• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Radiator fan problem.

Kristian Jonsson

Donation Time
Many years there was same talk about radiator fan that did break and a wing did shoot through the bonnet. If you could see cracks close to the centre it was a sign of a coming disaster. I did on my Rapier replace the quite crude 4 blade tin fan to a modern made of plastic.
No problem today?

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
drove mine for years with a welded up crack from the PO. didn't realize it till I pulled the engine this spring.
Suposidly risky , and yes comments from someone on the site about a blade going through the bonnet.
Plastic won't do that to ya.
Do you have apart # of what you picked up?
Bob

Kristian Jonsson

Donation Time
drove mine for years with a welded up crack from the PO. didn't realize it till I pulled the engine this spring.
Suposidly risky , and yes comments from someone on the site about a blade going through the bonnet.
Plastic won't do that to ya.
Do you have apart # of what you picked up?
Bob
I don't understand your question...........

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
you mention replacing the rapier fan with a plastic one.
Just wondering if you had a part number / make for it. I want to replace the fan on my engine.
Cheers, Bob

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I believe the cracking problem has only been documented with the later fans - I think maybe just the SV ones? I replaced mine with one from a SII many years ago, but don't know how big a problem this really is.

Kristian Jonsson

Donation Time
I believe the cracking problem has only been documented with the later fans - I think maybe just the SV ones? I replaced mine with one from a SII many years ago, but don't know how big a problem this really is.

Maybe not a big problem, but the suspicion can make you sleepless! :)

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I understand. I am sure there are simple aftermarket solutions if you can't find an old one locally. Hopefully, someone here can be more specific.