• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. JConstable

Tail light question on a series V

Foolish rear tail light question….due to my limited observational skills, and lack of documentation. First the obvious: on the reverse side of the rear light assembly on a series V there are two spade terminals on the bottom light and one on the top light. These terminals are divided...
  2. JConstable

Wheel Question

Can anyone enlighten me to anything about these wheels that came on my Alpine V? Currently, the tire size is P185 70R13. The wheels appear to be alloy of some types (Aluminium?) - image 1 and 5. They are cast with the numbers 6.00 x 13 x 18 - image 2. The caps are marked Alpina GT -...
  3. JConstable

Air vent attachment

All, I have just rebuilt the air vents and I'm trying to get them re-installed into the cowl housing. The instructions from Rick at SS warns that its a hassle and that aluminum pop rivets pulled at an angle ought to work - NO SOAP. The rivets pull partially and then the shaft breaks resulting...
  4. JConstable

WTB: Hood Catch Plate

It appears that when I got my Series V painted the hood catch plate covering the heater core was "mislaid". Does anyone have an extra they are willing to part with? Thanks John
  5. JConstable

Sway bars - rear

All, The series V is slowly advancing and perhaps it will be together before my children decide I'm too old to drive. The car when purchased had a 3/4" front sway bar and a 5/8" rear sway bar. The front is back in place, but I failed to get any pictures of how the rear attaches - my bad. If...
  6. JConstable

Brake Stupidity

All, Two questions that I expect are simple.....(i) in putting my SV back together I pulled out the brake booster that I had re-built before the complete tear town. It had been painted and cleaned, but on pulling it out of deep storage a crystally gunk had formed at several hydraulic...
  7. JConstable

Steering shims...

Steering box shims….You are all likely thinking of the squarish shims that fit between the steering box body and the lid for controlling downward pressure on the recirculating ball mechanism. I am interested in the triangular shims that fit where the steering column enters the steering box...
  8. JConstable

Installation Order?

Santa arrived early with a freshly painted and completely stripped Alpine. Now the difficulty of putting all the parts back in the right places without ending up with too many "extra" parts. Along these lines, is it better to install the engine & transmission with the steering arms in place...
  9. JConstable

Clean-looking HLM at Hyman Motors

Maybe folks have seen this already, but looks pretty nice at Hyman motors Ltd a 1962 HLM: http://www.hymanltd.com/search/Details.asp?stockno=4352&recordCount=64 Likely out of my price league but sure would be nice.
  10. JConstable

K&N air filter

A quick "fit" question for which scouring through 416 results from a search for "air filter" was too difficult (I did search the first 50 however). Will a 1.75" tall K&N (part 56-1030) fit comfortably under the bonnet of a Series V 1725 with a Weber 32/36 carb. and a Pierce manifold? I prefer...
  11. JConstable

Torque Wrenches

A broad question for those experienced mechanics on the forum....It looks like assembly is beginning slowly, therefore its time to spring for a torque wrench, but this is a sizable investment so a few questions how accurate should a good wrench (solid B to A- model) be? what are some decent...
  12. JConstable

Rear Exhaust Hanger

All, In repairing a rust hole in the boot floor above the exhaust hanger a question occurred to me...Is the final exhaust hanger a bolt (or something similar) that hangs through a hole drilled in the boot floor to support the exhaust pipe? OR is there some sort of bracket welded to the...
  13. JConstable

Oil Cooler wanted

Does anyone have a nice condition oil cooler (decent copper wire and good fitting threads) available? Or would folks recommend I stay away from the original and go with some after market? And in a related note, is the original oil pump robust enough to handle a modern oil cooler that likely...
  14. JConstable

SV Fuel Line & Oil Cooler Questions

Two quick questions.... 1. Will a 1/4" OD stainless steel line be sufficient to provide fuel from a stock mechanical fuel pump on a SV to a Weber 32/36? I am hoping yes, as the pipe stub from the fuel pump appears to be 1/4" OD. 2. I plan to mount a 13 row oil cooler from Moss Motors (the...
  15. JConstable

1960 Alpine

Listed on craigslist in Fresno California. I have no association with the seller, but could take a look if someone is interested. John http://visalia.craigslist.org/cto/2023187054.html
  16. JConstable

Engine Storage

All, The newly rebuilt engine has arrived......but no shiny engine bay in which to place it. Since it looks like it will still be a while before it gets back in the car, what is the best way to keep it in like new condition? Currently it is bagged and I can turn the crank every once and...
  17. JConstable

SV Alternator bracket and ?

All, I am searching for a Series V alternator bracket and a ? - the flat plate that covers the transmission flange at the point it joins the engine. It is essentially semi-circular in shape. If this unclear description is not adequate, reply and I'll post a picture. Thanks, John
  18. JConstable

1725 Engine re-assembly tips or tricks?

At long last everything is together to rebuild the lower end of a 1725. Current set up includes a lightened fly from an SII/SIII to be used with an 8.5" disc, 0.0030 overbore with new pistons, KB cam grind, new harmonic damper from BHJ and all new bearings. Now the question.... are there any...
  19. JConstable

Balancing the Engine

All, As I plod forward in getting the engine together again, a question concerning engine balancing arose and exactly what needs to be balanced prior to re-assembling the lower end. My understanding of balancing is that I need to include all rotating parts (damper, crank, pistons & rods...
  20. JConstable

"Harmonic" Damper

A simple question..... I see three options to fixing my existing "Harmonic" damper in which the "rubber" insert has started to degrade and I need some guidance: Option 1. Use a professional service to rebuild the existing damper with a new "rubber" insert. This damper has a somewhat chewed...