• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Starter problem

SV Dick

Donation Time
I have been having trouble with consistent starting. It has been going on for a while, and I have tried things that have been suggested to me in the past, with no joy. Here is what I have done. Cleaned all grounding conections. Replaced the battery with a high capacity battery. Cleaned connections between the starter relay and the starter. Replaced the starter. Hand rotated the starter knob (on the starter itself).

What happens is just a strong click in the starter relay, but no action in the starter. Is it possible that I need to replace the starter relay or take some action beyond what I have just described?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have been having trouble with consistent starting. It has been going on for a while, and I have tried things that have been suggested to me in the past, with no joy. Here is what I have done. Cleaned all grounding conections. Replaced the battery with a high capacity battery. Cleaned connections between the starter relay and the starter. Replaced the starter. Hand rotated the starter knob (on the starter itself).

What happens is just a strong click in the starter relay, but no action in the starter. Is it possible that I need to replace the starter relay or take some action beyond what I have just described?

Dick, the next logical suspect would be the solenoid. Or as you called it, the starter relay, which is correct. Just a little unusual on this side of the pond. The next time you get just a "click", jump across the large terminals on the solenoid. If the starter cranks, the solenoid is the problem.

Bill

SV Dick

Donation Time
Thanks Nick. I don't know why I didn't think of that. Maybe old age. Anyway, that was it. Thanks again.

Dick

SV Dick

Donation Time
See, I told you old age was creeping up. Should have said thanks to Bill. I was surprised to see that Sunbeam Specialties was out of stock on the solenoids and am scrambling to find another supplier.

sammaw@bellsout

Silver Level Sponsor
you can get one that was made for a mid 60's mustang (around $10). It has the same terminals and a mounting that I believe will fit. Take your old one to the parts place to compare to be sure.

SV Dick

Donation Time
Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to get an exact replacement from an MG parts supplier. I had the thought that Lucas probably supplied the same part to many manufacturers of the same era.

V_Mad

Donation Time
It may well be the solenoid, but a weak starter/ignition switch, or poor wiring/connection could cause the same problem.