• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. JConstable

Tail light question on a series V

Oooo... LEDs are NICE, but I'll stick with the traditional until the wallet recovers from getting the series V back on the road. Thanks for all the comments, I think the PaulA and Bill Blue hit the nail on the head with respect to the rational for the tail lights - I think I'll do the same. John
  2. JConstable

Tail light question on a series V

Foolish rear tail light question….due to my limited observational skills, and lack of documentation. First the obvious: on the reverse side of the rear light assembly on a series V there are two spade terminals on the bottom light and one on the top light. These terminals are divided...
  3. JConstable

Wheel Question

Can anyone enlighten me to anything about these wheels that came on my Alpine V? Currently, the tire size is P185 70R13. The wheels appear to be alloy of some types (Aluminium?) - image 1 and 5. They are cast with the numbers 6.00 x 13 x 18 - image 2. The caps are marked Alpina GT -...
  4. JConstable

Air vent attachment

Tom H, Perhaps I was unclear. Yes, the rivets are located in the edges perpendicular to the dash, and as such pulled rivets will have a long axis parallel to the dash. You are correct, my rivet puller is too wide such that I cannot get the long axis of the rivet parallel to the dash and as a...
  5. JConstable

Air vent attachment

The ground down puller might be a good idea, I'll check this out. I am pulling my rivets from the inside of the air vent such that the smooth head is inside the vent and the compressed end is in the cowling. My puller fits into the vent easily, but too wide to get close enough to the edges...
  6. JConstable

Air vent attachment

All, I have just rebuilt the air vents and I'm trying to get them re-installed into the cowl housing. The instructions from Rick at SS warns that its a hassle and that aluminum pop rivets pulled at an angle ought to work - NO SOAP. The rivets pull partially and then the shaft breaks resulting...
  7. JConstable

WTB: Hood Catch Plate

It appears that when I got my Series V painted the hood catch plate covering the heater core was "mislaid". Does anyone have an extra they are willing to part with? Thanks John
  8. JConstable

Sway bars - rear

Tom H, You hit the nail on the head. I thought the rear sway bar I had on the car at purchase was original - apparently not. Looking at how its attached at its ends there appears to have been some drilling and the insertion of a U-bolt in the frame somehow. I can see how the frame might have...
  9. JConstable

Sway bars - rear

65beam, That would absolutely make my life easier and if the car handles better then there is no downside. Is this the common sentiment regarding rear sway bars? However, for my own peace of mind I'd still like to know how it fits on. John
  10. JConstable

Sway bars - rear

All, The series V is slowly advancing and perhaps it will be together before my children decide I'm too old to drive. The car when purchased had a 3/4" front sway bar and a 5/8" rear sway bar. The front is back in place, but I failed to get any pictures of how the rear attaches - my bad. If...
  11. JConstable

Brake Stupidity

All, Two questions that I expect are simple.....(i) in putting my SV back together I pulled out the brake booster that I had re-built before the complete tear town. It had been painted and cleaned, but on pulling it out of deep storage a crystally gunk had formed at several hydraulic...
  12. JConstable

Steering shims...

All, Taking Puff4's suggestion using a feeler gauge, it looks like I need about 45+ mils of shim and the original steering box had 40 mils of shim. It seems reasonable to me that new ball bearings all around and the presence of some slop in the steering to begin with might together add to...
  13. JConstable

Steering shims...

RootesRooter, The box was assembled with all the original shims and new ball bearing purchased from Rick at SS. Could I have mis-assembled? Of course with my skills, however, loosening the bolts and counting ball bearings suggests that all is well. Additionally, when there is less downward...
  14. JConstable

Steering shims...

Steering box shims….You are all likely thinking of the squarish shims that fit between the steering box body and the lid for controlling downward pressure on the recirculating ball mechanism. I am interested in the triangular shims that fit where the steering column enters the steering box...
  15. JConstable

Installation Order?

All, Thanks for the replies. Perhaps as a first time restorer I was overly eager to get the engine back in the car too soon. However, I recognize wisdom when I see it and am currently re-installing all the ancillary items. Unfortunately, progress is slow as the start of the semester has put...
  16. JConstable

Saddle tank woes

Hmmm, taking tanks in and out......This is my current project as I rebuild after getting the car back from paint. I detest house plumbing because of the concept of leaks, with gas I'm even more concerned. Given this thread, is it recommended to add some sort of sealant under the rubber hose...
  17. JConstable

Installation Order?

Santa arrived early with a freshly painted and completely stripped Alpine. Now the difficulty of putting all the parts back in the right places without ending up with too many "extra" parts. Along these lines, is it better to install the engine & transmission with the steering arms in place...
  18. JConstable

Interested in a reproduction of the early series tool roll?

+1 I'll join up-front crowd - happy to chip in a couple of bucks for all your hard work in taking point on this project. John
  19. JConstable

Series 5 Dash

Steve, I don't know if I used the "correct" vinyl on my dash, but I went to a local car upholstery place and bought some thing that looked similar. I don't know if you want to know how I approached the problem, but my sequence was.... I cleaned the base dash, scuffed it with coarse...
  20. JConstable

bunch of california parts for sale

Flatusman, Is the tonneau for a series 5 by any chance? and if so what are you asking price wise? Thanks John