• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. dtbaker61

Selling my '62 Alpine

Sold about a year ago.... just getting back tot he Forum to close out my account...
  2. dtbaker61

Selling my '62 Alpine

Please give her a new home... make an offer! Completely 'stock' everything as far as I can tell.... Sadly deciding to sell my '62.... I bought it years ago intending to convert to Electric, but just never got to it as I got distracted converting a Miata instead, and I hate to see it sitting...
  3. dtbaker61

...just never got to the Alpine, and I can't stand seeing it sit un-restored... so I've resolved...

...just never got to the Alpine, and I can't stand seeing it sit un-restored... so I've resolved to sell it. Contact me if interested.
  4. dtbaker61

planning to get my '62 running again this spring...

planning to get my '62 running again this spring...
  5. dtbaker61

Nissan in Alpine

bummer they are not BOTH 1" inboard... that would leave room for fatter rear tires. ;) My alpine is sitting waiting for conversion to electric; not running because I broke off a carb jet over-tightening to fix a gas leak.... sigh. Its going to have to wait though as I am only half thru...
  6. dtbaker61

tips on getting it running after sitting

crap..... I decided to give one last tighten, and snapped the damn thing inside the carburetor! so..... I am not planning to rebuild/repair since I am pulling the engine eventually anyway to replace w electric motor. I just wanted to post a followup for anyone else noticing dripping from these...
  7. dtbaker61

ok, couldn't find my cork, so decided just to install the rubber gasket and give it a shot for now.... pumped bowl full no problem, but had a little weeping of gas at outlet line. It wasn't the line to carbs, but the weird size thru bolt that holds the fitting on. I dunno what size that bolt IS...
  8. dtbaker61

hhhhmmmm, just finished trimming the rubber one, but perhaps I'll look for my sheet cork and see if I can trim one up instead. I don't know exactly what KIND of rubber the sink gasket is, and was just hoping it would hold up to the gas for at least a while...
  9. dtbaker61

plan today is to make a fresh gasket and give it a shot. I found a rubber sink gasket that looks like it will work with just a minor trim on OD. I have some cork sheet if that doesn't work. Long-term restoration of gas tank is irrelevant since the plan is to pull everything out and convert to...
  10. dtbaker61

too late on the non-backward advice. ;) I blew back from the bowl, and heard bubbles in the gas tank. I stopped, and got a wash of gravity-fed gas, or perhaps pressurized from the air building up in fuel tank itself. I slapped the fuel bowl on, and attempted manual prime, but it did not fill the...
  11. dtbaker61

ok, few taps with deadblow rubber mallet and I got the glass bowl loose.... cork gasket only cracked in one place, but I guess I ought to plan on replacing that. Bowl was DRY, so I vacuumed out the little pile of rust that was at the bottom. Pumped the hand-primer lever for another couple...
  12. dtbaker61

no.... It had a couple gallons in tank, and I added 2 gallons of premium fresh. Unless there are no bubbles or visible anything in bowl when it IS full? I was sort of expecting the gas to have a reddish tinge, but the bowl is clear as can be. The lever has almost no resistance beyond the...
  13. dtbaker61

no fuel in bowl ok, I'm getting back to this.... I need to move the alpine! I did find the handy manual lever right on the bottom of the fuel bowl, but it sure looks like no fuel gets to bowl after 5 minutes of finger-cramping pumping... I am wondering if I need to undo the outlet or remove...
  14. dtbaker61

well thats cool, I didn't know there WAS a manual lever. I will look! I remember my Tiger fuel pump was in the little hatch by the battery as it required the occasional whack to keep it ticking, but haven't even looked for it on the Alpine. ;)
  15. dtbaker61

exactly how.... ? disconnect fuel line at carbs and crank, or just turn 'on' so fuel pump flushes fuel line, fills bowl, etc? ...I don't know what you mean by 'hand prime'.
  16. dtbaker61

I suspect it is mostly fuel delivery issue.... old gas in the line and then perhaps flooded by the time the fresh gas fills fuel bowl and gets to carb. Spark and all were fine when last running. so..... best way to clear old gas from line and re-start without flooding? I typically have to...
  17. dtbaker61

I have not been good about starting my Alpine while it sits waiting for me to work on it.... I haven't started it in 8 months. I charged up battery, put 2 gallons of premium gas in the tank, cranked and cranked in 20 second intervals with 20 seconds between to rest the starter and battery and...
  18. dtbaker61

Nissan in Alpine

you'll have NEW mountains to drive now! around the back of the Sandias, up to the ski area, or north on NM14 the 'back way' to santa fe! personally I am thrilled to know there will be another 'beamer in the area.... I probably will need some sage advice once I really start on mine. Once you get...
  19. dtbaker61

pondering transmission for electric build

I really only 'need' two speeds with this much torque and a wide power band.... I drive the Miata mostly in 3rd and 5th. I checked into a Lenco racing tranny, but that would run about $6k. ;) so..... I'm open to whatever will fit the best, be relatively light and available, and have a good...
  20. dtbaker61

pondering transmission for electric build

very interesting..... I'm wondering if it held together very long. can't tell from the pix whether this is lead or lithium, or what controller is in there so its hard to tell what kind of horsepower he's dealing with. I'd love to try and contact the owner if you think he's still got it?