• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. kmathis

2.9 valves

2.9 valves are the way to go, the whole issue with the 2.8 heads is breathing. with the 2.9 valves and seats you can really feel the difference in the power band. New seats and new valves and your machine shop shouldn't have any issues. I think the 2.9 valves are marginally taller or shorter...
  2. kmathis

What's the most power you've been able to achieve?

I know this is just a computer program, but it sure is fun! I like the numbers.:)
  3. kmathis

This is very interesting...I am running 39 total timing at 6 K and every time we reduced timing I gained HP, it would have been interesting to have backed it off further to 34 total as your program says and ran it again...and you are right about the idle being lean, I have my idle screws turned...
  4. kmathis

All of this cam stuff is fascinating. Can't wait to see what's next. Once all of the calculations are in it will be interesting to focus on a particular build to see what is needed as far as cam timing goes...advance or retard. To many numbers at this point. I like the idea of moving the cam...
  5. kmathis

I am positive that is not the case. My first engine had .060 deck clearance, as I had shaved the block.030 to raise the compression to 8.5. My current deck clearance is .000 My stock deck clearance was .090. That first engine ran great, with no idling issues...meaning it had a definite...
  6. kmathis

Jose always called it an "almost 3/4 race cam" in using this cam before I did get some rough idle but the timing was at about 14 deg BTDC. So, the jury is still out as to why I have so much timing now. Delta is going to grind one next week and check it to be sure it is true to the original...
  7. kmathis

See Below for the cam specs from Jon at Delta. Subject: cam specs int duration 252 x .478 lift exh duration 245 x .454 lift duration is at .050" lift rpm band 2600-5800 above standard street use but not a race cam I'd call it Hot Street Thank you, Jon Bodwell
  8. kmathis

Spoke to John at Delta again this morning and he is going to send over the specs for the cam later today...when I get them I will post them for our enjoyment...:) He hasn't had a chance to check to see if there are any differences from the original specs on the cam itself...however he is...
  9. kmathis

What ever, Dan...all I'm saying is that this cam has been used for years without issue, and if there is a possibility that there is an issue now, then Delta should be able to check to see if anything has changed, which they are going to do. I will let you know what they find out. Dang your...
  10. kmathis

It is interesting that DanR and I are having similar issues with idle and whatnot, I just spoke to John at Delta Camshafts and he feels that the cam is the same profile as they have been grinding for 30 years...he did say that it was a mild cam not a full race cam and he will grind one and check...
  11. kmathis

I agree that it is crazy and not recommending it to anyone, I have never in 40 plus years ran into anything like this. It is just how this engine want to run. less than that and it wont idle at all. I am running a stock distributer and it looks to me that it advances total of about 8...
  12. kmathis

My static timing is...believe it or not...32 deg. BTDC...crazy. I have a stock distributor with a 6-8 degree total advance. No detonation, no hard starting, no dieseling, no overheating...go figure. That is just what it likes. I just had it out this morning for a run around town, and it...
  13. kmathis

Todd; I was surprised that when he backed my timing off 11 degrees that the idle was pretty good, I didn't have to make any carb adjustments. It is idling at 1100-1200 rpms, but when you are standing there listening to it, it doesn't sound like a fast idle. It purrs nicely. I will check the...
  14. kmathis

Dyno results are in So, on to the Dyno I went this morning...the results below. Started out with 124 HP to the rear wheels; the Air/Fuel was a little rich, but not enough to change it, however the timing...which I knew I had a bunch of timing...was 50 deg. total timing, each time we backed...
  15. kmathis

V6 running too hot

also, what radiator cap are you running, I am running a 13 PSI cap, and my temp gauge shows a little high as well, however I never lose any coolant...so that's where it likes to run.
  16. kmathis

67 v6 Restomod build

You have done some of the nicest sheet metal work I have seen. Your whole dash and console situation is going to be stellar when completed. I also love the pan that you made in the trunk for your fuel cell. A great idea sinking it down a bit. Isn't it nice when you get that first coat of...
  17. kmathis

Paul Scofield RIP

That is real nice seeing Paul's picture when you bring up the site. I too had conversations back and forth with him over the years. He was two years younger than me and I had a heart attack last summer, and it was a hard fight back, so my sincere condolences to his family and those that knew...
  18. kmathis

Holley 4160, 390cfm on V6 - Setup/Debug

Mine idles at about 1100 RPMs, but I am happy with that...engine mods have their cost, and idle may be one of them. It did make a huge difference changing out that power valve and re-jetting, the motor accelerates very smooth and idles with about 9-10 in HG, and drops significantly off idle...
  19. kmathis

Jose was in town

Jose was in Temecula, Ca. today, so Rich and I drove down and had lunch with him. What a great time that was. That is Rich on the left, Me and Jose on the right. And of course the star of the show was the car...it wins out.;)
  20. kmathis

Modified Exhaust

Just a couple of more pictures.