• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. B

Is this what we can look forward to in the US

For reference, I live in Surrey, BC, and ride through North Delta regularly... The BC "Liberal" government has been a series of cuts and and dirty dealing from the get-go. One of the first things Gordon Campbell did when he took power was to nullify collective agreements within the...
  2. B

V/6 starter and alternator??

Its been several years since I had to think about it, but I know I had problems with it when I was running a Mustang II engine with a Bronco II 5-speed. The difference is only about 1/8", but it was enough to make a godsaeful racket when I used the wrong one. Your best bet would be to...
  3. B

Something to note on V6 starters... While the starter used on the later Ranger/Bronco II/Aerostar looks the same, the "nose cone" and shaft are a slightly different length, which will mess up the throw if used with the Mustang II setup (and vice versa). The difference is about 1/8"
  4. B

Actually, there is NO duty charged on US (well NAFTA) produced auto parts into Canada. You MAY get dinged GST/PST, and many cross-border carriers charge a $40 "fee" for clearing the parts through Customs on ground service. Use the Postal service to avoid this ridiculous cash grab. If a...
  5. B

Arizona Senator speaks out

John W, the difference here is that once the "tide" turns, the LEGAL immigration system might actually become functional and able to keep pace. NOTHING in the new legislation (at least that I've heard of or read) has ANY effect on those who are LEGAL immigrants.
  6. B

V6 installation

Yes, the 2.8 LOVES to rev! Just don't overdo it too much. I've found that extensive 8K+ rotation tends to be a bit hard on head gaskets after a while :D
  7. B

2.8 dipstick and tube

I'll see if I can dig up a spare one for ya. Gimme a day or so and I'll post back...
  8. B

should I show?

Speaking from a marginally different perspective, I look at it as "do you want others to critique your ride? Or is your car a labour of love that is for your OWN love of it?" I generally take my car to one local show a year (where we invade with our Mustang II's and make a major showing of...
  9. B

Tired of being compared to junk

They can still be found up here in BC occasionally, sometimes even as an unrestored daily driver! To be honest, other than the hood and grille, I like the Pinto as well. I just don't much enjoy some ignorant SOB calling my King a Pinto any more than the owner of a 68 Shelby would like having...
  10. B

Tired of being compared to junk

Although I've never owned a Sunbeam, I can relate entirely... Think about this for a second.... My hands-down favourite era of the Mustang is the 74-78... And my favourite Mustang power plant is the 2.8.... In the eyes of most Mustang enthusiasts, I'm DOUBLE-damned, as WELL as...
  11. B

Mustang II V6 Parts in Pacific Northwest

I just got a line on a V6/C4 bellhousing, spacer plate, flexplate, and torque converter from a 78 MII if anyone is in need... And I have parts from at least 4 2.8's of 75-78 vintage...
  12. B

Ford v6 blocks

Its been a few years since I've done anything with it, and much of the work was done by a shop for the previous owner, but what I can recall offhand is: Carter 400 CFM 4-bbl (I'd like to go up a bit more. Regardless of the math, I've always found that the 2.8 likes a bit more carb) on an...
  13. B

Ford v6 blocks

Mike, the stock 5.0 in a Mustang II put out 139 hp and won't rev higher than about 5500 rpm reliably, whereas the snarky little 2.8 I have hanging in the garage as dyno-ed at 195 hp in a Pinto several years ago (before I added a few more goodies) and redlines at almost 8K. When I was tuning the...
  14. B

Ford v6 blocks

The Bronco II/Ranger/86 Aerostar 2.8 are similar to the Mustang II 2.8, although the "truck" version has larger cam journals. Very little besides the valve covers and flywheel will actually swap from the 2.8 to either the 2.9 or either of the 4.0 versions, and the 2.8 will almost always...
  15. B

Ford 2.8 starter

One thing I have found that can be problematic with the 2.8 starters is that at one time, one of the crossover books listed the Bronco II/Ranger starter and the Mustang II starter backwards. (they have a slightly different cone length, so a different depth engagement) . I had a few headaches...
  16. B

Ford 2.8 4 speed manual engine block plate

Glad to help out! (even if it was just to trigger an idea for ya) :cool:
  17. B

Ford 2.8 4 speed manual engine block plate

Rob, I just got your email. I'd have to dig the parts out to double-check, but I believe all Cologne V6's use the same pattern and thickness of block plate (except the Capri) regardless of transmission. I'll dig through my spares pile in the morning and compare the ones I have (I know I have a...
  18. B

8 inch rear end

I'll send these to your email as well, but: and
  19. B

8 inch rear end

Yeah, the Rangers and Aerostars had an optional brake upgrade, usually on 8.8, 4x4, and heavy duty option packages. Those drums are a direct crossover to the 80's Lincolns. Spacers aren't as bad as the adapters. The problem was that the crack allowed the two pieces of the adapter to wobble...
  20. B

8 inch rear end

Chuck, I know that the ranger drums are a direct fit onto a Mustang II 8" with the axle shafts redrilled to 5 on 4.5", since I've done the conversion on two Mustangs in the last week and a half :) The beauty is that you can pick them up on just about any budget, since they can be bought new...