• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. BritsUpNorth

Starting Issue: No spark at all

Hello again, So we installed the new PowerSpark distributor today, and the car started right up! Problem solved. The project can move forward. My thanks to everyone who posted in this thread. Best, Ed
  2. BritsUpNorth

No, I haven't. However, the Pertronix was installed by the PO - I have no idea how old it is, no receipts, etc. Besides, the new distributor was only slightly more expensive than a new Pertronix unit. Maybe I should have looked into it, but I figured that throwing a bit of money at the...
  3. BritsUpNorth

Hello all, I have an interim update. I conferred with my mechanic friend and we figure that the problem lies either with the Pertronix unit or the pick up coil in the distributor. I've taken the liberty of ordering a new dizzy w/ electronic ignition from the UK and am currently awaiting it's...
  4. BritsUpNorth

Went through the ignition system again today with a test light and voltmeter. Once again there is power up to the ignition coil (new out of the box) and that's it. No spark at the plugs. My suspicion is that the distributor might have given up the ghost. I'm not familiar with distributors...
  5. BritsUpNorth

Hello, The rotor arm is the uprated red type, but may indeed be at fault. I should have an extra one lying around . . . Also, I've got a Pertronix ignition system installed. Best, Ed
  6. BritsUpNorth

Hello, The car is a 1966 SV. The tach was sitting at 2000rpm at idle and then dropping to zero when throttle was applied. And, I corrected my typos above to prevent further confusion. Best, Ed
  7. BritsUpNorth

Hello again, To answer the questions posed: The wiring harness is aftermarket, and is still a work in progress behind the dash. "With power" does indeed mean in the run position. Didn't check the voltage while cranking . . . D'oh! Best, Ed
  8. BritsUpNorth

Hello, Ran into a weird issue this afternoon while working on my Alpine. The car is a bit of a basket case and I'm currently sorting out the electrical system - today's project: the tachometer. I got the tach working, albeit is works backwards . . . but that is another issue I'll have to deal...
  9. BritsUpNorth

SV Wiring Diagram?

Thanks for the quick response. I guess my Google-fu isn't as good as it used to be. Best, Ed
  10. BritsUpNorth

SV Wiring Diagram?

Hello all, I'm just getting ready to put a new wiring harness into my SV and I'm having one hell of a time tracking down a wiring diagram. Does anyone have one they can direct me to/ send me? Thanks in advance, Ed
  11. BritsUpNorth

Replacement Seat Recommendations

The seats in the TR6 are from a first generation Miata, so at least I'm in familiar territory. I also know that the later generations of seats won't fit in the Triumph, so if you managed to cram them into your Alpine I've got a bit more room to work with than I did with the previous...
  12. BritsUpNorth

Switching from an ammeter to a voltmeter

Thanks for the speedy reply, Barry. As far as the questions go: My Alpine is indeed a SV with negative ground. The wiring harness is a Rebel unit purchased from Steve Shuttleton (Sunalp). The voltmeter will probably be a re-purposed negative ground Triumph TR6 (Smiths) gauge. Best, Ed
  13. BritsUpNorth

Replacement Seat Recommendations

Hello all, One of the (many) tasks I need to perform in order to get my '66 Alpine on the road is to get a functioning set of seats installed. My originals are pretty beat up, and I find them to be real back-breakers - so I'm looking to replace rather than restore them. I've heard some people...
  14. BritsUpNorth

Switching from an ammeter to a voltmeter

Hello all, I'm getting ready to install a new wiring harness in my '66 Alpine, and one of the improvements I'd like to make is to switch out the ammeter for a voltmeter. The only problem is that electrical work isn't my strongest suit. My question is whether this job is just a simple...
  15. BritsUpNorth

Replacement Wiring Harness

Hello all, I'm looking to replace the wiring harness in my '66 SV. I'm thinking of picking one from Advance Auto Wire as I'm also planning on re-wiring my TR6 and AAW is highly recommended in Triumph circles. Does anyone here have any experience with the AAW harness for the Alpine? Also, I'd...
  16. BritsUpNorth

Need a Master Brake Cylinder Spacer

I'm still looking for a spacer. Drop me a line if you've got an extra. Thanks, Ed
  17. BritsUpNorth

EDITED: The deal I'd arranged for fell through. Still looking for a spacer.
  18. BritsUpNorth

Master Brake Cylinder Spacer?

Those pics are just fine. Thanks again. I'm hoping that I can buy/beg/steal an extra unit from someone here, but knowing that the spacer is 1/2" deep I think I can fudge the other dimensions if I have to resort to making one. I appreciate the help. Ed
  19. BritsUpNorth

Master Brake Cylinder Spacer?

PLEASE!!!! Thanks, Ed
  20. BritsUpNorth

Subject pretty much says it all - I need a spacer if someone has an extra. Let me know if you have one and what you'd want for it. Thanks. Ed