• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. Van Bagley

Repairing bakelite surround

How does one repair a broken in have bakelite surround that fits in front of the cubby?
  2. Van Bagley

Flat spot in steering box

My steering box has always had a slight flat spot but recently it has become worse and clunky. Do I need to replace the entire box. What is wearing out?
  3. Van Bagley

Best alternator for a 1725

There are lots of alternators out there, is there a preferred unit for a 1725? Van
  4. Van Bagley

Overdrive wiring question

Where does the overdrive get it's power? There are 3 wires that come from the switch ( steering column) and they all go to the relay. 2 wires from the relay go to the OD itself plus a ground. The relay is new and I assume it works. Van
  5. Van Bagley

Runs great for 30 minutes then not so well

Now that I am able to actually drive my car I still have a few issues. First start up with full choke the engine will fire and run as it should. Idle around 900 rpm when warm and choke in. Driving for the first 2o miles or so everything is OK with the exception of a few random coughs. The...
  6. Van Bagley

Gauge readings

My gauges read a bit high ( all recently rebuilt by Palo Alto Speedometer) I am told that there is a resister than should be replaced. Are these available and is there such a thing. I have never noticed one.
  7. Van Bagley

Dash cubby

Does anyone make a decent replacement dash cubby?
  8. Van Bagley

Ignition Resistor

I recently went back to a new ( rebuilt ) dizzy with points etc. I got rid of electronic ignition I'm in need of an ignition resistor. Sunbeam Specialties list them as NLA. Does anyone know where I can find one?
  9. Van Bagley

Best source for Oil cooler lines (1725)

I discovered brittle and cracked oil cooler lines. What is the best source or do I have to have them made?
  10. Van Bagley

Stupid timing question

When using a timing light I cannot get the dampener to show TDC. It appears to be 180 off. It runs OK but this is not correct. I thought I could pull out the dizzy and rotate it so the rotor would point to #1 and with the dampener at TDC. At first I thought I had the dampener on incorrectly.
  11. Van Bagley

engine removal video

Is there a video that details engine removal and replace?
  12. Van Bagley

Overdrive relay

Does any know where I can get a new relay? Sunbeam Specialities does not stock them.
  13. Van Bagley

Poorly made hubs from MWS

I bought 4 hubs and spinners from MWS. The rears are perfect. The fronts will not accept the race. The race will not recede far enough into the hub, this not allowing enough space to put the castle nut along with the washer and the pin. I used a press to get the race in and it still is not far...
  14. Van Bagley

Splines are not all the same

I just installed new splines in my SV and after driving for about 5o miles the front splines became loose. Upon removal I discovered that the spacer or washer behind the castle nut was not seeding correctly. It appears to me that the new splines do not support the washer/spacer. The splines came...
  15. Van Bagley

Clutch replacement

Do I have to pull out the motor to replace the clutch?
  16. Van Bagley

Axle replacement

Upon removing the rear splines I managed to bugger up the threads to both rear axles. I am waiting for a die that will hopefully clean up the threads so I can get a nut back on. What if I have to replace each axle? How difficult is this to do?
  17. Van Bagley

hard wheel clunking when braking

When braking one of the wheels (wire) will clunk. Sometimes the right rear or one of the front wheels. My suspicion is that the splines on the wheels are either worn or the hubs are worn and or both. I often pull the wheel off, and retighten it. Before I spend big bucks on hubs and wheels how...
  18. Van Bagley

Best Aluminum Radiator?

My SV get driven weekly. Sumer is here and I need to keep it cool. Currently I have an aux electric fan ( 8") . It helps but not enough. I'm looking for advice regarding an aluminum radiator or other options
  19. Van Bagley

Electric Fan

After owning my SV for 26 years I now need to add an electric fan. Also I'm looking for a 6 bladed fan. This summer has been way warmer than in the past even here in the Bay Area. Are there any recommendations for a source for a 6 bladed fan and what is the best electric fan? Van
  20. Van Bagley

Caliper replacement from Moss?

My front calipers are a mess. Are any of the calipers that are sold from Moss Motors interchangeable?