• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tire Size Conversion

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have noticed that not all 195 width tires appear to be the same width. A few days ago I ran across this site:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/45_conversionchart.html

It may explain why Eric says 205's are perfect and I say they are too wide. It seems not all tire sizes are equal, although I much admit I do not understand everything that does into equivalent tire size. Maybe someone can explain.

It might be helpful it someone could copy and post this chart instead of relying on the link.

Bill

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
It's dead-easy to convert it to an Excel chart. Just copy the chart and paste it into Excel... works perfectly. I have it all done if you need it - just PM me.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Chuck, I was just want something that would be on the board even if they changed their url.

Here is some data I got from an obsolete Cooper Tire pamphlet. These are all Cooper tires, but different series of tires.

P205/60R13 Dia 22.75 - Section width 7.86 - Tread width 6.50
165R13 Dia 23.33 - Section width 6.45 - Tread width 4.70
P165/80R13 Dia 23.3 - Section width 6.45 - Tread width 4.10
P165/80R13 Dia 23.5 - Section width 6.45 - Tread width 4.50
165/70R13 Dia 22.14 - -Section width 6.54 - Tread width 4.90

Here is a 14" tire. A 205 width, but the tread is only .2" wider than the 165/70 above and 1.4" NARROWER than the P205/60 R13!
P205/75R14 Dia 25.95 - Section width 7.95 - Tread width 5.10

The idea is to show how different people could have widely differing opinions on tire size as tires are not all the same, even from the same manufacturer.

Bill