• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. Shannon Boal

Boot weatherstripping

I pressurized my fuel tank with a hand pump from HF and a big rubber stopper from a home-brewing supply (they have a size that fits the water cooler five gallon bottles, about that size for tank filer). Then I sprayed soap suds and looked for bubbles. That located a leaking tank sender gasket...
  2. Shannon Boal

Diff oil

s I like the "leave a brass key in the oil" test.....Turns out, there is a lab test for that. ASTM D130 puts a polished copper strip in the test lube for three hours at 100C (or 50C for fuels). The rating for my favorite gear lube is "1b" which means the polished test strip has a slight tarnish.
  3. Shannon Boal

Heater Valve

Wow! Didja build a ball-cock valve?
  4. Shannon Boal

Diff oil

I went through my series V rear axle. (The pinion seal leaked, and I was scared by some rear end's having loose ring gear bolts....) I used Amsoil Severe Gear 80W-90. I have used that lube in repairing gears (professionally) since about 1980. Anyway, new differential bearings are set up tight...
  5. Shannon Boal

Heater Valve

I bought a new design from Jerome of Alpine Innovations. I have been running with it for a year or two. It is brass, and you cannot blow through it (it shuts off the coolant completely). It is a good fit, and includes a bracket for my series V. I think I chose different screws for the bracket...
  6. Shannon Boal

A-Arm Bushing FAILURE

What can you recall about the lower custom fulcrum pins and bushings? Steel bar stock in brass/bronze/ oilite bushings?
  7. Shannon Boal

A-Arm Bushing FAILURE

Are the original type bushings available......are the Sunbeam Specialties bushings OK?
  8. Shannon Boal

1st time valve adjustment

I will measure and post. It was a four-foot piece of round bar with a turned-down nose ending in a pointed end, It had a 1/4" cross rod and two bends for the crank. More info to come!
  9. Shannon Boal

April 5+6 2024- Columbia, SC Invasion.

Eric, Debbie and I will be there Friday! Sorry for the late notice, Thank You for all you do! Shannon Boal, 352-317-2094
  10. Shannon Boal

Can the Drivers side Head be removed while engine is in the Tiger?

I stand corrected. I remember two windsor motors sitting on the shop floor, measuring across the exhaust manifolds.....but it was forty years ago
  11. Shannon Boal

One other thing, engine width. If I recall, 302 Ford is a little wider that 289, so I suppose the 289 is wider than 260. You might look at that while mulling over the possibilities.
  12. Shannon Boal

I can tell you a little about piston failure. Your damaged piston maybe due to overheat or detonation, probably not tight ring end gaps. Ring gaps are made a touch loose,(.004" extra end gap), if you want minimum gaps you buy special plus five thou OD rings and hand fit them. Piston may scuff...
  13. Shannon Boal

Series 3 rear axle hub removal

Would you share the link for the puller?
  14. Shannon Boal

Series 3 rear axle hub removal

That puller used to come with three legs, and you could buy a fourth. The folks in England apply heat with a ginormous soldering iron. They leave it on the hub for about twenty minutes. I use the two legs, wind it up tight, and tap on the forcing screw with a three pound hammer. tap, tighten...
  15. Shannon Boal

Out and About

Fall weather reached North FLorida, meaning no rain or excessive heat. I have taken the Alpine about 150 miles in two days, all top down.....it feels good! These are fun cars to drive....whenever possible, using "blue highways".
  16. Shannon Boal

Head flow test results

https://www.amazon.com/Empi-4006-0-Hardened-Valve-1600Cc/dp/B00EQFNF2K
  17. Shannon Boal

Head flow test results

Fantastic flow/lift information. As a starting point, Intake valve dimensions 1.503" diameter; 0.3110" stem diameter; 4.66" overall length......Exhaust 1.204" diameter, 0.3110" stem diameter, 4.66" OAL (Per...
  18. Shannon Boal

SV popping out of Third Gear

Gotta find what is worn. All that stuff (fork, synchro hub) tends to wear if the shaft is able to move in it's bearings. It may be moving axially or fore-and-aft. Input shaft, it's ball bearing and needle bearings would all interest me. I don't know what is the most common failure.