• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 Marks 1964 Sunbeam Alpine V6 Project (UK)

V6 Mark

Donation Time
Fuel Lines

Hi Guys

Did everyone with 2.8 keep the stcok fuel line? Or replace with upgraded / bigger diameter pipe/hose.

As the injection setup pumps the fuel under pressure (pump will be placed underneath and behind wheel well (in a rubber housing) I am wondering whether I should install high pressure braided lines for both supply and fuel return.

thanks as always

V6 Mark

Donation Time
Wheels

Another question - I found a set of bolt on hubs and am look ing at the Ansen Sprint Alloy (very similar to period Wolfrace Alloys fitted to Reliant Scimitars here in the UK)

Would these fit? (Jose tells me I might have to trim the front valance a little and roll in the lip on the rears) - but its the offset and backspace I'm not sure about

Size: 15X7
Finshed: 1-Piece Painted/Machined Alloy
Offset: 0
Backspacing: 4

The y seem to be available from Summit Racing at pretty reasonable prices - I should be able to get them shipped over pretty cheap if you guys give them the Stateside thumbs up

V6 Mark

Donation Time
Update and Questions

Hi guys - during this period of renewed enthusiasm it's time for an update.

Questions outstanding - fuel lines and wheels - please se earlier posts.

Work done this month (so far):
Gearbox crossmember - modified to fit Type 9 - welded in reinforcing pieces - painted with 3 coats of Hammerite black. Now ready to fit.

Gearbox painted 3 coats of Hammerite silver

Rust in radiator mounting panel (bottom) cut out. Need to make up repair section.

Engine bay insepected for rust - surface rust under front panel taken back - to be overpainted with rust preventative paint (POR 15)

Laid out and labelled wiring loom ready for installation (I think I got it right!)

Small panel repair necessary between radiator panel (in the `cheek` of the grille).

Made a pile of non required spares to be sold (to finance wheels and exhaust down the line).

- does this sound more like a restoration than a conversion?

Purchases this month so far:
New gasket kit for engine
70 amp alternator (from Capri 2.8i)
Reverse light swith for Type 9 gearbox
Oil pressure take off and braided hose
Midnight Blue cellulose spray cans (for engine bay)
8 Track player (couldn't resist it!)
Additional security locks for garage (easily neglected!)

I have also discovered a company called Swaymar produced a 3 port cylinder head for the UK 2.8i Capri !!!! - unfortunately they seem to be as rare as hen's teeth - but it momentarily gave me a glimmer of hope to be able to use Jose's headers unmodified (assuming they had the same port layout - which they probably didn't ....) Interestingly it appears they also made an inlet manifold for a 4 barrel Holly to be used with the 3.0 V6 Essex (might be nice to get one for my Scimitar!)

Oh - and I also found out `we` are pregnant with a first child... early days - but this is another omen to get a move on with the project - it kind of gives me 7 months target to finish it!

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi mark,

You don't need to go to a bigger fuel line for the V6. The size of the stock line was goog enough for 200 hp. so should be enough, though since you are using fuel injection, you will need a high pressure hose, to handle the higher pressures needed to make the fuel injection work.

I don't know what to tell you about the wheels and tires. What is the offset on the wheels you are wanting to buy? How wide are they? What is the diameter of the wheels? A guy I know, put a set of five spoke wheels on his Alpine, and he says that the guy that sold them to him, siad that they were for some FWD application. He says thar they fir perfectly, so it leaves me a bit confused. He says he didn't use any spacers in the back to move the wheels away from the rear springs.

Jose :)

V6 Mark

Donation Time
Hi Jose

The wheels I am considering are
Ansen Sprint Alloys

Open to recommendations for most suitable tyres (maybe this is all covered soemwhere else - sorry guys)

V_Mad

Donation Time
Mark, I have 15x6 inch wheels with 185x55 tyres on my Tiger, no clearance problems. I think 7 inch would be a bit on the wide side but some Beamers have fitted that size.

If you want to go for 15x7 wheels, you will have to keep your tyres down to low profile (55x195 maybe max). Also you will need offset around 24 to 28 or the front ones will stick out (and may hit the rear of the wheel arch). My wheels are effectively 22mm offset (32mm plus a 10mm spacer).

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jose

The wheels I am considering are
Ansen Sprint Alloys

Open to recommendations for most suitable tyres (maybe this is all covered soemwhere else - sorry guys)
Hi Mark,

To truely have 0 offset, they would need 3.5" back spacing. That would put the mounting face right in the middle of the 7" width. I have run 15X7.5 wide rims, with 195/50x15 tires, without too much trouble. I had to trim the front valence a bit, and bent up the inner lip on the rear fenders. If you decide to use the Ansen wheels and they rub against the rear springs, you'd just need to use a spacer to put nthe wheel exactly where you need it to be. In front, it would put the tire closer to being fully inside the fender line, so would work well.

Jose:)

Ed109

Donation Time
But now, may be there is some interest ......? I wonder if Jez (sorry I mean Ed109) is interested or perhaps he already has a plan?

Seeing as I know where you live Chris (sorry V-Mad), my plan was to come round and steal yours!

Seriously - I've a few more hurdles before I'm at headers but I'd definitely be interested if you're jigging...

Ed
(who's Jez?)

Ed109

Donation Time
Oh - and I also found out `we` are pregnant with a first child... early days - but this is another omen to get a move on with the project - it kind of gives me 7 months target to finish it!

Congratulations, Mark. Though speaking from experience (8 weeks away from number 2) you've got more like 3 months before the serious nesting kicks in and you find yourself up a ladder with a roller rather than on a roller under the motor...

I look forward to sharing posts regarding ISOFIX child seat mountings with you...!

V6 Mark

Donation Time
Hi guys - just thought I'd check in!

Our daughter (Linnea) is now nearly 4 months old and is just delightful. I unexpectedly have the opportunity to spend some more time with her due to an illness which has knocked me off my feet and will keep me off work for the next few weeks (scepticemia and pneumonia for those with medical interests).

It also means, when I'm feeling a bit stronger, that I will get back into the garage and dust off the Alpine over Christmas and get back into the project - how many times have I said this!?!?. Much of the time I should have devoted to her this year was taken up with Reliant Scimitar and Triumph Spitfire (I know, shame on me!).

I hope you are all well and let me wish you a very Merry Christmas

Mark

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Congratulations Mark!

I enjoyed my kids when they were small too. Loved bathing them in a plastic tub in the kitchen sink when they were tiny. Was a lot of fun.

Hope you recover soon and that you really get a chance to work on the Alpine. You have a beautiful car there and can't wait till you get it running and take it for the first spin. I guarantee you you won't want to drive anything else. Please let us know how it's going,OK?

Jose :D