• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

MGB or Sunbeam Alpine?

mightyohm

Donation Time
The MG has much better aftermarket support. You can get a much wider range of stock and performance parts for them. For example new timing sets with adjustable cam timing are readily available. Good luck finding that for the Sunbeam. That said, I'm sticking with the Sunbeam for now!

Jeb Stuart

Platinum Level Sponsor
MGC Roadster on bring a trailer. Sweet! BTW - don't think you'll get an unbias answer here. Just stick with Sunbeams.

65beam

Donation Time
I have a neighbor right up the street that owns 7 of the MGC- GT. He's had some cooling and carb problems but they do have remedies. There are several cars of the Alpine time period that have much better parts and go faster parts availability but many owners will tell you it's not what they're worth but many other reasons for owning Alpines. I guess that leaves you with the decision of how much time ,effort, and parts availability you're willing to invest along with how fast do you want it versus comfort. There are many advantages to the Alpine that other period cars didn't have and those advantages are known to owners that have or have owned other marques.

alpine_64

Donation Time
what is the bore & stroke of a 2120 ?
Erik,

Been a few years since guys were playing with the 2120s.. Iirc it was a very big overbore (either 90 or 110thou) and an offset grind on the crank.

This was using Mitsubishi starion turbo piatons and rods ( maybe scorpion in usa?)

In the late 90's this was the hot ticket rootes motor down under that usurped the volvo amd avenger piston motors which were about 1980cc.

The Mitsubishi piston setup was streetable and around 150hp gross with lots of torque.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I have 2 MGBs, a 79 and 80. I've driven both. I have yet to drive the Alpine. I bought it in pieces. I'm working on the 215 V8 conversion on the 79. Personally I like the styling of the Alpine better. To me the handling of the MGB reminds me of the 71 Pinto I had. Don't get me wrong the Pinto handled very well.

So Mike, three years later. Have you been able to drive the Alpine yet and have anything further to add?

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I fell in love with the SI back in 1959 when my Buddy Chamblain bought the first little Red one to enter the island. It was quarantined for 90 days by the 40 Thieves until the cc was reduced to under 1200.

Wow what a few years does for the word "quarantined."

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
So Mike, three years later. Have you been able to drive the Alpine yet and have anything further to add?
Sadly no. For some reason, I never seem to find the time. Only bought more parts and had more done to my Crown Victoria.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Parts are all in how many were made, the more there were the more others see they can sell in the aftermarket. You can still almost build a Model T from scratch for example.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have owned a TR250, a great running car until the right side IRS rusted away from it's attachment, but I really liked driving it.
I have rebuilt one MGB and never want to do that again; the Alpine is so much easier to work on and is , in my opinion , a much better looking car.

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
I've never been in a B and they've always reminded me of when I was in middle school and my uncle had two Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce's and took me to school one morning in his Silver & Black Alfa. Really nice, really small car that you literally sit on the floor in. A fan of the styling I am but a fan of the interior I am not. When I think of B's, I think of that and I'm speaking purely out of ignorance on it. Not going to lie, the sound and quick pick-up of the Spider Veloce was pretty savage.

And I have nothing against B's, either. I've watched some restoration/repair videos with B's in it and the kind of parts they use and the terminology is very strange to me and 101% British. That part is fascinating to me.

I look at the Alpine as a 'meat and potatoes' car. The construction is very straightforward. The B seems to be really complicated with all sorts of things that can go wrong.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Interesting that you mention the sound of an Alfa Romeo. I'm not sure what "savage" means to you - and if that is good or bad. In the late 70s and early 80s, the Spiders that I would hear sounded pretty bad to me. Very "tangy" - like vibrating metal with a tang. Not a roar. We go to the historic races all the time - and I have to say that I haven't cared for the Alfas there either - except for a pair of mid engined cars with the 1600 Veloce engines. But they have a totally different exhaust header and pipes than the Spiders and Guiliettas - and scream better than even many Ferraris.

And I should admit that our Elva has a 1300 Veloce engine.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Interesting that you mention the sound of an Alfa Romeo. I'm not sure what "savage" means to you - and if that is good or bad.

I would guess its to do with the induction sound from the motor with the twin dcoe/ dhla carbs..

Bolt the same onto an alpine ( as you know jay) and the engine its up very snarly with rhose 4 stacks breathing

alpine_64

Donation Time
Actually as a side note... I still remember the first time i rode as a passenger in my alpine with the dcoe setup... Maybe 1.5 after the conversion.

I couldn't believe how loud and snarly the induction was. My passengers had always said that...but being RHD the carns are on the other side and trumpets face away from the driver.

With a lhd car you sit right behind the carbs... Really intensifies the experience

Acollin

Donation Time
I have a 66 series V and a 1972 BGT.
The hard top is the go to car. I drive it in all kinds of weather and about two years ago, I put in an overdrive transmission. I really enjoy both cars, but the pacific northwest is just not great ( in my view) convertible weather and I prefer a hard top that is not prone to leaking— dry interior, good!

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
You can put a hardtop on the Alpine too. I have both a 73 MGB roadster and 65 Alpine GT Series IV. They are both basket cases and in a lot of pieces. One of these day's I'll be able to compare. Both will have hardtops.

alpine_64

Donation Time
A properly fitted hardtop either early or late series makes for a very good waterproof classic...

Now.. You could always go for a Harrington .. Or maybe an astro fastback... That way you get fastback GT and convertible