• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Must be a joke!

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Obviously hooked up w/ a good salvage yard and pays someone 7.50 an hour to list all this stuff. He relys on volume and occasionally comes across a rare car he can gouge on. The best defense is a good offense. Lets list a few of our parts to under sell him. Nothing like competition to level the market.

chris

Donation Time
Man, I've given away things he wants nearly a $1000.00 for (the hood). I'm guessing onces in a while he finds a sucker.

D

Dr.NO 007

Yankee clipper

highiqinny remember this ebay name or identification. this guy must be some kind of a jerk.
he thinks the market value for a bonnet cover (hood) is $999.99. WOW to think I could sell mine and cover half the price I paid for the car in 2003.:D
I don't like his attitude or the way he replied to one of our gentleman SAOCA friends in the UK. :mad:
I suggest we all boycott any dealings with this rogue trader "highiqinny" and also as mentioned earlier as a "bad idea " as many people as possible keep his site polluted with bogus bids, email inquires, etc etc. what a good idea.
Chuck
"don't get mad, get even" :rolleyes:

65beam

Donation Time
joke

the best solution is : ignore his auctions, quit griping about him and move on . he'll be there for a long time and will continue to sell . you guys would not buy from him so let it drop. you will not stop others from buying his items either. that's like giving walmart the devil for what they do ,but it's hard to find a parking spot in walmart's lot .

alpine_64

Donation Time
that's like giving walmart the devil for what they do ,but it's hard to find a parking spot in walmart's lot .

i dont live in the USA, but i always got the impression that they got flack for moving everything offshore and then squeezing local competition out.. then sold all their stuff REALLY CHEAP.. hence why people still go there. If thats the case then this is different as this guy is charging very HIGH prices.. either way.. i agree with you about ignore him.. and if someone on the baord asks about availability and his prices.. warn them.

V6 Mark

Donation Time
Caveat Emptor

Yes I agree we should let it drop - although it's frustrating to think another Sunbeam enthusiast somewhere will see his offerings and think `Humm he's asking $999 for that hood - maybe he'll take $750 if I make an offer`

As my Grandma used to say `Caveat Emptor`, for those of you that are little rusty on their Latin - it means `Let the Buyer Beware`.

Well let's hope that buyer finds this superb forum first and can ask honest folk for more realistic valuations as well as benefit from the wealth of knowledge here. (Although I am quite poor with knowledge)

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
It is a joke but the joke is on the uninformed.

I agree with the idea to drop all of this but my thought is that we all want to restore and keep our cars on the road. It would be great to do this with the understanding that it can be affordable and fare.
Now, I gave this guy a friendly email and this is what I received back:

YOU ARE NOT BEING A PEST AT ALL. LETTERS LIKE YOURS GIVE ME A CHANCE TO EXPLAIN THE SELLERS WAY OF THINKING AND PRICING. AND THE MOST IMPORTANTS ASPECTS TO MY PRICING STRUCTURE ARE: I'D RATHER SELL LESS ITEMS FOR MORE OF A PROFIT AND PEOPLE ARE LAZY AND IMPATIENT. I SELL TO THE SAME PEOPLE WHO USE THEIR COMPUTER TO GO ON EBAY, BUT NOT TO RESEARCH FOR CHEAPER PARTS. ALSO, EVERYONE WANTS THEIR PARTS ''YESTERDAY''. BELIEVE IT OR NOT, I SOLD A SUNBEAM HEADLIGHT BEZEL FOR $150 ON EBAY. G-D BLESS THE IDIOTS OF AMERICA

He is calling the uninformed Sunbeam Owners "Idiots", not a person that I care to deal with. This is just another reason to deal with SAOCA members and continue this community. We have a great club and following and it is us who maintain the cars and friendships, if this is important to use we and then fare to deal with. Trying to keep it nice here but once a dork aways a dork but then I shouldn't say that one is unable to change.

