• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Battery Box Cover "rubber"

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
Does someone have the correct application for the rubber that connects to the battery box lid. I have a Series 3 in restoration and all I have left was 4 small rubber plugs in the four holes. I have heard this was for a brace to keep the battery from moving around. Does someone have an original rubber brace that they can share a picture with the group?

Cheers,

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
It must have been one of the first pieces on these cars to rot. I have never seen one and there is not one in the parts manual. The cover is there but it says nothing about the rubber piece. I am restoring a Series 3 that was very original but it only had fragments of rubber plugs in the four holes. I guess battery corrosion just ate these things up.

Would love to see a picture of one!
Cheers,

Limey

Donation Time
I don't know if this is what you are asking about. I have 4 various lids Series I-III and have seen no trace of any thing attached to the underside of the lid except as shown in the pics below.

View attachment 1530
The pic above is Series I&II parts book. The oblong cage is for a ''57amp/hour'' battery and the 'C' shaped bracket is for a ''38 amp/hour'' battery. I do not know if you needed both if you were using the smaller battery

View attachment 1531
This pic is of the relevant page for series IIIs. the 'C' shaped bracket has been replaced by 2 small brackets that appear to fit to the underside of the lid and also each 'leg' has item 222 'buffer' which I guess are just rubber blocks or strips.

View attachment 1532
The above pic is of a restored cage but alas I don't have any trace of the rubbers. PM me if anybody has some for sale;)

View attachment 1533 View attachment 1535
This is a pic of a lid that appears to have something similar these small SIII brackets though they look different from those illustrated. I also have a lid that is quite plain.

Hope this helps

Limey (Oliver)

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Mmmm, very interesting and confusing!!

If you use the parts book for reference, (thanks Oliver), it seems the series I and II use the "cradle", which wedges between the sides of the battery and the battery box and is held down by the lid.

The series III also used the cradle, but the lid had four holes in it to attach the z shaped brackets which weren't used until the series IV. Are these the holes that Todd is referring to that have the remains of rubber grommets filling them?

My series IV, (B9407893GTRRO), has the brackets fitted to the underside of the lid with speed clips and self tapping screws. The section of bracket that bears against the top of the battery has the rubber section that John has posted glued to it to act as a cushion. I seem to remember my series V used the same system. Hope that helps!

Cheers, Lance.

John Boggis

Donation Time
Hi John. Any pics of this in situ?

As you can see I have removed the rear seat cushion which shows the battery cover on my series 1V GT.

I have removed the inside brackets (no screws in the four holes) because I have put in a larger battery... the smaller factory spec one just would not hold it's charge.

Obviously, I have kept the brackets with the rubber on and will take a picture when i go through my parts and find them.

Limey

Donation Time
Obviously, I have kept the brackets with the rubber on and will take a picture when i go through my parts and find them.

Thanks John.

But now your car is 'modded' as far as I am concerned and I'll have to grass you to the concours judges:D