located on #4. I'm assuming that means the 4th hole, however there are only 3 open holes to choose from and currently it's on the 2nd hole.? Reason I'm looking...
  12. M

Switch Orientation

Are the switches on the dash all suppose to be in the down position, or up? I thought I had read something about the designer being a pilot and he wanted the dash to look like a cockpit so he oriented all the switches a certain way,?
  13. M

2.8 Timing Check

Checking out the timing on my stock 2.8 (Duraspark II/2150A carb with manual metering block).......... Distributor Vacuum Plugged - 12 DBTDC @ Idle (>800rpm) 34 DBTDC @ 3500rpm With Distributor Vacuum. - 21 DBTDC @ Idle (>800rpm) 43 DBTDC @ 3500rpm Seems to run alright, are those good numbers?
  14. M

Do-it-yourself Dual Exhaust

The purpose of this post is to show you can cheaply do your own dual exhausts using only off the shelf auto parts store components. I initially wanted a temporary exhaust system to just get my V6 Alpine on the road intending to eventually have a second exhaust pass through fabricated for a dual...
  15. M

Alternate Low Profile 2150 Carb Mount

I've had a few inquiries about my carb mount so I thought I would post some pics that I had taken when I made it. I couldn't stand the look of the stock 'Tower of Babylon' looking carb mount and I wanted a lower profile not only to use the air cleaner I liked but just for general aesthetics...
  16. M

T5: 3rd Gear

Is it just me or is 3rd gear at times difficult to find? Granted I've only put a few miles on my car since getting it on the road last month but it sure seems 3rd gear is a bit allusive. The tranny shifts and downshifts great. All gears, 1-5 and reverse work fine, no noise. Sometimes I shift...
  17. M

Cruisin' Grand - Immortalized British Car Night

Hugely popular and long standing Cruisin' Grand in Escondido, CA is having they're British Car Night featuring British, and German imports. http://cruisingrand.com/page/about http://cruisingrand.com/events/view/2016-08-12/2016-08-12-week-20-immortalized-e-grand-british-german-car-night-s-broadway
  18. M

So. Cal. Beamers - Vista Rod Run

So. Cal. Beamers, The long running 27th Annual Vista Rod Run in Vista, CA. August 7th, 2016. I was told among as many as 350 hot rods and vintage cars there are many imports there including a pretty good British contingent. I've registered my Alpine to be there. Stop by, sounds fun...
  19. M

Adjusting Self-Adjusting Brakes

My SV has Self-Adjusting brakes. Looking at the SV Manual it appears the 'initial' adjustment is done by pulling on the emergency brake lever a few times. Is that the only adjustment I need to do on the drums. Anything to adjust on the calipers? I recently rebuilt all of my brakes which...
  20. M

T5 Shifter Boot

What are you guys using for a shifter boot on your Conversion. Most of the usual auto parts stores have a couple. Did you come across one that fir well? Any pics? Thanks