Andrew

JonPiz

Donation Time
I have some very rare fluff from my tummy button. Now I would like to give you guys in the US and anywhere else the chance for this once in a lifetime deal. $599 or make me an offer:D

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
Rogue Ebayers

The reply that V6 Mark received was not acceptable and I'm sure that if Mark were to contact Ebay and copy the letter they would bust him. Worth a try.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I think this has been very informative.

Allan, in light of my new found respect for the value of Alpine parts, I've decided on a price for the engine.

One Millllllllion Dollars!

I'm working on a fair price for some of the ancillaries, like the throwout bearing, clutch plate, alternater and pressure plate. They are all used, but undoubtedly in respectable shape. How about $50,000?

The trannys are a real problem. One is slightly defective, the other a total unknown. I'm thinking the unknown one really has more value, as it may be a newly overhauled unit. How about $100,000 for the unknown one and $75,000 for the one that has a bad synchro and pops out of gear? I'm pretty sure it can be repaired.

Bill

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Someone with spare time on their hands and a stockpile of parts could have a little fun. Create an eBay users account very similar to this character's ebay name. Then list items for sale exactly what he is listing for sale each week but offer them at reasonable prices. State in the ad for each item that you sell parts at fair prices and promote joining the club to gain knowledge about what fair parts prices are and how that way no one will be taken advantage of.....Just a thought. Eric

Tullamore

Donation Time
the best solution is : ignore his auctions, quit griping about him and move on .

Is there a block or ignore list on eBay you can add people to, so you automatically will not see the sellers items? I would love to do that for some other people who keep posting the same worthless item in the wrong category every week.

Nickodell

Donation Time
My plan, next time some of these daffy-priced parts appear, is to pose a question: Why are you advertising this part at $990 when identical ones go for $150? Should be interesting to see this at the bottom of the advt. and his reply. Incidentally, you can be sure he's reading this forum right now!

And the ebaY market for mirrors is off the chart. There's an early one with a current bid of $330, and a later one with a plastic reflector at $190. Wish I'd bought 100 of these back when.

65beam

Donation Time
joke

eric,
you would get a bad reputation when you start selling at these prices .maybe i should do it .

atallamcs

Donation Time
crazy man

I started this discussion, sorry--did not want to bring out the worst, just trying to have some fun. I felt obligated to write to this guy and give him a list of the going prices for each of his listed items--real nice and simple presentation. Thinking maybe he would get the idea that the Sunbeam community is tight, fair and reasonable but not dumb. Never heard back. I made sure my choice of words and grammar was simple and could be understood by a fourth grader, hopefully.
Bill

64beam

Donation Time
My plan, next time some of these daffy-priced parts appear, is to pose a question: Why are you advertising this part at $990 when identical ones go for $150? Should be interesting to see this at the bottom of the advt. and his reply. Incidentally, you can be sure he's reading this forum right now!

Unfortunately, the seller has the option of posting questions on their auction page when replying :( . Until Ebay change that, some of our warnings and questions will never be seen by prospective buyers. So it's up to you if you choose to query the seller.

Regards, Robin.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Bill, what about the oil in the engine. Not sure I could afford to have such an engine with oil too:)

Allan

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill, what about the oil in the engine. Not sure I could afford to have such an engine with oil too:)

Allan

Crap!!! I think I'll just let you have the oil, even though it is probably an authentic period "piece". Sense I might be endangering a sale over a measly $5000-$10,000. So just keep it and consider it an unadvertised bonus.

Bill

JonPiz

Donation Time
;)I sent him a message trying to offer him a business proposition, as I could supply brand new windscreens (which I would buy from VB) having marked them up considerably still leaving him over $1000 profit. Do you know he wouldnt take up the offer. I bet he has decided to cut out the middle man (me) and now buy them direct from VB. He did reply also that not everyone has an IQ of 139 and knows about VB. Is 139 his IQ as I guess he is pretty stupid seeing as mines 156!!!;)

By the way the tummy button fluff only went for $300 so i cancelled the auction just before the end and will relist just in Bolivia to give them a fair chance.

napa 1

Donation Time
Someone needs to do a rough calculation, based on this joker's pricing structure, of what an Alpine would be worth as a sum of its parts. :)