• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Heat and Sound Deadener Quantity

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
Can anyone tell me how many square feet of heat insulator/sound deadener is needed to do the cabin and trunk floor of an Alpine or Tiger? Any input will be much appreciated.
Rick

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I utilized a box of Dynamat (Dynamat 10455 Xtreme Bulk Pak Sound Deadener Thermal Barrier 36 SQ. Ft) and a 2 gallon bucket of Lizard Skin (Lizard Skin 2203-2 Sound Control Formula 2-Gallons) in Blue Boy.

Please don't buy a cheap substitute (Eastwood), I did once and have regretted it every since and every day, it melts at room temperature and drips all oven the floor from "any" small hole in the Alpine.

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Please don't buy a cheap substitute (Eastwood), I did once and have regretted it every since and every day, it melts at room temperature and drips all oven the floor from "any" small hole in the Alpine.

If by “room temperature,” you mean at 35-40 degrees in (and all over the floor of) my garage last winter, then I totally agree. ;)

Lord knows what it would do in the hot sun.

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
I utilized a box of Dynamat (Dynamat 10455 Xtreme Bulk Pak Sound Deadener Thermal Barrier 36 SQ. Ft) and a 2 gallon bucket of Lizard Skin (Lizard Skin 2203-2 Sound Control Formula 2-Gallons) in Blue Boy.

Thanks Dan. Did you use both products in the same car? If so, did you put the Lizard Skin on first and cover it with Dynamat?
Rck

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dynamat first everywhere possible, then Lizard Skin brushed on in several layers

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
I would advise you to use a variety of different sound proofing products, not just Dynamat (which is excellent). If you want the car to be nicely quiet inside you want to catch a very wide range of frequencies as well just shielding yourself from outside noises. We used meltable bitumen sheets on the inside of the floors and all over the inside of the rear wheel arches, aluminium backed rubber along the outside of the transmission tunnel, dynacoat on the inside of the transmission tunnel and on the inside of the bulkhead, Silent coat 4mm inside the door skins and under the bonnet (hood) etc.

The car is extremely quiet and other Alpine owners always comment on that when riding in her.

Tim R

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
I would advise you to use a variety of different sound proofing products, not just Dynamat (which is excellent). If you want the car to be nicely quiet inside you want to catch a very wide range of frequencies as well just shielding yourself from outside noises. We used meltable bitumen sheets on the inside of the floors and all over the inside of the rear wheel arches, aluminium backed rubber along the outside of the transmission tunnel, dynacoat on the inside of the transmission tunnel and on the inside of the bulkhead, Silent coat 4mm inside the door skins and under the bonnet (hood) etc.

The car is extremely quiet and other Alpine owners always comment on that when riding in her.

Tim R

Thanks for your input Tim.
Rick

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I installed Fat Mat "Rattletrap" in my car. Lower cost than Dynamat. Used Fat Mat in my previous car with no issues over more than ten years. I bought 50 square feet, doing the cabin and trunk, it was not too much. In fact, was not able to do the doors.
Bill