• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

carb rebuild

66Alpine

Donation Time
happy holidays to everyone,

I am now ready to rebuild my 150 strombs..have all of the parts but am xperiencing a real B..ch of a time accessing the carb flange nuts..I can get to 1 nut on either carb but the one's that are closest to the firewall or whatever..
am I missing some cute little trick or what's the deal?
Would really like to do this asap !!!!

Thanx for any insightssssss!

Johnny

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Just a thought, remove the intake manifold w/carbs attached then work on getting the carbs off, while the whole thing is on the bench.

Tom j

Ragg Mopp

Donation Time
I did mine two years ago and used a short box end wrench that moved about 15-20 degrees each pull in the limited space available. It was slow and tedious but it eventually got them off.

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
I had the same problem. But after a while I managed to get the nut off and on again with an ordinary spanner (fork & hex-ring). I wonder how a experienced Alpiner does it? I am not a mechanic, and have only limited variety of tools available.

George Farrell

Donation Time
I would remove the mainfold, but I have also found that a really short wrench in extremely handy for situations like. What I did was cut a bargain bin combination wrench in half. It's very helpful for removing the Weber DGV I now have or dealing with the exhaust downpipe.

George

66Alpine

Donation Time
carb rebuild..

thanx 4 the suggestions on the carb rebuild...I will try to find a box end spanner or may end up taking off the the intake manifold...If I can figure that one out..and or cut my wrenches in half..The Brits make lovely autos and bikes however I suppose that none of them ever read "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" which is of course, applicable to all engines...

Have a good one,

Johnny