• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ford 2.8I siamesed two port exhaust

EdSua

Donation Time
Does anyone know if the siamesed two port exhaust ford 2.8 v8 engine fits a Sunbeam the same as the standard three port. I found one all set up with 4 barrel carb and high performance cam for a reasonable price.
Ed

V6 Mark

Donation Time
Hi Ed

Yes it fits - V6-Mad has completed a self build conversion with that configuration - myself and another Ed (also here in the UK) are scratching our heads and a little way behind. If you are in the US you can get a full kit for the 3 port head (or everything but the headers for the 2 port heads) - Contact V6Jose or search the board for `V6 Kit`

kind regards
Mark

V6 Mark

Donation Time
oh forgot to make it clear - whether 2 port or 3 port you cannot use stock headers - there is not enough clearance - the custom headers made by Jose look superb (3 port) and lots of guys on here have them.

I have searched everywhere for an off the shelf solution for the 2 port - but there isn't one. V6-Mads 2 port headers look great (maybe now he'll make a jig......) ;)

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Ed,

I guess you are in the UK, because the U.S. spec two port headed engine, was a 2.6 V6. Only the european version two port headed engine was a 2.8 V6. The two port engine will fit the Alpine even easier than the three port one will. The only thing, is that I make a kit for the U.S. spec three port engine, which makes it easier for someone who maybe doesn't know how to make a set of headers.

Jose:)

EdSua

Donation Time
Thanks guys
Jose, does the 2.6 have less power?
This engine is in the US and it is being sold with Capri finned aluminum covers, Offy manifold w/ 4 barrel and performance cams for $450. The seller listed it as a 2.8.
This may be a mistery
EdSua

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Thanks guys
Jose, does the 2.6 have less power?
This engine is in the US and it is being sold with Capri finned aluminum covers, Offy manifold w/ 4 barrel and performance cams for $450. The seller listed it as a 2.8.
This may be a mistery
EdSua
Hi Ed,

The 2.6 engine is a good one, but it won't put out as much power as the 2.8 will. The 2.6 has another big problem, and that is that it is scarce and the parts for it are very expensive, and that is if you can even find them. The engine block is a bit weaker too, so I suggest not using it. The fact that it has Capri rocker covers, shows that it came from a Capri, (1972-1973).

Several guys are running this engine, but if you are contemplating putting a V6 into an Alpine, you would be better off going with the more available and stronger, 2.8.

Jose

EdSua

Donation Time
Thanks Jose and Mark, I will take your advise, specially about parts availability. My Sunbeam has an old 2.8 V6 that needs work and I thought this one would work, but I will stay with the 2.8 as you advise.
If anyone is interested in this engine, it is listed on Craigs List in the San Francisco Bay area under Capri - auto parts
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/546536355.html