• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. A

Series V Head Gasket Installation

I’m about to install a new head gasket on my Series V. Don’t remember whether the copper surface faces the engine block or the bottom of the head. Can someone give my memory a jolt. Also I am using a copper spray on the gasket and it says to spray both sides of the gasket. Any advise? Alpiner
  2. A

Oil Leak from Bottom of Bellhousing

After taking a drive in my Series V there is a steady oil drip coming from the drain hole in the bottom of the bell housing that bolts the gearbox to the rear of the engine. It stops dripping after a few minutes with the car parked and leaves a 4" round oil spot under the car. I'm thinking this...
  3. A

Walnut Dash Mystery Hole

I just installed a SS walnut dashboard in my SV and am puzzled by the 1/2" hole in the dash just above and to the right of the volt/amp gauge on the left side of the steering wheel. All of the gauges, switches, lights, etc have been installed in their correct locations. Does anyone know what...
  4. A

Sunbeam Specialties Website

When I try to access Sunbeam Specialties website I get a notice from my Norton protection service that the webpage is a known dangerous site and blocks me from access. Has anyone else had this happen? Is there some issue with SS where they may have had a security problem? I plan to call Rick on...
  5. A

Series 5 Carburetor Thermal Spacers

I'm looking for the thermal spacers that go between the carburetor base and inlet manifold. Are these spacers still being sold? Do people make their own? Are they even necessary?
  6. A

Series 5 PCV Valve

Looking for an original PCV valve for my 1966 Series 5. Understand that they are repairable. Tried using a Standard Products V100 and had a bad experience, so trying to find an original valve.
  7. A

PCV Valve Source

I've commented on this issue before but still need some help/advise. I had installed a Standard Brand V100 PCV valve on my Series V. The internal rod in the valve broke away from the spring and got sucked into the intake manifold , then into #1 cylinder, and fractured the piston. I've ordered a...
  8. A

Push Rod Slip

Has anyone experienced the slip of a push rod from under the rocker arm heel? Just happened to my series V fortunately while I was doing a carb adjustment at idle and I heard the clanking.
  9. A

Broken 1st-2nd Gear Shift Fork Rod

Unfortunately I managed to break in two pieces the transmission 1st-2nd shift fork rod on my Series V. The break is at the 2nd gear detente ball location. SS lists the rod/shaft but is NLA. Does anyone know where to purchase a new/used rod or if the rod is repairable? Alpiner
  10. A

Series V Rear Tail Light Bulb Sockets

The rear tail light bulb sockets(upper and lower) on my Series V need replacement. Does anyone know where to get replacements or substitutes? Alpiner
  11. A

Series V Throttle Linkage

The throttle linkage between the two CD 150 carbs on my Series V is cracked and the throttles are not rotating together. The linkage material appears to be plastic(a bakelite material?). I need to replace the linkage but can not find original replacement parts. Does anyone know of a source or...
  12. A

Series 5 gearbox rear cover oil seal

Is it possible to remove and replace the gearbox rear cover oil seal in the Series 5 without removing the gearbox? Mine has a minor leak, but is messy. Alpiner
  13. A

Series V Carburetor to Inlet Manifold Spacer

I may have asked this question before but can't find the answer. When I removed the CD150 carbs from my Series V there were thermal spacers between the carb base and intake manifold. These are called insulating washers in the Rootes Parts Catalogue p/n 1235149. Does anyone know where to buy...
  14. A

Paltech Technologies

I'm in need of ZS CD150 carb rebuilds on my 1966 SV due to vacuum leaks around the throttle shafts. I've contacted Jeff at Paltech Technologies and he seems pretty knowledgeable and capable. Has anyone used Paltech for carb rebuilds. Any other recommendations? Alpiner
  15. A

Engine Stuttering under load

Just finished extensive rebuild of my Series V. New Petronix ignition system, rebuilt Stromberg CD150 carbs, all standard adjustments to timing, carbs, etc. check out O.K. Road test results in engine stuttering on accel under load and stalling when coming to a stop. Also engine idling is erratic...
  16. A

SeriesV Crankcase Ventilation Valve

How important is the Crankcase Ventilation Valve in the Series V? The WSM says if it is not operating properly it can cause poor idling. Mine makes a rattling sound at idle with the top stem able to rotate. I can't find a replacement for it at the usual part shops. Can I just plug the port on...
  17. A

Loss of Power/Stuttering Under Load

So after I got the clutch hydraulics sorted out I took my SeriesV out for a test drive. For the first 15 minutes the car was running fairly well with a little hesitation when cruising. Suddenly the car started loosing power and began skipping with my foot on the gas. When I back off the gas it...
  18. A

Bleeding Clutch Hydraulic System

I replaced the clutch master cylinder seals in my SV and am trying to bleed the hydraulic system per the WS manual. No matter how careful I am in ensuring the fluid reservoir is full and following the WS manual procedure, I can't seem to get all the air out of the system or at least the...
  19. A

SV CD 150 carb base thermal spacer gasket

Wanted Stromberg CD150 carb to intake manifold thermal spacer gaskets. Need one for each carb on Series V.
  20. A

Gas "boiling" in Front CD150 Carb

After overhauling my SV Alpine engine, carbs, etc., and road testing I've experienced something unique to me. The gas in the front carb appears to be boiling and leaking out of the carb flanges, throttle rod ports, etc. I can hear the gas boiling in only the front carb after running the car on...