• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Steering rack oil

alpinegt

Donation Time
Has anyone figured out a way to put oil in the steering tube without removing the rack and standing it on it's end. I know what the shop manual says but that was then and this is now.

Thanks,

Russ

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Russ,

Is your rack leaking? If it is, the safer bet would be to pull it out and get it repaired. That would be the last thing you would want to seize up while traveling at speed along a road.

Regards, Robin.

V_Mad

Donation Time
You could undo the gaiter, and just pull it out at the top; stick an oil tube in put somne in that way. Use a bottle with a pull out filler tube with an extension tube connected. Don't overfill as it will burst the gaiters, and/or leak out.

Sownman

Donation Time
A subject of immediate interest to me. I noticed an oil leak and found it was coming from a torn bellows on passenger side. I ordered new bellows which have been backordered at SS. I notice now the leak has stopped meaning the oil is gone.

Talked to a pro mechanic and owner of multiple Tigers about this 2 days ago. He showed me a spare rack he has to illustrate how easy it is to do. The instructions that I will be trying myself for the first time once the shipment arrives.....

Jack up car on one side and change bellows. Jack up car on other side as high as possible. As close as you can get to car falling over. Add 1/2 pint of oil to rack then install bellows to that high side.

Steve

Steve