• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. S

Clutch won't disengage

Believe so. I was pumping the pedal, and my mechanic was observing the lever arm movement, and felt it was adequate. Not home right now to check, but that would be one of the few things I could remedy without pulling everything!
  2. S

Clutch won't disengage

Thanks. The new carbon bearing did not seem to fit well, and also the concerns about quality in the new bearings, caused us to reuse the old one. Same clutch cover. Same slave cylinder rod, adjustable. Will update once we figure it out. DHH
  3. S

Clutch won't disengage

So at the Invasion in SC, which was great (thanks as always Eric) talked to lots of folks, and this is the plan. Pull the engine/trans/OD, first look to see if clutch disc is in correctly (one side says "flywheel this side"). Not sure if I want that to be so, since it would show we are...
  4. S

Clutch won't disengage

So I started it in gear, pedal depressed, seemed to idle fine. Letting out the clutch gently made it start forward, but it was on a lift and I did not let it move much. Tried this in both 1st and 2nd gear. If I tried to shift into another gear, got the grinding.... This is the original...
  5. S

Clutch won't disengage

Thanks for both of your suggestions. My mechanic adjusted the rod to both the minimal and the maximum length, with no success. It sat in a dry garage for perhaps 6 weeks after assembly. Don't know if he tried to release the clutch after starting it in gear, there was a car in front and it was...
  6. S

Clutch won't disengage

Thanks. Double checked with my mechanic. He stated he saw the lever move more than an inch. He could start it in gear with the clutch pushed in, but could feel a slight drag on the engine. Frustrated. And of course checking the clutch/tranny/OD is the last thing to check before driving it...
  7. S

Clutch won't disengage

Don't think so. Ordered the later 7.5" disc from SS. Interestingly, the box said 10 spline, but the disc was 25 spline. They checked their stock and the entire shipment of 10 spline discs were 25 spline. Someone at the source screwed up. They sent the correct one, and it matched up with the...
  8. S

Clutch won't disengage

Thanks for the measurements. Clutch was working fine prior to R and R for leaking seals. Replaced gaskets and seals and synchros. Reused the same pressure plate and TO bearing, new clutch disc from SS and new pilot bearing. I was the "foot" for the bleeding, but my mechanic felt the movement...
  9. S

Clutch won't disengage

New pilot bearing, reused the TO bearing as it fit better. Looked at the removed disc, and significant differences between the front/back sides. Don't think we could have put it in backwards, but dumber things have been done... Looks like we will have to pull the engine/trans, and replace the...
  10. S

Clutch won't disengage

I have a Harrington LeMans, and we pulled the engine/trans to replace oil seals/gaskets. Found out the original 8" clutch and flywheel were replaced by a 7.5" later version, 10 spline. Have multiple spares that came with the car, including two 8" clutch plates and covers. Decided to stay with...
  11. S

wire to steel wheels..

I have a simple puller for the rear wire wheel hubs I'd be glad to lend you. Worked great for me. David
  12. S

Hardtop color?

One other thought- if you have more than one Series lll-V Alpine or Tiger, a black top would work on all.
  13. S

HLM - Dashboard formica

This one is pretty close: https://panolam.com/pattern-search/caluna-cherry/
  14. S

Sunbeam Alpine & Tiger: Rebuilding and re-fitting door handles and locks.

The tricky thing is to find a lock/key system that has the same "flutes" on the key. The mid to late Alpines and all Tiger ignition and door keys use a one sided key, with a flat side with no fluting (RM, RL and ST keys). They won't fit into the cubby/trunk locks, which take an FS key, which...
  15. S

Sunbeam Alpine & Tiger: Rebuilding and re-fitting door handles and locks.

Not sure what you mean by tumblers. If you mean the tubular lock assembly, with the 5 slots with "wards" or "pins", then the two door locks are the same. A similar but different one is used for the ignition, using the same key. Different ones were used in the trunk and cubby locks. There...
  16. S

dash covering

Thanks. The original stuff was so thin, didn't know what options there were
  17. S

dash covering

Any idea what those pieces were originally covered with, and what a modern alternative would be?
  18. S

dash covering

Between the drivers edge of the dash pad and the dash is a cardboard like material, originally riveted on. It always seems to break on removal. Is there a US source for this? Also, on either side is the aluminum plate to cover the corners, covered with a very thin cloth like material. What is...
  19. S

Sunbeam Alpine parts and literature free

Dan, I was going to buy the lot, glad to get you the side pieces, but I think I'll need the lid. David
  20. S

License plate light bracket color

So natural finish, in other words silver? How to prevent rusting? Was looking into powder coating, but now not sure what color. Any other votes?