• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

what is something like this worth? - an Alger

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
have not yet been able to get ANY drive shaft shop to ADAPT this driveshaft to fit the rear the rear end flange. shaft is correct length, fits trans fine, but the u joint is way too large (both width and cup size) to fit the orig alpine drive shaft yoke. "drive shaft specialty Shop" said "no can do"!

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Have you tried a "conversion U joint", Seem to remember the old guy at the parts store coming up with something like that. Is there a bearing supplier in your area? try them with your dimensions. Just remember your trying to make a 4 cylinder driveshaft work with an 8 cylinder transmission. You may want to rethink the parts choice, open your wallet and get a custom driveshaft made.

Last edited:

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
Have you tried a "conversion U joint", Seem to remember the old guy at the parts store coming up with something like that. Is there a bearing supplier in your area? try them with your dimensions. Just remember your trying to make a 4 cylinder driveshaft work with an 8 cylinder transmission. You may want to rethink the parts choice, open your wallet and get a custom driveshaft made.

it's an 8 cylinder driveshaft with a 8 cyl transmission. there is No u joint with that far a stretch.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
a driveshaft shop is now cutting the end of the shaft off, changing the end, the u-joint and the yoke.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
It would depend a lot on the design and the quality of the work:
  • Firewall moved?
  • Where (height, front to back) is the engine mounted?
  • Other stuff too numerous to mention.
I suspect that even if I wanted it, which I don't, I wouldn't pay 50% of what is in it. Too many bad things can happen:
  • any or all of those "Totally NEW - never started" things may be done wrong
  • no title
If I wanted it, maybe between 2 -5K$, but I'm a cheapo.

starts right up holds 60 psi oil. engine in stock tiger location, firewall as it should be (tiger). used "front engine plate", not hanging off the rails mounts.

mikephillips

Donation Time
For anyone who wonders, yes you can put a SBF in without altering the firewall, Ken Miles proved that with his proof of concept conversion of a series 2. However the weight balance was way off and while it would go in a straight line really fast he was quoted as saying that driving it and changing directions, it was the only car that ever scared him. He kept the original Alpine steering setup, it was that far forward.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
not surprising it was scarey, the engine /trans weight needs to be behind the front wheels

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
I saw thwe car.....( was at your house selling you parts) it is nicely done and is an early car with the FIN rear........It will be a nice driver when finished...............Can anyone tell me if a C4 tranny out of a v6 2.8 mount up to a v8 ?
* Ford Has about 5 Different bell housing Bolt Patterns.* you can change "bell housings" to go with the engine you have.

Last edited:

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
It would depend a lot on the design and the quality of the work:
  • Firewall moved?
  • Where (height, front to back) is the engine mounted?
  • Other stuff too numerous to mention.
I suspect that even if I wanted it, which I don't, I wouldn't pay 50% of what is in it. Too many bad things can happen:
  • any or all of those "Totally NEW - never started" things may be done wrong
  • no title
If I wanted it, maybe between 2 -5K$, but I'm a cheapo.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
I saw thwe car.....( was at your house selling you parts) it is nicely done and is an early car with the FIN rear........It will be a nice driver when finished...............Can anyone tell me if a C4 tranny out of a v6 2.8 mount up to a v8 ?
depends, fords have 5 different bolt on bell housings !