• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Standard Fuel PumpWith Uprated Carb

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I was talking to a friend regarding my upgrade to the four barrel setup and they said that I may experience some fuel starvation issues with the standard pump and an upgrade to a four barrel with wide open throttle situations. My Tiger is pretty much a stock 260 and I believe I may have to lean down the carburettor from its stock setup. From a previous post, the stock pump flows approximately 15gph but did not state the pressure. My friend said that the SU only put out about 2.5 psi. Can anyone confirm this pressure? The carburettor that I purchased is a 500 cfm unit. Any comments regarding four barrels and stock engines would be appreciated.

Thank you, Robin.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
The carb that you are going to use is a copy of the Carter AFB made buy Weber. The thing to look for in a pump is high volume and low pressure, try to keep the pressure under 4 psi as the weber does not like anything above that 4 psi, if you over pressure it the carb will flood out and shut down, if you get a pump with higher pressure you can run a regulator to hold down the pressure. I have used this setup for 15 + years and it works great!:cool:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Robin, figure that a gasoline engine uses 1 gallon of fuel every 10 horse power hours. So a 15 gallon per hour pump can support a continuous 150 hp. But fifteen gph? That's only a quart per minute. As my grandfather would say, I can piss a stream bigger than that.

Bill

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

Thank you for the replies. I had a look in the owners manual for the carburettor and it states that it requires not less than 2 psi and not more than six psi (does not state the flow rate required). I did a bit of searching around the internet last night for some more information on the standard SU pump and I think the maximum pressure for the Tiger pump is 3.8 psi although not that clear. The majority of my driving in the Tiger, would only be part throttle (cruising) but I do not want fuel issues.

Regards, Robin.

V_Mad

Donation Time
Hi Robin
Regarding a Holley carb I agree with the replies, you need a low pressure high volume fuel delivery (and I assume a Weber would be similar). The Holley and Carter pumps are a good place to look.

You can use Facet if you choose carefully, or else you will need to fit a pressure regulator to cut the pressure down (as I did with a Facet red top pump with a Holley carb!). I have a Carter rotating electric pump which I bench tested, and it has such a fantastic delivery rate it would even fuel a dragster!

64beam

Donation Time
I have a Carter rotating electric pump which I bench tested, and it has such a fantastic delivery rate it would even fuel a dragster!

Hi Chris,

I did have a Carter 4070 for my Alpine, but I ended up selling it as it was just sitting around (I also did not think I would be inheriting a Tiger so soon either). I have heard that the carter fuel pumps are very noisy. Can you confirm this?

Thanks, Robin.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Robin, the carb has no fuel quantity requirements. Your engine does. Divide expected horsepower by 10 and that is your fuel requirement in US gph.

Bill

64beam

Donation Time
Robin, the carb has no fuel quantity requirements. Your engine does. Divide expected horsepower by 10 and that is your fuel requirement in US gph.

Bill

Hi Bill,

That is really only a guess as I don't know my Tiger's true Hp. If you base that on what the WSM states (164 Bhp), the pump is already under size :confused: . What would be a more realistic figure for a stock 260 taking into account a slight Hp increase with the four barrel?

Thanks, Robin.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The 164 hp is SAE gross. When Ford started rating using SAE net, hp figures for the 302 dropped 25%. That would put the 260 at something like 125 SAE net. The 10 hp hrs/gallon figure is from Nebraska tractor testing data, so it is probably very close to SAE net. Even if the 260 was considerably underrated, I'd say the stock fuel pump would be adequate.

Bill

64beam

Donation Time
Thanks for the reply Bill. At this stage, I won't worry about fuel pump. I may even put a pressure guage on the line to physically check the pressure.

Regards, Robin.

agmason

Donation Time
Back in the day, the LAT options never said to upgrade the stock fuel pump. So the stock pump should be good. I run a standard replacement pump, one of the small square pumps, with a Edelbrock 600cfm 4bl and never had fuel starvation.

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
I, too, run the stock-style fuel pump with my Holley 465 cfm carb...no problems in the fuel delivery department.

Good luck,

V_Mad

Donation Time
Hi Chris,

I did have a Carter 4070 for my Alpine, but I ended up selling it as it was just sitting around (I also did not think I would be inheriting a Tiger so soon either). I have heard that the carter fuel pumps are very noisy. Can you confirm this?

Thanks, Robin.

The one I have is not noisy, it makes a whirring sound because it is a rotary type. I find that some reciprocating pumps (ie my Facet one) can be noisy even if mounted on rubber mounts.