• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. howehap

Alpine spotted in Iceland

My daughter is on a tour of Iceland. She just sent me a photo of an Alpine she spotted in Reykjavik Iceland
  2. howehap

Possible Group Buy from Alpine Innovations

I just bumped into this manifold thread, I usually don't look parts for sale so I won't get tempted. We might get additional interest if we mentioned it under "modified Alpine" too. -Bob
  3. howehap

See anything wrong with the clutch?

So thanks to everyone for the help. Now that I have my friend's Alpine up and running, I am going to start on my Autumn Gold Series III -Bob
  4. howehap

The series V is back together. It is now easier to engage 1st, reverse still grinds a little when engaged directly from neutual . I tried Mike's method of engaging 1st gear and then quickly going into reverse. It works like a charm! So bottom line, installing the "dowel bolt" allowed the...
  5. howehap

It's a Series V and I believe everything is matching Series V parts. I don't know of any mismatched part. I hope to have everything back together tomorrow and I will report back. -Bob
  6. howehap

I just found one issue that may make a difference. I have the .4325" dowel pin on one side of the bellhousing connection. On the other side of the bellhousing was a .375" bolt instead of a ".4325 inch dowel bolt" that would is needed to accurately line up the transmission bellhousing to engine...
  7. howehap

Tim, Thank you for the interesting info on pressure plates. The original thread started with the series V that I am working on, and later another person started to discuss his clutch problem with a early series Alpine that most likely does have a "over center" problem. I feel confident that I...
  8. howehap

I just carefully checked all 4 springs in the clutch disc. They are all good. There is red rust dust on one of the springs in the photo. The other springs still have some rust dust too, but much of it was wiped or blown off. I removed a burr on one one of the throwout bearing mounting pins and...
  9. howehap

Pressure plate housing mounting face is flat within .003". Clutch disc friction surface is flat within .005". So nothing seems to be warped.
  10. howehap

Mike, I will give it a try when I get the car back together, thanks -Bob
  11. howehap

I believe I tried going into 1st before reverse and still had grinding
  12. howehap

My pilot bearing is a needle roller, not a brass bushing like yours. The black stuff is grease that was used to lub the needle bearing. The photo is misleading, the face of carbon throwout bearing is flat, no cone shape. There is one small edge on the ID where the carbon overhangs the ID of...
  13. howehap

Visual inspection shows that the fulcrum rings on each side of the diaphragm spring are positioned correctly inside the clutch cover.
  14. howehap

Pilot bearing to transmission shaft has nice close fit (measured with a .625"dia bushing - same as tranny shaft). Fork pivot is not worn. Throw out bearing pins are tight in the fork, takes a little force to move, I don't see any lub on these pins. When clutch pedal is depressed to floor, face...
  15. howehap

No return spring used. I talked with Rick McLeod and he said a Series V had 5/8" dia m/c , and Alpine I-III had 3/4". I do get .5" of movement at lever arm. I will check the pilot bearing, the needle bearing looks good, but I will measure id.
  16. howehap

I started a new thread. The clutch still drags when disengaged, so it is difficult to get into first and grinds when going into reverse with engine running. It has .5" of movement at the clutch slave cylinder. Master is 5/8 diam, slave is 1" diam and it is mounted on the backside of bellhousing...
  17. howehap

Clutch not completely releasing - master and slave cylinder sizes?

Sorry there are 2 different cars mixed in this thread, the one I am working on is a series 5 that has .5" of movement at the clutch slave cylinder. Master is 5/8 diam, slave is 1" diam and it is mounted on the backside of bellhousing, bleeder is up, did all the usually beeder methods. Pluged...
  18. howehap

Clutch not completely releasing - master and slave cylinder sizes?

Still trying to figure out why the clutch still doesn't release completely (enough drag so it grinds going into reverse and hard to get into 1st with engine running). This is a continuation of investigation. Slave cylinder piston is flush with back of housing, clutch rod is 4" long from end to...
  19. howehap

Over Heating

Results of science experiment 2004 GMC 4.8 L V8. Temp gage ~200F Radiator inlet hose and inlet header ~170F Radiator outlet hose and outlet header ~140F fins on radiator~155F (ac condenser is in front of radiator, so I had to turn off engine and quickly shoot between fan blades on backside of...
  20. howehap

Over Heating

Bill, This makes sense to me from physics / heat transfer . Before I do it I'm going to try the measure the fin temp and header temp on my truck for comparision. I'm not sure what temperature the gun is picking up when I point it at the fins. Is the gun picking up fins, tubes, openings in...