• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. Tim R

Sunbeam Alpine: Making 'Special' Tools

This video shows how I make various rough and ready tools that will do the job of the 'Special' Churchill tools that were originally used by Rootes. Specifically this video shows me make an alternative to the Churchill RG225. This tool lets you tighten up the cylinder head bolts on a Rootes...
  2. Tim R

Alpine Innovations Weber Carb Conversion

We have the AI conversion on two of our Alpines. I cannot fault the set up, it is better in every way and is so much more economical that it pays for itself amazingly quickly. Tim R
  3. Tim R

Need to clutch when activating overdrive?

Personally I feel that you are showing more mechanical sympathy if you depress the clutch a fraction. It may not be strictly necessary but it makes the drive smoother. Tim R
  4. Tim R

Distributor and drive dog

The oil pump is different for the Series I,Ii,III compared to the Series IV. The pump is longer (presumably because of the cable rev counter drive). I recently fitted a Series II pump into a Series iV because I could not get a Series IV pump anywhere. To fit it I used an old Series II...
  5. Tim R

Sunbeam Alpine: The REAL story of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang from the U.K. National 2023

Mike, It is an amazing story isn't it. When he told it at the U.K. National he was a big hit and people were approaching him about it all weekend, asking questions and swapping their own experiences. Tim R
  6. Tim R

Sunbeam Alpine: The REAL story of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang from the U.K. National 2023

Not a 'How to' video, this was recorded at the 2023 U.K. Sunbeam Alpine National in Aylesford where Billy Hollis told the incredible story of the REAL Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang, a story that has involved him for his entire life. Over the space of an hour this story draws you in to a tale of...
  7. Tim R

Sunbeam Alpine: Changing the Gearbox and Overdrive Oil

Kevin, When we get ready to launch I'll look at the possibility of doing that. It seems to make sense and I can't see a reason for not doing that. One of the problems with YouTube is that you are not able to shuffle videos around to change the order and are held in a straight jacket with regard...
  8. Tim R

John 'The Box' Roseby is our guru on all things gearbox related. He recommends not touching the drain in the overdrive. People routinely damage the plug and you only release small additional amount of oil. Just use the main gearbox drain plug. The original gearbox videos did not have audio on...
  9. Tim R

We all have to change our gearbox oils but do you do it correctly? This video details the Rootes recommended process.
  10. Tim R

Wiper motor 2 speed wiring

This video will help you with wiring etc.
  11. Tim R

Sunbeam Alpine: Owners helping each other

This U.K. video on The Sunbeam Alpine Channel might be of interest and bring back some memories from both the 2022 and the 2023 Nationals! It features various instances of Sunbeam Alpine owners helping each other and contains some useful tips. For example do you know how you can replace a...
  12. Tim R

Sunbeam Alpine & Tiger: Rebuilding and re-fitting door handles and locks.

Somewhere on the Internet there is a document detailing how to change the various pins so that one single key will operate all of the different locks on an Alpine (or Tiger). I have searched for it as I thought that it might help you, but I can't find it. Tim R
  13. Tim R

Steering gearbox cracked

Dan, No the steering box in the photos is of an uprated box that is being sold for Alfas in Europe. I have tried to get a photo of Peter's new support bracket but I can't find one. Tim R
  14. Tim R

Steering gearbox cracked

James, The steering boxes on a n Alpine are only just up to the job. If people turn the wheel when the car is stationary it is quite easy to crack the box. For a while people were trying to fit various kinds of power assistance to Alpines but a lot of boxes cracked as a result. Peter Pescud in...
  15. Tim R

1725 Camshaft Question

The car is engaging all three gears in the auto box correctly and has been throughout. I don't claim to know HOW the revs to mph are different but they certainly are. The only thing that has changed is the camshaft but the engine is turning less revs to deliver a higher speed, it is like a...
  16. Tim R

1725 Camshaft Question

I took the car out for it's first proper run since fitting a brand new 1592cc camshaft and followers today. Everything else such as valves, rings etc is unchanged I did everything from the bottom of the engine and didn't disturb the top. Compression is up across the board. All cylinders hit...
  17. Tim R

1725 Camshaft Question

No, the cam that was in the car really was that screwed up!!!! So far I have only driven the car a few hundred yards on the new standard 1592cc cam but it is clearly so much better. I am looking forward to giving it a proper go to on the road as soon as we get some decent weather. Tim R
  18. Tim R

1965 late Series IV Oddities with Windshield Frame and Body

I've not seen a 5 stud version before. Our Series IV and both Series Vs all have 7 studs. Tim R
  19. Tim R

Trouble getting the windshield frame to sit properly

The adjusting nuts fit in the holes and just the thinnest lip protrudes upwards. The dash pads are sometimes made too thick and you need to remove some of the foam from the backing but do it very carefully and only remove what you need to. Tim R
  20. Tim R

1725 Camshaft Question

Bernd, Just for clarity the camshaft from the boat engine has never been run in a car, it came with other parts from a boat engine. The camshaft in the car was supposed to be a 1592 that had been re-profiled to 1725 spec. It hadn't been out was clearly profiled incorrectly and has caused me the...