• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. G

Carb Oil Usage

Thanks for the info. I will see if it works.
  2. G

Carb Oil Usage

Guys, I am trying to figure out if I have an issue or not. It seems that after driving at highway speeds for a few hundred miles the carbs are low on oil and it starts to run rough. When I top them off it settles down again. I have put on about 1300 miles so far in the last few months and...
  3. G

Splined Hubs for wire wheels

Thanks for the info fellows. It has helped for the future. Greg D.
  4. G

Splined Hubs for wire wheels

Guys, Are the spline hubs the same size for every series or did they change at some point? Thanks, Greg D.
  5. G

Gas cap position

Jim, There is a fellow near me with a 67 SV with only 17K miles that is all original. His hinge is toward the front. Greg D.
  6. G

62 revival blog progress reports

Ray, I understand your plight. I see what Jim said and it is Greek to me. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Greg D.
  7. G

Carburetors

Rick, I do believe you are correct about either a stuck float or something holding the inlet valve open. I pulled the bowl off of another carb and see the hole in question is open all the way to the bowl so if the valve never closes fuel has to escape the path of least resistance. Thanks...
  8. G

Carburetors

Mates, Upon starting the car the rear carb began pouring out petrol. It is coming from behind the flange that the air filter bolts to. There is a hole next to the threaded hole with a plug in and that is the culprit. After popping this plug from an old carb I noticed a hole in the body...
  9. G

Bumper brackets

Thanks for all of the help guys. Bumpers are at the chrome shop now as they were just a mess when I got the car. I will put these notes in my collection of " What I have learned from others that the WSM never tells you" file. Bleeding brakes today. Took it for its first real spin in 37...
  10. G

Bumper brackets

Nice pics beam. Thanks. Now for a silly question. When it says right front is that as you look at the bumper from the front or is it from sitting in the drivers seat?
  11. G

Bumper brackets

Tom, I will give it a try and see if it changes anything. I did notice that the holes in the brackets are offset within the width of the metal. Maybe this has to do with the height against the valance. I will put it on a couple different ways and see what difference it makes and duly note the...
  12. G

Bumper brackets

Tom, The parts manual shows two different part numbers. I saw the pics on Jon's site but still can't tell. Although two things overcame me. One I was reliving a bad dream and two the relief of being almost finished with my project. Thanks for the help.
  13. G

Bumper brackets

Can anyone explain how to differentiate between the left and right front and rear bumper brackets by looking at them? Mine are old and rusty and were not on the car when I got it. I understand if they are reversed the ends of the bumper will be pointing down but I'd rather not do it twice...
  14. G

temp sending unit

Tom, I just used alligator clips and a battery and put it to a spare gauge on the bench. Then hit it with fire and nothing. Then I did the same to an old one in my pile of stuff and did the same. Gauge started increasing. This one is what i am finding out is the correct one but does not fit...
  15. G

temp sending unit

My sending unit tested bad on the SV so I ordered a new one from SS. The new one is a 5/8"-18 thread, of which I had an old one the same size in the pile of stuff I got with the car. The bad one that was in the housing is either an 11/16 or 3/4-18 size. Rick says all of the Alpine units are...
  16. G

Unknown Part

Gary, That makes sense. My steering wheel hub is cracked a good bit. Thanks for the help. Greg D.
  17. G

Unknown Part

Guys, When I got my SV it was completely apart. I am in the process of reassembling the steering column. The column was all apart also except for this ring which was hanging on the column against the dash. It does not show up in the parts manual or anywhere else I have looked and it does not...
  18. G

coil resistor

Thanks for the pic. Looks clean like that.
  19. G

coil resistor

Thanks again guys. I do have a pic that shows this green and white wire on the coil but it did not show where it went. Your pic and RootesRacers explanation is a big help. This vehicle has been one big learning experience but the people in the group have made it much easier. Greg D.
  20. G

coil resistor

Thanks Double R. Just came in from the garage where it is 900 degrees here. So what you are saying is other than the inline resistor on the hot side the wiring diagram is correct and no other wires should be present. Makes for a much cleaner look. Greg D.