• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Toyota Corolla 1600 twin cam conversion

Sunbeam Canada

Donation Time
Hey Guys,

I just acquired a Toyota Corolla 1600 Twin Cam motor (4A-GE) and transmission for my Alpine IV-GT.

I realize that there are some modifications required to make it fit inside the Alpine. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who had done this conversion.

64beam

Donation Time
Hey Guys,

I just acquired a Toyota Corolla 1600 Twin Cam motor (4A-GE) and transmission for my Alpine IV-GT.

I realize that there are some modifications required to make it fit inside the Alpine. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who had done this conversion.

Hi Ohan,

Awesome little engine :cool: . I had one in a Corolla GTi that I once owned...100kw and love to rev. I have not done any conversions, but I have seen a Toyota conversion first hand and very very nice. I will try to post a couple of pictures for you. I remember that due to the weight, the owner was still to drop the front end due to the difference in weight. That particular engine was a 20 valve 130kw unit.

Regards, Robin.

serIIalpine

Donation Time
Which 4AGE did you get? Early 16valve or later silver or black top 20 valve?
Is the Tranny the T50?

I have been looking into this engine swap for some time and I do believe it is Ideal.

The 4A-GE engine is the base engine used in the formula atlantic series and is VERY tunable. They are capable of 200 plus HP without a turbo.

I like the "Black Top" 20 valve version as it uses a MAP sensor instead of an air flow meter so the intake side is nice and compact.

All I'm waiting for is the convergence of time and money and one will be going it my series II.

There's lots of good tuning info here: http://www.billzilla.org/4agmods.htm

Keep me posted on your progress and and post lots of pix.

Good luck

Eric
'62 SerII

64beam

Donation Time
Which 4AGE did you get? Early 16valve or later silver or black top 20 valve?
Is the Tranny the T50?

I have been looking into this engine swap for some time and I do believe it is Ideal.

The 4A-GE engine is the base engine used in the formula atlantic series and is VERY tunable. They are capable of 200 plus HP without a turbo.

I like the "Black Top" 20 valve version as it uses a MAP sensor instead of an air flow meter so the intake side is nice and compact.

All I'm waiting for is the convergence of time and money and one will be going it my series II.

There's lots of good tuning info here: http://www.billzilla.org/4agmods.htm

Keep me posted on your progress and and post lots of pix.

Good luck

Eric
'62 SerII

Hi Eric,

Not sure if they used the 4A-GE engine, but I believe there was a 20valve supercharged version in the early MR2 as well. Toyota make some awesome engines.

Regards, Robin.

Sunbeam Canada

Donation Time
I have posted some images on my website.
http://www.sunbeamcanada.org/conversions.htm

As you can see it has the Silver top valve cover however, the engine block has 7 ribs (as indicated from one of the photos). It may be Mk1 MR2 mated with the Corolla GT-S ?????

I will be picking it up next weekend unfortunately the seller does not have the history of it but he is building a Corolla GT-S.

1) For those who have used this conversion, did you use the stock T-50 transmission?
2) This acquisition came with the 3T. If I can utilize this without cutting into the transmission tunnel than that would be ideal. Otherwise, I will have to use at 2T.
3) Now if I was to use the 2T. Will it be compatible with this engine?
4) If anyone has photos of the engine/transmission mounting points on the Alpine, that would be appreciated.

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
Only vaguely related, my Alpine's closest competitor in Solo II back in the day was a guy with a gutted hopped up GTS (a new car too....). I had my 1600 race prepped engine (but still had full interior etc) and I believe we were in E-prepared. My Sunbeam was triumphant. :)

Luck to you with the conversion, the inline 4 conversions sound like a better idea than all the V-whatevers that are going on......still, l'm getting kinda anxious to see how afsanders turbo zetec runs....

64beam

Donation Time
Robin,

Any chance of you sending me photos of the mounting points on both the engine and transmission.

Also, did you have to cut any part off the Alpine?

sunbeamcanada@hotmail.com

Hi Ohan,

Sorry, but this is not my vehicle. This was a South Australian owner who I unfortunately don't have any contact details. On another note in regards to the transmission, there are gearboxes that don't require cutting of new holes (Rootes/Toyota conversion). As you are doing a complete conversion, you may need to do some measurements (hopefully you have one that will suit). Also keep in mind that some of the 4A-GE engines were front wheel drive, which will mean sourcing a new bell housing to suit rear wheel drive.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Regards, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
Luck to you with the conversion, the inline 4 conversions sound like a better idea than all the V-whatevers that are going on......still, l'm getting kinda anxious to see how afsanders turbo zetec runs....

My sentiments exactly, I love a good four pot conversion. I would have had a turbo four conversion (Nissan CA18DET engine) myself if the car I looked at wasn't such a mess.

Regards, Robin.

serIIalpine

Donation Time
As you can see it has the Silver top valve cover however, the engine block has 7 ribs (as indicated from one of the photos). It may be Mk1 MR2 mated with the Corolla GT-S ?????

2) This acquisition came with the 3T. If I can utilize this without cutting into the transmission tunnel than that would be ideal. Otherwise, I will have to use at 2T.

It looks like you have the early 16 valve engine and a RWD tranny but I can't tell which one.

The T50 is a direct bolt up and there are two RWD bell housings that will work.

Look over the site I sent you there's lots of info there.

Good luck

Eric

'62 SerII

serIIalpine

Donation Time

It looks like you have the early 16 valve engine and a RWD tranny but I can't tell which one.

The T50 is a direct bolt up and there are two RWD bell housings that will work.

Look over the site I sent you there's lots of info there.

Good luck

Eric

'62 SerII

empireweld

Donation Time
I built a supercharger setup for a guy that had a 4AGZE
in an MR2 that made 259HP at the rear wheels. We used
a .87L Autocon twin screw supercharger.

rwharvey2

Donation Time
Toyota conversion

Hi--I just got back into sunbeams. I have a alpine IV. I want to do a 4 banger conversion. This talk about the toyota engine is real appealing. Does anyone have more pictures or contacts for someone who has done the conversion. I am in the process of looking for a donor car. Not really looking at a turbo but more like a 120+ hp daily driver type. Anyone out there that can help lead me down the right path?
Rich

bashby

Donation Time
Toyota used a 2.0 liter 16 valve engine in the 1984 Camry it is RWD 5-speed and it is a very nice little motor and loves to rev about 100 HP . Yes the CA18DET should be nice but the exhaust plumbing was a pain and $$$; could not use the OEM manifold due to the steering. Hope to have mine running by Spring.