• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. Hotrodhillman

Hotrod Hillman: need aluminum radiator

Hi, My friend Finn and I are about to install the 1725 motor and new transmission with overdrive in the 1961 Hillman Minx. Finn has a Series 3 with a robust aluminum radiator that will fit in my car with minor modifications. Does anyone know where I can get an aluminum radiator like his? The...
  2. Hotrodhillman

Purpose of holes in block?

Thank you for the detailed response. Are they unobtanium?
  3. Hotrodhillman

Purpose of holes in block?

The machinist has a question. What is the purpose of the two large holes in the 1725 block behind the pushrods? Should they be be plugged? Thanks, John
  4. Hotrodhillman

Flywheel balancing

I put a new starter ring gear on the flywheel of the 1275 A Series BMC engine I put in my Traveller. It cooled before I got it tight. There was perhaps a 0.025 inch gap around 1/3 of the circle. It works fine.
  5. Hotrodhillman

SV Sway Bar

Hi Mike, You have a cool looking car. I love those early Alpine fins. I think I will leave the 5/8” bar alone for now. It appears undamaged and the bushings are tight. A few years ago I put front and rear anti-sway bars on a Nash Metropolitan. This improved the handling from dangerous to...
  6. Hotrodhillman

SV Sway Bar

Do you have a 3/4 or 7/8 inch diameter? One which would fit a S1 Alpine? That might fit my 1960 Hillman Minx.
  7. Hotrodhillman

Engine paint color

Hi, Anyone know the S1 or Hillman minx 1492 paint color 8n modern paint?
  8. Hotrodhillman

Need timing chain tensioner clip

Does the “clip” provide the function of the flat washer and cotter pin?
  9. Hotrodhillman

Need timing chain tensioner clip

I'm building a 1725cc engine for my Hillman. Sunbeam specialties has some of the components for the timing chain tensioner. They do not stock the "clip." They sent me the rubber piece, the blade, which is a rectangular piece of steel in a curve with a feral at the end that it looks like it slips...
  10. Hotrodhillman

Minxrod anti-roll

Thank you for your feedback. I really did not want to weld on the crossmember. I will ask SS about the front bars. What do you think about a rear anti-roll bar?
  11. Hotrodhillman

Minxrod brakes

What components would I have to replace to have the Alpine disc brakes?
  12. Hotrodhillman

Minxrod anti-roll

Minxrod has a lot of body roll and understeer. It has an original 5/8” roll bar that is not secured at the frame. I improved my Nash Metropolitan from unacceptable to inadequate with front and rear anti-roll bars. I had much better results on my Morris Minor. I am thinking of fabricating mounts...
  13. Hotrodhillman

Minxrod brakes

Minxrod (1961 Hillman Minx) has relatively tight original suspension and steering. I am a cautious driver and generally follow the speed limit. Brakes are okay in town, but, in a hard stop from 65mph they FADE! I think the brakes have original shoes and drums and show no evidence of being...
  14. Hotrodhillman

Transmission secured, exhaust progress

Thank you. I have a Magnaflow on my Jeep 4.0 liter straight 6. I love the sound and the performance. I was considering 1.5 inch diameter muffler and tailpipe. It is hard to find sports mufflers in that size. I will give it some thought.
  15. Hotrodhillman

Sports muffler? What is it called? Sunbeam Specialties?
  16. Hotrodhillman

The Minxrod: Transmission with overdrive is arranged as is cast exhaust manifold and Falcon Header pipe thanks to members. I want to optimize performance while listening to a rumble at idle.I would like to hear a little more baritone than tenor below 3,000 RPM. I want volume that leans “loud,”...
  17. Hotrodhillman

Need full synchro with OD rebuilt transmission

Yes, we are communicating. Thank you.