• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. J

Tunnel Modifications

Series V 2.8 liter V6 with T5 and Dan R's install parts. I did the tunnel widening & have engine & transmission temporarily installed. Ready to start rebuilding the tunnel and could use some advice from the experienced. Someone on the forum a while ago recommended replacing the shifter so I...
  2. J

wire wheels

Recent posts on this forum about wire wheels caused me to reminisce. As a 21 year yr old 3rd yr mech. engineering student in northern NY state in 1965 I lucked onto a true barn find (but didn't know the term back then) an almost rust free 1959 Austin Healey 100-6 for something like $250. It ran...
  3. J

Wheel Cylinder Spring

Just rebuilt & installed original brake wheel cylinder on Series V (self adjusting) brakes on left side following WSM then oops noticed a spring sitting on the bench. It's not shown in WSM or SS catalog Looking at the right side parts not installed yet it looks like the only place it could go...
  4. J

Series V Brake Bleeding

I'm in the midst of total brake rebuild including new lines on my Series V. Was surprised that the factory did not put a bleed screw on right rear wheel cylinder. I think they had it on earlier series cars. I'm thinking of adding a tee near the differential and putting a line to each cylinder...
  5. J

Wiper Motor

My Series V windshield wipers hadn't been powered for over 40 years & when I put the switch on there was no movement. Turns out it was a combination of dirty connections and mechanism stuck from inactivity. Got them running ok but sounds like noisy gears so I want to lube them but hate to take...
  6. J

Brake Lines

I've made inverted flares with my inverted flaring tool but not for the Alpine yet. Will inverted flare work okay on new 3/16 tubing to be used with original fittings connected to original wheel cylinders & calipers? I'm confused about difference between inverted flare and bubble flare. I like...
  7. J

Brake Drums

Are Alpine Series V and Tiger brake drums the same or interchangeable? Sunbeam Specialties lists different part numbers for SV and Tiger shoes but I don't know about the drums.
  8. J

Pulleys for 2.8 V6

Another question setting up the V6, I have pulleys I bought from a member. The fan pulley is 5 inch diameter and fits water pump fine but the 5 ⅝ inch pulley for the harmonic damper has correct 1 5/16 ID but a bolt hole circle of 2 inches. The harmonic damper on the ’86 has a 2 ⅝ bolt circle...
  9. J

Timing Cover Changeout for 2.8 V6

Setting up the 2.8 V6, I took the timing cover off the ’86 engine and am ready to install the old style cover. There is a thin plate between the timing cover and the block. I don’t plan to take it off because it appears to be very well sealed against the block with a good gasket. I don’t...
  10. J

V6 Coolant Connections

For mid '80s 2.8 V6 looking for diagram or description where to connect hoses and put the thermostat. Have ‘70s timing cover & water pump and know I’ll need to modify front lower housing 84861. I assume I’ll need lower rear housing 84878 & upper housing 84862 to replace the one that came...
  11. J

V6 Parts on ebay

Just a "heads up". There are some V6 parts on eBay right now, including timing cover and oil pan. Bids closing in 3 days.
  12. J

2.8 Cooling System Question

I've been reading many of the old posts and learned a lot so far about the correct cooling setup. I now have the correct timing cover and plan to get and modify a lower connector (Advance 84861) so that it will fit and still support the bypass and heater hoses. My Aerostar engine is basically...
  13. J

V6 Carburetor

I'm new to the forum. It's been a great source of info. I've been picking up parts for a 2.8 V6 conversion over the past few years but didn't have the time to work on the car until now that I'm retired. I have a 2.8 from an '86 Aerostar that was supposedly rebuilt. I'm planning to get it running...