• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Steering wheel/installation kit for Sunbeam

Street 'Beam 61

Donation Time
I'm looking for a good inexpensive steering wheel/installation kit that can fit on my 1963 Sunbeam Alpine. I like Grant's wheels, but they dont have a sunbeam install kit. I'm not having much luck with the local auto parts stores either.

By the way, I have already looked at Moto Lita and lets face it, those are way too expensive :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
For what it's worth, my experience is that there are no inexpensive steering wheel installations. The least expensive way seems to be to use an original steering wheel assembly.

Rick Guest
1960 Series I
1967 Series V

lemansvk

Donation Time
I'm assuming you are trying to replace the existing steering wheel with something else - more modern perhaps? Anyway, for what it's worth the steering wheels from most 1980's Mazdas have the same spline pattern as Rootes small cars cars. I know someone who has fitted a Series 1 Mazda Rx7 wheel to a Hillman Husky, I have a Series 4 RX7 wheel on my Hillman Hunter and someone else I know has fitted a 1980's 626/Capella wheel to a Hunter.

Hope this helps,

Vic

Street 'Beam 61

Donation Time
The reason I'm getting a new one because the origional is pretty battered, I dont have pics.

So vic, just to make sure I got it right.....you're saying that a SI Rx7 has the same spline pattern as my Alpine? Which would mean that I could use a Grant installation kit for an '80 rx7? That would be great if I could :D

lemansvk

Donation Time
OK, I'll tell you what I know. The subject of steering wheel interchangeability has come up a number of times in the Hillman cars Yahoogroup. On one of these occasions it was suggested that a Series 1 RX7 steering wheel would fit, and one of the members happened to have an RX7 and a Husky - he tried it and reported that the wheel fitted fine. Soon after that I acquired a 69 Hillman Hunter (Sunbeam Arrow in the USA) which had a cracked wheel. I bought a second hand Series 4 RX7 wheel from EvilBay and it fitted fine.

I'm assuming the Husky's and Alpines have the same spline pattern - can't see why they wouldn't - after all the Alpine is a Husky Sports Convertible :D. So, yes - an installation kit for an RX7 should work on the Alpine. You would of course have to sort out the horn arrangements and the shroud/cowl

Cheers, Vic

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Think the real problem is if the column is adjustable or not. None of those applications have an adjustable column, IIRC.

Jim E

Donation Time
Even with a hub kit for the Alpine I had to modify the colum adjuster, saw the end off and then weld washer halves to a nut to take the place of the stock adjuster piece. At least as I recall that is what was required on my S3 to get it to fit under the horn button.

Street 'Beam 61

Donation Time
Even with a hub kit for the Alpine I had to modify the colum adjuster, saw the end off and then weld washer halves to a nut to take the place of the stock adjuster piece. At least as I recall that is what was required on my S3 to get it to fit under the horn button.

My steering column is (thankfully) non adjustable.

OK, I'll tell you what I know. The subject of steering wheel interchangeability has come up a number of times in the Hillman cars Yahoogroup. On one of these occasions it was suggested that a Series 1 RX7 steering wheel would fit, and one of the members happened to have an RX7 and a Husky - he tried it and reported that the wheel fitted fine. Soon after that I acquired a 69 Hillman Hunter (Sunbeam Arrow in the USA) which had a cracked wheel. I bought a second hand Series 4 RX7 wheel from EvilBay and it fitted fine.

I'm assuming the Husky's and Alpines have the same spline pattern - can't see why they wouldn't - after all the Alpine is a Husky Sports Convertible :D. So, yes - an installation kit for an RX7 should work on the Alpine. You would of course have to sort out the horn arrangements and the shroud/cowl

Cheers, Vic

I like your name for ebay, I usually call it fleabay...I always had horrid luck buying/selling there:rolleyes:

Thats really awesome! Thanks for the info. Not to be an inconveniance, but just to double check and make sure....do you know the spline pattern of your Hillman? The Alpine has a 36 spline and the shaft is 1/2 inch diameter

Street 'Beam 61

Donation Time
I just bought a Grant steering wheel with the RX7 install kit.

The early mazda RX7 install kit works for the Alpine.

I guess we can make this official?

Well, I'm glad to confirm that the Grant install kit number 3597 does fit the Alpine steering shaft. (NOTE: mine is non-tilt column, I do not know about tilt column Alpines.)

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hey Street,

Just so you know, the Alpine adjustable columns are not "tilt" columns. They slide in and out about 3 inches. You rotate the knob in the middle counterclockwise and the wheel can then slide in or out. I don't know when the adjustable columns were introduced in Alpines, but I know SIV and SV have them.

Tom

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hey Street,

Just so you know, the Alpine adjustable columns are not "tilt" columns. They slide in and out about 3 inches. You rotate the knob in the middle counterclockwise and the wheel can then slide in or out. I don't know when the adjustable columns were introduced in Alpines, but I know SIV and SV have them.

Tom

Series 3 was the first of the alpines with the new improved interior.

adjustable column
adjustable microcell seats
and other detail interior changes.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I have a Mountney steering wheel on my Alpine which I purchased off Ebay. Mountney are a UK brand which was no where near the price of a Mota Lita or similar. The problem is that we don't have too many options when it comes to steering wheels. You could also try some of the other UK classic cars of the same era.

Regards, Robin.

Street 'Beam 61

Donation Time
Well I finally got around to installing the wheel today, fits very nice with the RX7 install kit!

I know, the GT horn button is cheapy looking, I will replace it.
DSCN3209.jpg

DSCN3208.jpg

The electric ring that the horn operates on is a different size on the RX7 install kit, so the horn doesnt work. I will find a way to get it to work

64beam

Donation Time
Well I finally got around to installing the wheel today, fits very nice with the RX7 install kit!

I know, the GT horn button is cheapy looking, I will replace it.
DSCN3209.jpg

DSCN3208.jpg

The electric ring that the horn operates on is a different size on the RX7 install kit, so the horn doesnt work. I will find a way to get it to work

Hi,

Looks great. It's handy to know what other cars had the same spline. Did you have any issues fitting the Mazda boss to the Rootes spline? Did you have to make up any spacers, etc. What year RX-7 boss did you use?

Thanks, Robin.

Street 'Beam 61

Donation Time
Hi,

Looks great. It's handy to know what other cars had the same spline. Did you have any issues fitting the Mazda boss to the Rootes spline? Did you have to make up any spacers, etc. What year RX-7 boss did you use?

Thanks, Robin.

The install kit is part number 3597 for 1987 Mazda RX7