• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. K

Series V shell in Texas

First off, the price is $100.00, obo. I have a Series V shell available. I was going to try and rescue a rotted Tiger, but the Tiger is so far gone, the result would be an Alger, and not TAC approvable, so I've given up on the idea. The shell had the bad floor pans and trunk floor cut out...
  2. K

help with crankshaft damper ring

I am assembling my 1725 and can't figure out where the rubber damper ring goes. It is identified as item 32/1 in the parts guide or item 5 in the Sunbeam Specialties crankshaft picture. It doesn't seem to fit anywhere that makes sense. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Tim
  3. K

Main bearing bolt washers

The machine shop managed to misplace the washers for the main bearing cap bolts on my SV. Are these special, or would a grade 5 or 8 flat washer be OK? Thanks, Tim
  4. K

Anyone bought a car in Canada?

I found what looks like a good project Alpine in Canada, but there seems very little information about what it takes to bring one into the US. Has anyone done that before? Any help is appreciated, Tim
  5. K

Help with a Tiger ID plate

In looking for Alpine parts, I came across a poor worn out Tiger I'm thinking of buying. The ID plate seems odd though. It appears to be a later MK1 (ending in 3127) but the letters are LRO FE. I wasn't expecting a left drive car with a home market identifier. Can anyone help me understand...
  6. K

WTD: Opinions on replacement pistons

I've read through the archives and can't really find much on this. My SV needs a .030 overbore to clean up the damage from the head gasket leak. Anyway, it seems there are a lot of pistons out there. I found a good price on a set from Classic Garage, but they are shown as 8.5:1. Some vendors...
  7. K

Vizard book is cool!

I found a used copy in great condition and I've been reading it non-stop. I had so many misconceptions about porting, compression, etc. I'm amazed I never heard about this book during my hot rod days. Tim
  8. K

Advice on how to replace missing SV oil cooler

I have been digging through the boxes of stuff from the DPO and the oil cooler, lines and connector plate are all missing. The car ran without it, and the oil filter stand looked 'right' without the oil cooler and associated parts, so I didn't realize it should be there. Any suggestions on how...
  9. K

WTD: 1725 cam retainer and main bearing bolt

I just got my SV engine apart and need at least two things. I broke the camshaft retaining plate trying to get the cam gear off. I also had one of the long front main bearing cap bolts gall the threads on the way out. I'm assuming I can save the block, but I'll need a bolt for sure. Any...
  10. K

WTD: opinions on replacement windshields

I finally put the windshield back in my Series V (which started this madness again) and after three days it just cracked, top to bottom right in the middle. Since I am now in the market for a windshield, I see Victoria British and Sunbeam Specialties both have windshields in stock. Has anyone...
  11. K

WTD: SV rebuildable stock front end parts

After a long discussion with the SO, the car is a go for a full redo. :D To that end, I'd like to buy good used control arms, sway bar and other major front suspension pieces. My plan is to hopefully find some for a fair price, send them out for sand blasting and powder coating and then do...
  12. K

WTD: Series V .030 or larger pistons

I have my block off the the machine shop and it looks like an .030 oversize piston will get the roughness out of the bores. I know new piston sets are readily available, but I figured it was worth a shot to see if someone here had a set they were not going to use I could save some money on. I...
  13. K

Series 5 engine rebuild help wanted

I'm a first time poster to the group, and have been very impressed with what I've read so far. I used to be a domestic auto tech many moons ago, and I know a bit about Rootes cars. Anyway, I decided to pull my SV out of the garage after a few years, and to shorten the story, #4 cyl had...