• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. puff4

Alpine Innovations Weber Carb Conversion

The Pierce... as well as all the similar Rootes 'log' manifolds. They simply don't work, IMHO.
  2. puff4

Hardtop color?

Warren, where did you get the rear glass? I do have tempered glass side windows for this top - they were salvaged from another top I owned - but I’d love to improve upon what will ultimately become a hazy rear window.
  3. puff4

This manifold greatly reduces the condensation of the gasoline and resulting erratic running inherent in the other manifolds, and consequently increases the performance and economy in good measure.
  4. puff4

Hardtop color?

Thanks for your input, Jay! As much as I've made my decision to go with matching, I still appreciate the feedback from you and the other folks! Here's the top as it stands today, fully media blasted.
  5. puff4

Soft top from a S-4 or 5 and Installing on a Series 3 - WON'T FIT

Can you make a PDF of that documentation and post it? It would be useful to me, and also perhaps to many others. (Thanks!!)
  6. puff4

Lots of bits

If you want to send me a window button I can certainly make a CAD file and measure drawings for it, so anyone can have them made by an online makerspace.
  7. puff4

LS Engine Alpine

Man, that LS engine is becoming the new “belly button” motor. Sheesh.
  8. puff4

Slave Cylinder

It’s now a long time ago, but Tiger Tom wrote a very good article on this. Here’s a summary: https://www.teae.org/exploring-brake-fluids-and-seals/
  9. puff4

Sunbeam Alpine: Changing the Gearbox and Overdrive Oil

I don't know of anyone that sells new ones, but certainly there a sure to be a lot of used ones about.
  10. puff4

Tire Recommendations 13”

If this TIRE/GEARING/MPH/RPM chart is helpful, you're welcome to use it. It was originally created by Rich Gordon, and I've subsequently made some small improvements. https://tinyurl.com/AlpineSpeedCalculatorEXCEL NOTE: This spreadsheet MUST be opened in Microsoft Excel. IT WILL NOT WORK in...
  11. puff4

Sunbeam Alpine: Changing the Gearbox and Overdrive Oil

I slip a medium-sized bladed screwdriver into the edge, then gently pry it up... it will come out with reasonable effort, so long as it's not gone hard as a rock... if so, replace it.
  12. puff4

Tire Recommendations 13”

I have Vredestein on my MG TD and they’re really great. Good ride and plenty of stick. Good enough even for running on the track at Put-in-Bay!
  13. puff4

Hardtop color?

Absolutely right - all GT models came with matching hardtops. However, mine is not a GT, it’s an ST, and therein lies the question. Having said that, I do know my car was definitely special ordered. It was ordered for LCDR Robert Baughman by the US Air Force’s Rootes “base agent” in Reykjavík...
  14. puff4

Hardtop color?

Yeah, the hardtop that came with the car - which you now have ;) was red, and I *think* it was ordered with the car, but I’m not sure, and the wife of the original owner passed on a few years ago, so I can’t ask her. :(
  15. puff4

Anyone know whose Harrington this is?

Yeah, that's a good recollection - it does have California dealer tags, so???
  16. puff4

Don't feel bad... I spent literally YEARS trying to get my Zenith-Strombergs to work properly, and I should know how to do it - I've had 4 decades of British tuning under my belt... but I could never get them to run properly either. Heck, I even bought brand new ones in the UK when I was working...
  17. puff4

Anyone know whose Harrington this is?

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but this popped up when I was searching for something else and I was intrigued.... anyone know whose Harrington this is? Lovely cover shot, anyway.
  18. puff4

Hardtop color?

So, as many of you know, my Alpine Series V is pretty much original. Of course, I’ve made many improvements internally in the engine, the brakes, etc. to improve power, safety and longevity, but I’ve tried to maintain an original look. So, it has come time to finally refresh the paint. I’m...
  19. puff4

SV Speedometer input 'screw' size?

I haven’t checked, but there’s a good chance they are BA/BS threads. If I get time I’ll pull one from my spares boxes and check, but Smiths, Jaeger, Lucas and SU were among the last to convert from Whitworth-era fasteners to NF/NC sizing.
  20. puff4

‘59 Singer Gazelle for sale California

I agree, Michael. The market just isn't there, though this certainly is a nice example. For maybe half that price it would be tempting to a few folks, but it's just way overpriced as it is. I had the same issue with my 1949 Triumph Renown when I sold it last summer - the car was beautifully...