• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. spmdr

Oil Pressure Relief Valve Mods

This could go in the Stock world.... but NEEDS to be done to a Race Engine. In the past, there has been quite a bit of discussion about the problems with the Alpine engine Oil Pressure Relief Valve. Here is one thread...
  2. spmdr

Harland Sharp Roller Rocker Arms

There are other threads dealing with roller rockers, Here is one: https://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?threads/roller-rockers-for-alpine-engines-not-v6.25062/ But I decided to start a new thread about the Harland Sharp rockers. The HS rockers for an Alpine are listed available from...
  3. spmdr

Dyno Day March 16th, Upland, CA

The Tiger Club, CAT, is having a Chassis Dyno Day March 16th, 2024, and needs a minimum number of cars. I'm planning to run the Weekend Racer Alpine and see how the 45 DCOEs compare to the 40s. If you are interested in running your car, contact me. DW From the CAT Forum: DYNO DAY and CAT...
  4. spmdr

2024 Grand National Roadster Show

Steve Alcala submitted an entry for his 2023 Lord Rootes winning Tiger and was accepted. He battled the Rain but it was worth the effort. He Won his class! I went with him Thursday to load in. There is a lot on the web to get a feel for the event.
  5. spmdr

A-Arm Bushing FAILURE

Back in 2016 I came across a Tiger that NEEDED the front suspension rebuilt. The A-Arm bushings were Crumbling away! Some of the bushings had NO remains of the material between the inner and out steel. What material I did find appeared to be Blue/Purple Polyurethane. I wrote it off as a...
  6. spmdr

Two Alpines in Las Vegas

I'm not sure where best to post this. I have a lead on two Alpines in Las Vegas. Very few details at this point. One looks like a S4-5 the other S1-2 I'm looking for someone in the area interested in checking them out. They are a bit geographically challenging for me. Let me know if you...
  7. spmdr

CAT annual Swap meet and meeting, Nov 11 Paramount, CA

From the CAT Forum: "Saturday November 11th, 2023. Annual Swap Meet and Election Meeting at member Chris Sarris’s shop at Sarris Interiors 8225 Alondra Blvd. Paramount, CA 90723. 8am to 1pm with the election and club meeting at 11am. Cross street Alondra and Virginia. Please make sure your...
  8. spmdr

S III Alpine Drag Racer, in process

I stopped by Tom Duncan's Alpine project recently. A SIII with a Small Block Ford, currently a C4 and a 9" 4 link rear. Sporting Hilborn mechanical fuel injection, a MG Midget Rack and Pinion, and a pair of 15" x 12" rear wheels, it should get down the track smartly. DW...
  9. spmdr

1592 High Capacity Oil Pan

I'm a big believer in more oil capacity in wet sump engines for High RPM use. I have charged Steve Alcala with the task of making a custom oil pan. The outside is done. The inside is a work in process, multiple Tricks and TOP secret mods planned! DW
  10. spmdr

Single 2 Barrel down draft Manifold options

I picked up a new China Repo Weber 38/38 carb and started to look at manifolds. I have 2 different OEM manifolds. and the newer Alpine Innovations part is looking good. But what are the performance differences, really? Here are the two OEM manifolds: The straight runner manifold has...
  11. spmdr

Pertronix I and II ...oh my

Back in the 1990s I pick up a Sun 504 Distributor Machine, mostly to deal with Ford V8 Distributors. But, of course, I did run a few Alpine distributors. Compared to the Ford units, the Alpine parts were down right impressive! I could run an Alpine Dist up to the RPM limit of the 504 with...
  12. spmdr

Jose V6 engine Kit

I ran into a Sunbeam guy at the Race Track who has a Jose V6 Alpine Kit With a used engine that he drove/tested in the car, '78 Mustang. $1500 for Kit and engine, no Trans. PM me DW
  13. spmdr

Future BaT, Sebring Alpine

Seen in the Grapevine.... ( I don't have a FB account...) Steve Alcala has signed up to sell the Sebring Alpine on BaT. Start saving your Lunch Money. DW
  14. spmdr

CAT Auto-X, Big Bear, CA May 20 2023

The Tiger club CAT is planning an Auto-X at Big Bear Airport May 20 2023. The event is not open to the public but we can have some Guests. PM me for info. DW
  15. spmdr

Lightweight Flywheels, NOT just for Race cars anymore.

Back in the '90s, I worked on several Alpines. One had a Weber 38/38 DGAS, it was FAR and away the Zippiest Alpine I had ever driven! For the longest time I attributed the performance to the Carb. However, recently, I think the Most likely scenario is that Zippy Alpine had a LIGHT Weight...
  16. spmdr

Automotive Testing Meters

I did a quick check to see if there are any threads about auto electric testing meters and didn't see anything. I have been using an Actron CP7677 Digital meter for years. For the last few years, the Function select knob detent has been flaky. Time for a new meter. Before I go shopping...
  17. spmdr

A NOS Rootes Parts Collection

I was going through old pictures and thought I would share some pics of John's parts collection. ...Or as John calls it, his MUSEUM. DW
  18. spmdr

1954 Sunbeam in pick your part

FYI This is just rumor, I have not seen it. NOT an original car, Front damage YMMV DW Here is the Pick Your Part info. I was mistaken it is a 1954 sunbeam alpine section: American Row: 1 space: 4 LKQ Pick Your Part - Help Yourself 1232 Blinn Ave. Wilmingtom, Ca. 90744 (800)962-2277...
  19. spmdr

Sunbeams on the Salt

I was wondering about how the 2022 Bonneville Speed Week went And I found this: But the answer is this: And after that, I found THIS: And guess what is next to the Tiger?: Old Bert! How many degrees of separation? DW
  20. spmdr

Weber 40 DCOE mods for more flow

This thread could be in a different place, I assume this is the best place. I'm late to this world of Alpines with Side drafts, but I'm trying to catch up. I'm fast coming to the conclusion 40s are too small for a serious Racing Alpine, But a LOT of Alpiners have them, as do I. This thread...