• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. M

1966 Alpine Series V in North Carolina - asking $3800

Re-listing my '66/1725 red Alpine at $3800 (the '67/V6 in the pictures has been sold/shipped) I've updated the photo album with 125 pictures including underside, interior and compression. Album/description: http://bit.ly/2bQhNnr Currently registered/insured in NC. Streetable with a...
  2. M

2 Sunbeams For Sale (’66/1725, ’67/V6) $6400

Life is intervening and I’ve decided to sell my 1966/1725 and 1967/V6 Alpines and additional parts. I (strongly) prefer to sell both cars and all parts together - asking $6400 for everything. All located north of Durham, NC. Descriptions and Photos/Videos: 1966 Alpine with 1725...
  3. M

Wilwood Clutch Master Line adapter

Help me identify what I need to buy. I'm replacing the clutch master with a Wilwood (see pic). I'm not familiar with line fitting/end terms - but I need a new adapter to allow the existing clutch line (purchased from SS) attach to the new Wilwood master. In my language - I'm looking...
  4. M

Clutch Master Replacement (Non-stock)

I'm ready to replace the master cylinder on my '66 SV since my rebuild must have failed - so I'm looking for the quickest/easiest way to replace - but SS only has Tiger masters in stock (which will work with a spacer and new line + adapter) - but I'd rather get it done a little cheaper. Are...
  5. M

Clutch Issue

Something is odd with the clutch in my '66 SV (stock engine + 4 speed). The car worked fine for 1-2K miles - I let it sit for a short while (2-3 months) now the clutch only disengages when the pedal is pressed completely on the floor. When I attempt to release it (even 1/4") the gears...
  6. M

Clutch Master Retaining Ring Issue

I have one last (mechanical) task to finish before I'm planning on selling both my SV Alpines. Since it's the last task (of course) I'm having a (miserably) hard time trying to get spring from the clutch pedal push rod. Picture of the clutch rod here: https://goo.gl/photos/Bom9cYWRwnf48UvL8...
  7. M

Clutch Disengaging Problem

I drove my '66 for a 35 mile run, and then parked it for 2 weeks. Now, when I try to run it - the clutch engages almost on the floor - i.e. if I press the pedal to the floor, put it in gear, then even slightly release the pedal from the floor, the car engages and starts to move forward...
  8. M

Oil Leak question

I tightened up the oilpan bolts yesterday on my SV/1725 (amazing how those apparently work lose and can cause leaks). However, I now notice that I have a pretty good (i.e. visible drops every few minutes after driving) leak coming out of the lowest part of the bellhousing. I have changed...
  9. M

Looking for Inexpensive Steering Wheel

Not sure where to start - but I'm looking for something that looks reasonably stock looking wheel and has the hub/adapter to fit '67 SV. Willing to consider new if cheap enough. Doesn't have to be perfect otherwise. Nothing fancy - just more functional than what came with my '67 and the...
  10. M

Garage Floor Coating/Flooring recommendations

I'm looking to epoxy/cover my 700sqft 3-car garage and need recommendations for something I can apply myself, won't wear off with normal (non-industrial) use, and can be cleaned or replaced easily. After a few years of what my wife considers "disgusting" work in our shared 3 car garage - she...
  11. M

Hints on removing nut after cotter pin breaks

I need hints on how to remove a bolt with a broken cotter pin that I can't seem to get to: Link to picture: http://bit.ly/1GZQnZR I managed to get 3 out of 4 tie rod ends removed and the last the cotter pin broke off and now I can't even turn it with an air rachet. I think I've removed...
  12. M

Gas Boiled out of Tank??

Drove my stock '66 for about 10 miles today. Everything was great. Let it sit outside in 80degree weather for a few hours in the sun and came out to find that the gas filler tube had filled up with gas and had run out and ruined the (apparently poor) paint job on my car. Any had this...
  13. M

Alternative Tie Rod Ends

For my '66 SV Alpine - neither Sunbeam Specialities, nor Classic Sunbeam appear to have tie-rod ends in stock (or at least a full set). Is there an alternative vehicle's ends that I could use and order from Moss/other? I have not tried Victoria British - as the last set I got from...
  14. M

How long to warm up a 1725?

(today is my day for questions). My 1725 with 32/36 with Pertronix conversion is having a hard time warming up and then seems to run lean - maybe. I'm not sure if this is typical. It will start on the first turn of the crank, but I have to keep my foot on the throttle for a few...
  15. M

Soft brakes after idling for 5 minutes

Nice day yesterday - so I took the SV/1725 out for a 10 mile run, then let it sit idling for 10 minutes in the driveway while I swept the winter out of the garage. I got it in it and backed it up into the garage, stopped (gently) no problem, then pulled forward and had no brakes at all...
  16. M

Turn Signal Components wanted for '66 SV.

A previous owner removed/discarded the front turn signals and stalk on my SV ('66). They then bondo'ed over the holes in the front end of the car. Looking for driver quality, but functional: - Turn signal stalk and mechanism (I have terminated wires hanging under my dash right now). -...
  17. M

Sunny day = Alpine and Ferraris

Freakishly warm in NC today - so I dropped the top and put 20 miles on the Alpine just driving around in circles locally and spotted 2 non-vintage Ferraris doing the same (which is rare for my area). Couldn't help but point out to my daughter that while we saw multiple Ferraris - I'd be...
  18. M

Upper A-Arm (Top Link) removal help

I'm replacing upper ball joints. I cannot figure out how to remove the "top link" (which I presume means the upper A-arm?) in the WSM (Page 17 Section F). My hope was that I could just remove the entire upper A-arm by unbolting the upper ball joint from the stub axle, and then remove the...
  19. M

Shipping? Label on cardboard inside seats

While recovering my 1966 SV seats this weekend - I discovered the following (packing?) label stuck to the cardboard used to form the innards of my seat. Took a picture for historical reasons as it added a little character to the car (and reused the cardboard). Not sure if this was just...
  20. M

Upper/Lower Ball Joint Replacement Process

While I haven't tested for excessive play and my SV is driving fine, I'd like to replace the ball joints (and tie-rod ends) given that all the boots are torn and I've seen the results of failed ball joints. I will buy from SS (if he has any), I've done tie-rod ends before - but never ball...