• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. SRQJeff

Interior padded roll

Hey, has anyone installed the SS padded roll that goes under the soft top boot? It's SS part no. UK74S. I managed to get the clips in the slots, but I don't know what to do with the ends. Rick says the chrome B posts clamp over them, but they seem to be to fat and too long. I assume I need to...
  2. SRQJeff

Door pull screws

Does anyone know what's the deal with the screws that attach the door pulls? I seem to have lost two of them. A #8-32 wiggles around loosely, but a #10-32 will go in only a turn or so. My calipers tell me it's about 1/100 of an inch larger than the original screws. :confused:
  3. SRQJeff

Carpet kit

I'm in the process of installing the SS carpet kit. Could use some advice from anyone who has already done it. 1. Did you have to trim away some padding and cut the carpet where it goes behind the gas pedal? The chunk of padding for the driver's side is bigger than the other one. 2. Did...
  4. SRQJeff

Anti-rattle strips

I'm trying to figure out how to install the fuzzy anti-rattle strips. Rick at SS says they go on after the window is installed, but I can't figure out how to do it. My fingers sure won't fit up there. Any tips? The windows have been the biggest PITA of the whole job.
  5. SRQJeff

Window channel

The horizontal window retaining channel on my driver's side is in pretty crappy shape, with about a 4-inch place where it's rusted through. I don't suppose anyone has a good spare one…
  6. SRQJeff

Steering wheel question

Hey. I've had some parts of the SV off for so long I don't remember how a couple things go back together. I restored my steering wheel, got a new horn ring, etc. But now when I put the wheel and horn ring on, the expander bolt (the threaded rod that slides in and out of the steering column)...
  7. SRQJeff

Another mystery part

I put my steering wheel/horn ring back together and then noticed that I had this spring in the same box of parts. Is it part of the horn ring? It doesn't seem to need it for anything. When I push the ring, it completes the circuit. And the shop manual doesn't mention its existence when...
  8. SRQJeff

Fuel/temp gauge wiring

Finishing up a new wiring harness on my SV. It shows that the fuel and temperature gauges connect to the little voltage regulator under the dash. Can anyone tell me (a) if the regulator is polarized, i.e., does it make a difference which set of terminals you use, and (b) likewise, does it matter...
  9. SRQJeff

Name that part!

OK, when the mechanic put my rebuilt engine back in years ago, he left some stuff off. I've figured out what most of the parts are but am still scratching my head about two items that are obviously intended to brace something. Anyone know what this is and where it goes? It's about 14 inches...
  10. SRQJeff

Wiper motor removal

Was hoping that my nonfunctional wiper motor was just a wiring/switch problem, but apparently not. Does anyone know how to remove the motor/gearbox to work on it? I unbolted it from the firewall and unscrewed the thing where the shaft comes out, but it didn't disengage from the cable. The...
  11. SRQJeff

Windshield to door sealing

Greetings. I've been out of state and off my restoration project since last June, so I forget exactly what I was doing, where I put everything, and what things are. Please help if you can. I recall that I was trying to figure out how to install the rubber seals between the windshield and door...
  12. SRQJeff

Clutch cylinder rebuild

I'm rebuilding my clutch master cylinder, but I can't tell from the illustrations in the manual exactly where everything goes. The photo shows the piston exactly the way it came out of the cylinder. But, judging by the exploded view in the manual, it looks like the rubber cup is installed...
  13. SRQJeff

Boost power with a porcelain carb...

If you're tired of fooling around with the old Strombergs and want some extra HP, consider this cool modification: http://videos2view.net/more-power.htm :D
  14. SRQJeff

Rocker panel sill trim

Does anyone know of a source for the aluminum strips that go under the doors? I suppose I can put mine back on, but they're pretty corroded. Some repros would look a lot better. BTW, totally different subject, but I was looking for plugs for the 1-inch holes in the floor pans. The usual sources...
  15. SRQJeff

Windshield removal

I need to replace my windshield seal (glass to frame) but can't find a glass shop that will do it. They say the glass usually breaks when you take it out. Does anyone know a safe way to do it myself?
  16. SRQJeff

Insulation

I found a thread about using Fatmat/Dynamat on the interior. Seems like a good product, but that doesn't eliminate the need for some kind of padding under the carpet, right? If that's true, does anyone have recommendations on what to use? Some neoprene foam available from the Foam Factory...
  17. SRQJeff

Steering wheels

Just thought I'd throw this in. For many years, I thought about getting a sexier aftermarket steering wheel. I recall that, back in '67, most of us thought the stock one was kind of a retro 1950s look, and we wanted something cooler. But now that the entire car is retro, I decided to recondition...
  18. SRQJeff

Cigarette lighter

My SV has had a hole in the dash for a cigarette lighter all this time, but I've never had one. Does anyone know where I can get one that matches the windshield squirter? I don't actually want to use it, but it would look better if I had something plugged in.
  19. SRQJeff

Fuse keeps melting down

Hey, folks. The good news is that, after a slumber of between 15 and 20 years, my SV started yesterday with very little coaxing. Thank goodness for the Weber. The old Strombergs would have been basket cases by now. But a problem has suddenly cropped up. Every time I turn the key on, a fuse blows...
  20. SRQJeff

No spark in SV...

Hey, folks. I'm stumped again, hoping someone can help. I'm not getting any spark for some unknown reason. As far as I can tell, I'm supposed to be getting power to the coil from the wire that runs from the bottom of the solenoid switch, along the firewall, and to the positive terminal on the...