• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. Van Bagley

Repairing bakelite surround

Thank you all.
  2. Van Bagley

Repairing bakelite surround

How does one repair a broken in have bakelite surround that fits in front of the cubby?
  3. Van Bagley

14" wire wheels

@Thor 1211, Can you post a picture of your wheels mounted onto your car?
  4. Van Bagley

Flat spot in steering box

Upon inspection of my steering box I have discovered that the worm gears are severely worn. I can take the gear to my local machinist that specializes in race cars and have them weld and refinish the gear. Or my other option is to find a new or not so worn out worm gear. Does anyone know of...
  5. Van Bagley

Best oil type for a 1966 Series V 1725 with a Weber Conversion

I use Brad Penn 20/50 in my 928 as well as the Sunbeam. It has the amount of zinc required for vintage engines.
  6. Van Bagley

Tie rod ends are not that old and I'm currently replacing the upper ball joints, I replaced the lowers a few years back. Uppers are not that bad, just old so why not. I will check the steering relay pivot bushings...good suggestion Thanks
  7. Van Bagley

My steering box has always had a slight flat spot but recently it has become worse and clunky. Do I need to replace the entire box. What is wearing out?
  8. Van Bagley

Best alternator for a 1725

Great information Thank you all !
  9. Van Bagley

Best alternator for a 1725

There are lots of alternators out there, is there a preferred unit for a 1725? Van
  10. Van Bagley

Overdrive wiring question

All of the wiring in the entire car is new from headlight to tail light including all the under dash.
  11. Van Bagley

Thanks, this is very helpful. I have a SV that I installed the OD into about 5 years ago. It has worked well until recently.
  12. Van Bagley

Where does the overdrive get it's power? There are 3 wires that come from the switch ( steering column) and they all go to the relay. 2 wires from the relay go to the OD itself plus a ground. The relay is new and I assume it works. Van
  13. Van Bagley

Gauge readings

I just installed a new voltage stabilizer and what a difference... Thank you
  14. Van Bagley

Dash cubby

Thank you for this. I have one just like it. Were they originally made as poorly as the replacements black paper board and staples showing?
  15. Van Bagley

Runs great for 30 minutes then not so well

Before switching to the Pertronics , I tried a new coil and condenser trying my best to make it work. I must have re-gaped and re checked everything a dozen times. I did an OHM test on everything, including the old coil and a new one, checked and re checked. I wasn't all that keen on using the...
  16. Van Bagley

The problem has been solved! When I had my tach rebuilt I was told that with a Pertronix dizzy the tach would not read correctly. I then purchased a rebuilt standard dizzy from Advanced Distributors in MN. After trouble shooting everything mentioned in this thread and contacting Jeff Schlemmer...
  17. Van Bagley

I have not changed out the condenser thinking that I have less than 100 miles on a new distributor. I will do it today as well
  18. Van Bagley

Yesterday I found that the dizzy was not gapped correctly. I gapped it .15 and the motor ran perfectly from a cold start. I drove the car for about 6 miles without any missing. Flawless. Then all hell broke loose. Same thing, backfire, missing, random response. I stopped the car, opened the...
  19. Van Bagley

The gas cap could be the problem. After sitting for 24 hours, there is zero pressure when opening the cap. When running just for a few miles there is noticeable pressure when opening RootesRooter; yes the dizzy came with a new cap
  20. Van Bagley

Great information, thank you all. I will replace the condenser and the coil straight away. The newest part is the distributor which is a rebuilt 25D from Jeff Schlemmer in MN There is back pressure when opening the fuel cap, I will check the venting as well. Also it will diesel when shutting...